Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police guns down man after he tried to flee.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    I think all that you say is true, I'm still not sure I buy that he needed to die in this situation based on what happened. Almost ten times as many people are killed by the police in the US compared to my own country per capita. Something is must explain that difference. In this situation in Denmark the police would not have shot that man.
    Nobody is saying that he "needed" to die. What I'm saying is that his death was a direct result of decisions he made.

As for your other statements, there's a lot to unpack there. You imply that it's a fault of US police, but I don't think that's necessarily the case. I'm also curious why you think Denmark police wouldn't have shot in a similar situation. Is that a layman's opinion, or do you have relevant expertise?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Nobody is saying that he "needed" to die. What I'm saying is that his death was a direct result of decisions he made.
      Then let me rephrase, I don't believe even given the actions he took that he needed to die.

As for your other statements, there's a lot to unpack there. You imply that it's a fault of US police, but I don't think that's necessarily the case. I'm also curious why you think Denmark police wouldn't have shot in a similar situation. Is that a layman's opinion, or do you have relevant expertise?
      The police is the first place worth looking because they're the ones who hold the power in that situation. They're there, better armed, better trained, organized as a group, given support of law to carry out their actions and are well armed and carry bullet resistant vests.

I'm not saying they're the only source to discuss. But for someone looking into what is happening in the US a lot of people are shot in situation where it ought not happen, and then it is rather surreal to see people defend it as if it is the most natural thing in the world.

I have a father who worked as a prison guard, but no I have no direct experience with law enforcement in Denmark, only that a shooting like this would be extremely rare in Denmark. When the police do shoot and kill someone here it is frontpage news, and it is talked about. That's both because we're a smaller country, but even then we also have a lot fewer police shootings per capita than you do, by an order of magnitude.
      Last edited by Leonhard; 06-22-2020, 05:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        The yellow is difficult on my monitor too. I tweaked it a bit toward orange. But not enough. I had no idea it would be physical problem for anyone or I'd have toned it down some more.

The point though is as you guessed, bright yellow is not likely to go unnoticed.
        It's not a huge problem, but it can be a little unpleasant. I thought we had more colors than that. Perhaps when we do the upgrade we can do a proper color wheel in the "more colors" tab for changing text.

Comment

He was shot because he created a situation in which the officers had reasonable fear for their safety.
          There was nearly 45 minutes of very boring and routine interaction, during which both officers treated him professionally and respectfully, which suddenly became violent at Brooks' making.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think all that you say is true, I'm still not sure I buy that he needed to die in this situation based on what happened. Almost ten times as many people are killed by the police in the US compared to my own country per capita. Something must explain that difference. In this situation in Denmark the police would not have shot that man.
            You don't have the racial divide that we do. Do you have anything even CLOSE --- racism, classism, 'us vs them' conditions, etc?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Then let me rephrase, I don't believe even given the actions he took that he needed to die.
              Again, nobody is saying that he needed to die.

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              The police is the first place worth looking because they're the ones who hold the power in that situation. They're there, better armed, better trained, organized as a group, given support of law to carry out their actions and are well armed and carry bullet resistant vests.

I'm not saying they're the only source to discuss. But for someone looking into what is happening in the US a lot of people are shot in situation where it ought not happen, and then it is rather surreal to see people defend it as if it is the most natural thing in the world.

I have a father who worked as a prison guard, but no I have no direct experience with law enforcement in Denmark, only that a shooting like this would be extremely rare in Denmark. When the police do shoot and kill someone here it is frontpage news, and it is talked about. That's both because we're a smaller country, but even then we also have a lot fewer police shootings per capita than you do, by an order of magnitude.
              Okay.

I disagree with you on a number of points, but since we're just batting opinions back and forth, I'll let the matter rest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                You don't have the racial divide that we do. Do you have anything even CLOSE --- racism, classism, 'us vs them' conditions, etc?
                Are you suggesting that this has something to do with racism, or that there may be endemic racism, or an us vs them attitude in the police force?
                Last edited by JimL; 06-22-2020, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Sort of like the argument you made in the Arbery case. "I'm not saying he needed to die, but it was a direct result of decisions he made." Sound familiar?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    Are you suggesting that this has something to do with racism, or that there may be indemic racism, or an us vs them attitude in the police force?
                    Can you help me figure out what "indemic racism" is, please?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Can you help me figure out what "indemic racism" is, please?
                      Racism against Indians and Irish

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                        Racism against Indians and Irish
                        It's Jimgrish!

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                          Sort of like the argument you made in the Arbery case. "I'm not saying he needed to die, but it was a direct result of decisions he made." Sound familiar?
                          And?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            And therein lies the problem. Apparently you and many of your fellow officers have little regard for human life, and that lack of regard seems to be more prevelant when it comes to black lives.
                            Another false assumption. About half the cops I know, including myself, have been at least one situation in which we COULD have chosen to use deadly force and would been perfectly in the right to do so, but our natural aversion AGAINST killing another human being caused us to hesitant long enough for the situation to evolve in a different direction. You've clearly never found yourself advancing on a drunk guy with who's been terrorizing his own family, with a rifle propped up in reach in while he ignores your commands to raise his hands and starts reaching into his pockets, inside of which you've been told he has a pistol. You've not felt the training kick in as your you place your finger into the trigger guard and start to squeeze the trigger, and then pause for a fraction of second to calculate if you can get close enough to grab his arm before he could get the gun out of his pocket, knowing full well that your pause to try every means to keep from killing him is within a fraction of a second from getting you or your co-workers shot.

The willingness to kill to defend yourself and others is not the same thing as a lack of regard for human life. This is a distinction (like many others), that you fail to make. That last part of your statement is wholly without factual basis as well. Try again, using facts. Maybe you could try using Google and looking for academic literature, or is that too complicated for you?
                            "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

It was not a lethal weapon MM. It was not a gun.
                              Just like cars, baseball bats, and golf clubs are not lethal weapons, right? All things that when used in certain ways can be considered lethal weapons and justify the use of deadly force. Try again.
                              "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

I answered you to the extent your accusations and hyperbole had any actual correlation to what I've said. The rest, the stuff you just made up out of whole cloth that are irrelevant to the points I'm trying to discuss - I just ignored that stuff. Sometimes when people are so completely out in left field that it would take hours of careful wording to correct (and which they'd just ignore anyway), I just don't even waste my time.
                                Right, so I'm a trained criminal investigator that does this for a living, but what I've said is out in left field? No, you're keyboard warrior that can't back up his claims or rebut mine, and you're claiming lack of time as an excuse. And that excuse is partially truthful, I'm sure. It would take a lot of time for you to research issues which you know nothing about so that you can even begin to formulate a response. Which, you know, is also an indicator that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Comment