Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police guns down man after he tried to flee.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    IOW you are mindlessly and unquestioningly accepting the word of someone who other DAs have been highly critical of for his handling of the case.....
    Because it supports the narrative. ASSUME facts we want and IGNORE facts that don't fit the narrative.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
      See if you can stop yourself from misrepresenting facts, MM. The police had already frisked the deceased and so knew he didn't have a gun. Certainly you know that by now.
      What facts did I misrepresent?

You also seem to think that a frisk is a flawless operation that never misses anything. Even if the police did frisk him, this in and of itself doesn't prove that he didn't have a weapon concealed somewhere, or that he didn't take it from one of the other officers.

But again, put yourself in the officer's shoes: you just wrestled with a suspect who was violently resisting arrest and who was able to fight off two full grown men; he starts running; you give chase; the suspect turns and points a gun shaped weapon at you. How do you respond? As myth has pointed out, the officer was likely operating on instinct in the split second he had to make a decision of whether or not to respond with deadly force. It's not like he had the luxury of sitting comfortably in his computer chair from the safety of his home and was able to reason the entire scenario out at his leisure.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Because it supports the narrative. ASSUME facts we want and IGNORE facts that don't fit the narrative.
        Nope. indirect sarcastic jab noted. But the truth is I will not doubt the word of a DA based on sources known to be strongly biased racially and politically. The DA is black, so as far as I am concerned the accusations being levied could very easily simply be racist rhetoric which I will treat as such until and unless there is hard evidence to support them.

This is a DA who has video evidence I do not, who produced a still consistent with a kick, and who charged the officer for the act. Characterizing my acceptance of that as some sort of arbitrary "I believe what tickles my ears" smear of my character is the sort of tactic I'd expect from Donald Trump, not a man that is the moral and spiritual leader of a Christian congregation.
        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-22-2020, 09:59 AM.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• So, let's see... deny there's a narrative, then lay out the case for the narrative based on "The DA is black".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            It was a bright yellow taser, taken FROM them, and he'd been searched for other weapons already.
            As I pointed out earlier in the thread, handguns can be purchased or customized in a variety of colors, including bright yellow...

...so just because a suspect points a bright yellow gun shaped object at you does not in and of itself guarantee that it's not a deadly weapon. And this is assuming that the officer could distinguish the weapon's color in the dark, or that the color even registered with him in the heat of the moment.

As for the earlier frisk search, I'll tell you the same thing I told Jimmy: You seem to think that a frisk is a flawless operation that never misses anything. Even if the police did frisk him, this in and of itself doesn't prove that he didn't have a weapon concealed somewhere, or that he didn't take it from one of the other officers during the fight.

Bottom line: the suspect was shot because he created a situation in which the officer felt it was necessary to defend himself with deadly force. If the suspect had quietly cooperated with the arrest then he would still be alive.
            Last edited by Mountain Man; 06-22-2020, 10:39 AM.

Comment

So, let's see... deny there's a narrative, then lay out the case for the narrative based on "The DA is black".
              ox's entire argument seems to be based on the assumptions that the DA here is a paragon of virtue and above reproach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                ox's entire argument seems to be based on the assumptions that the DA here is a paragon of virtue and above reproach.
                This entire discussion is based on an unreasonable desire that I accept gossip about a DA as truth. And because I won't do that, the ad hom's against me just keep flying.

Think about it. I chose to believe a black DA is not lying unless there is proof that is the case and that is characterized as 'the assumption that the DA here is a paragon of virtue and above reproach".
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

As I pointed out earlier in the thread, handguns can be purchased or customized in a variety of colors, including bright yellow...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45874[/ATTACH]

...so just because a suspect points a bright yellow gun shaped object at you does not in and of itself guarantee that it's not a deadly weapon. And this is assuming that the officer could distinguish the weapon's color in the dark, or that the color even registered with him in the heat of the moment.

As for the earlier frisk search, I'll tell you the same thing I told Jimmy: You seem to think that a frisk is a flawless operation that never misses anything. Even if the police did frisk him, this in and of itself doesn't prove that he didn't have a weapon concealed somewhere, or that he didn't take it from one of the other officers during the fight.

Bottom line: the suspect was shot because he created a situation in which the officer felt it was necessary to defend himself with deadly force. If the suspect had quietly cooperated with the arrest then he would still be alive.
                  Are you telling me the officers did not recognize that he was using their own taser taken from them just a few minutes before the chase?

