Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police guns down man after he tried to flee.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Was it necessarily obvious in the heat of the moment that it wasn't a deadly weapon? Try to think about it from the officer's perspective: a violent suspect turns and points a gun shaped weapon at you. Do you assume it's not a deadly weapon, or do you defend yourself?

Second, watch the video RumTum posted earlier that has a clip where the DA just weeks ago in another case described a taser as a potentially deadly weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvaHGQS5vqY

Of course now he's contradicting himself saying that a taser doesn't pose a threat. That's in addition to other illogical leap's like his claim that Brooks wasn't a threat because his aim was poor, but if a taser doesn't pose a threat then his aim is irrelevant. His poor aim would only be relevant if the taser did otherwise present a threat.
    not to mention that the Still photo that the DA is basing his lie about the officer was kicking him after shooting him is bunk. that video has the surveillance video from Wendy's showing the truth.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      This entire discussion is based on an unreasonable desire that I accept gossip about a DA as truth. And because I won't do that, the ad hom's against me just keep flying.

Think about it. I chose to believe a black DA is not lying unless there is proof that is the case and that is characterized as 'the assumption that the DA here is a paragon of virtue and above reproach".
      have you watched hte video I posted Ox mix if not then stop saying we are accepting gossip I showed you the proof hte DA is lying.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Let's try something really radical and wait until there is actual evidence that there was a kick (so far all the videos just don't show any) aside from an out of context frame from a video that the DA refuses to share (while releasing all the other ones).

Your guilty until proven innocent approach is troublesome to say the least.
        the Wendy's survalience video which is a clip in the Video that posted shows context that the DA doesn't want you to see. one wonders if Oxmix bothered to watch it I even told him the time stamp to start from.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          It was a bright yellow taser, taken FROM them, and he'd been searched for other weapons already.
          As much as I understand why you changed the coloring on the font I just want to say that particular shade made it much more difficult to read. I think it has to do with the fact it is yellow on a white background, which makes for poor contrast. Maybe it is a thing with my monitor, or even my sensitivity to certain lights, but scrolling through that post is blinding.

Anyone else, besides CP*, have trouble with the yellow on that post being particularly hard to read? I want to figure out if it is a me thing.

In my quote of your post I'm removing the color tag for the sake of my own eyes.

*He's colorblind, so his perception of the yellow highlight won't particularly useful in finding out if it is an issue on my end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I can't find anything but that one blurry picture that the DA showed of the supposed kick.

It just isn't clear enough to make out what his happening. I don't even see Brooks in the still. Just Rolf's shadow. And he could be doing anything, from being in mid step while running, to getting ready to bend over and help Brooks, to actually kicking him. Without the full video, we just can't tell. And I can't find that video anywhere, just that blurry still shown by the DA. That alone makes me suspicious of it.
            I posted a video with a clip from Wendy's surveillance camera that shows the context I even gave he time stamp to look at. And folks like Oxmix should be askign htemselves if the DA has the video he got the Still photo from why is he not showing that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              As much as I understand why you changed the coloring on the font I just want to say that particular shade made it much more difficult to read. I think it has to do with the fact it is yellow on a white background, which makes for poor contrast. Maybe it is a thing with my monitor, or even my sensitivity to certain lights, but scrolling through that post is blinding.

Anyone else, besides CP*, have trouble with the yellow on that post being particularly hard to read? I want to figure out if it is a me thing.

In my quote of your post I'm removing the color tag for the sake of my own eyes.

*He's colorblind, so his perception of the yellow highlight won't particularly useful in finding out if it is an issue on my end.
              It makes me sad.

Seriously, I found it particularly obnoxious, but....
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Ah, so you're departing from the narrative? Good on you!

Meanwhile, I'm very carefully stepping through the FACTS of the case, not the narrative.
                I never had a racist narrative with respect to this particular case. Are there racist cops? Obviously so. Do some of them act according to there racist biases? Most probably. Is officer Rolfe a racist, and did that bias effect his actions in this case? I have no idea with respect to either question. Did he act properly and legally, not to mention morally, by shooting and killing a fleeing suspect over a minor charge? Absolutely not. That was a total disrespect for human life which is what your narrative is in support of.
                Last edited by JimL; 06-22-2020, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                  I posted a video with a clip from Wendy's surveillance camera that shows the context I even gave he time stamp to look at. And folks like Oxmix should be askign htemselves if the DA has the video he got the Still photo from why is he not showing that?
                  Thanks.

At 5:50 you can see Rolfe stepping OVER Brooks, not kicking him.
                  Last edited by Sparko; 06-22-2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

It isn't just you

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      It isn't just you
                      Hold my beer.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        I never had a racist narrative with respect to this particular case.
                        Surprisingly, this claim is mostly true, albeit one post (dang if I didn't lose it) in which you make a protestation about "black lives" with regard to accusing the officers.
                        But, mostly true - you didn't OVERTLY make this a case about race.

But you DO have to return to the "racist" narrative....

Are there racist cops? Obviously so. Do some of them act according to there racist biases? Most probably.
                        Is officer Rolfe a racist, and did that bias effect his actions in this case? I have no idea with respect to either question.
                        Did you watch the video up to the point of the problem? Was there ANY HINT of racism on the part of either officer?

Did he act properly and legally, not to mention morally,
                        Right up to the point of Brooks turning this into a battle, absolutely.

by shooting and killing a fleeing suspect over a minor charge? Absolutely not.
                        And THEREIN lies the controversy.

Now, can we pretty much ALWAYS count on you to say something dishonest and STUPID?

That was a total disrespect for human life which is what your narrative is in support of.
                        There ya go. Both dishonest AND stupid.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Thanks.

At 5:50 you can see Rolfe stepping OVER Brooks, not kicking him.
                          And now you can see why the DA only released an out of context single image and won't release the actual video of it. Because it is a hoax using the officer as some sort of sacrificial lamb in a bid to maintain his office.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Hold my beer.
                            Pull my finger

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                              have you watched hte video I posted Ox mix if not then stop saying we are accepting gossip I showed you the proof hte DA is lying.
                              ox seems to be operating with the mindset that accusations prove guilt and that it is the defendant's responsibility to prove his innocence.

The problem with the still image is that it could reasonably be interpreted as showing any number of innocent actions. There's nothing that obligates us to take the DA at his word. Of course in ox's world that means we're racist because the DA presenting the bad argument happens to be black.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                ox seems to be operating with the mindset that accusations prove guilt and that it is the defendant's responsibility to prove his innocence.
                                That's been his approach for about four years now. Make a wild unsupported accusation and then demand that others prove it's wrong.

Comment