Are you telling me that weapon in your photo was stuffed up Brooks 'ahem' or some other place on his body where such a mass would not be found when patted down?

Seriously?

Comment

So, let's see... deny there's a narrative, then lay out the case for the narrative based on "The DA is black".
                    CP, distorting my words and creating your own fake narrative of my words is called being dishonest.

It doesn't become you.

Comment

Are you telling me the officers did not recognize that he was using their own taser taken from them just a few minutes before the chase?
                      Yes.

It was dark, the suspect was running, he suddenly turned and pointed a gun shaped weapon at the officer, and the officer had literally a split second to decide whether or not to defend himself. Put yourself in the officer's shoes. How would you have responded?

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      Are you telling me that weapon in your photo was stuffed up Brooks 'ahem' or some other place on his body where such a mass would not be found when patted down?
                      Yes.

It's entirely possible for a pat-down search to miss something. It's not a perfect process, and if you really cared, you can find countless cases where this has happened, even when it seems like the weapon should have been obvious. And, as myth pointed out, during a pat-down search, unless an object is readily identifiable as a weapon then the only thing an officer can do is ask the suspect what it is. In Brooks' case, he apparently said the lump in his pocket was a wad of cash, but what guarantee did the officer have that it wasn't a pistol wrapped in a handkerchief? So Brooks, who had proven himself to be violent, had at least one unidentified object on his person, and then he suddenly turns and aims a gun shaped object at the officer. I ask again, how would you have responded in the split second the officer had to decide whether or not to defend himself?

You seem to be acting under the assumption that everything should have been as obvious to the officer in the heat of the moment as it is to us who have the luxury of leisurely analyzing videos from multiple angles from the safety and comfort of our computer chairs, and that's a stupid assumption.
                      Last edited by Mountain Man; 06-22-2020, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Perhaps this funding challenged individual could just call the mayor, and city council could issue him a debit card!

"Murderers Anonymous"!!!!! Maybe I could start a chapter in my Church!

Without laws, there would be no criminals!!! Problem solved!!!
                        They are robbing banks! They are making undocumented withdrawals.

Comment

I could care less if my question disgusts you littlejoe. It's a valid question, and, as I told rogue, the question is independent of whether the kick actually happened. Let me help you by rewording it a tad to remove any elements that might be making you think the two are somehow linked:

Are you really going to try to come up with reasons way an officer might have been justified kicking a man that was just shot and lay bleeding on the ground?
                          As long as you keep presenting made up "facts" and fail to produce evidence for them, then I will make up reasons for those made up facts. Put up or shut up Ox. Where's the evidence?
                          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            They are robbing banks! They are making undocumented withdrawals.
                            The only thing "good" about this current crisis is that it forces liberals to either endorse it or ignore it --- they can't denounce it, because it's of their own making.

This is the expected outcome of liberalism.

Comment

IF and when actual evidence surfaces the alleged kick is not real, I will discuss that.
                              Let's try something really radical and wait until there is actual evidence that there was a kick (so far all the videos just don't show any) aside from an out of context frame from a video that the DA refuses to share (while releasing all the other ones).

Your guilty until proven innocent approach is troublesome to say the least.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yes.

It was dark, the suspect was running, he suddenly turned and pointed a gun shaped weapon at the officer, and the officer had literally a split second to decide whether or not to defend himself. Put yourself in the officer's shoes. How would you have responded?

Yes.

It's entirely possible for a pat-down search to miss something. It's not a perfect process, and if you really cared, you can find countless cases where this has happened, even when it seems like the weapon should have been obvious. And, as myth pointed out, during a pat-down search, unless an object is readily identifiable as a weapon then the only thing an officer can do is ask the suspect what it is. In Brooks' case, he apparently said the lump in his pocket was a wad of cash, but what guarantee did the officer have that it wasn't a pistol wrapped in a handkerchief? So Brooks, who had proven himself to be violent, had at least one unidentified object on his person, and then he suddenly turns and aims a gun shaped object at the officer. I ask again, how would you have responded in the split second the officer had to decide whether or not to defend himself?

You seem to be acting under the assumption that everything should have been as obvious to the officer in the heat of the moment as it is to us who have the luxury of leisurely analyzing videos from multiple angles from the safety and comfort of our computer chairs, and that's a stupid assumption.
                                The "woke" thing to do is wait until you've been shot at to respond.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment