Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police guns down man after he tried to flee.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police guns down man after he tried to flee.

Trying to find more sources for this one.

Source: The Guardian

Rayshard Brooks, 27, was shot dead on Friday night after police were called to the restaurant over reports that he had fallen asleep in the drive-through line. The incident, which was caught on video, looked set to fuel more nationwide demonstrations about the treatment of African Americans by police in the wake of the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis.
    Video shot by a bystander captures Brooks struggling with two officers on the ground outside the Wendy’s before breaking free and running across the parking lot with what appears to be a police Taser in his hand. A second video from the restaurant’s cameras shows Brooks turning as he runs and possibly aiming the Taser at the pursuing officers before one of them fires his gun and Brooks falls to the ground.
    "You can’t have it both ways in law enforcement," Stewart said. "You can’t say a Taser is a non-lethal weapon ... but when an African American grabs it and runs with it, now its some kind of deadly, lethal weapon that calls for you to unload on somebody."

© Copyright Original Source

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-man-shot-dead

Managed to snag the raw unedited bodycam video, I'll be looking at it later. Right now I don't know who is to blame here, I just want the facts up.

(Warning: Violence and Profanity)

Comment

The little I've watched so far seems to be fine the officer appears to have handled it quite well, he's calm and collected. I've only got three minutes in and I've got a lot of house cleaning and stuff today.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        Managed to snag the raw unedited bodycam video, I'll be looking at it later. Right now I don't know who is to blame here, I just want the facts up.

(Warning: Violence and Profanity)
        Right you can't tell, he certainly did resist arrest and it look like the cops tried to use a stun gun first.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Trying to find more sources for this one.

Source: The Guardian

Rayshard Brooks, 27, was shot dead on Friday night after police were called to the restaurant over reports that he had fallen asleep in the drive-through line. The incident, which was caught on video, looked set to fuel more nationwide demonstrations about the treatment of African Americans by police in the wake of the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis.
          Video shot by a bystander captures Brooks struggling with two officers on the ground outside the Wendy’s before breaking free and running across the parking lot with what appears to be a police Taser in his hand. A second video from the restaurant’s cameras shows Brooks turning as he runs and possibly aiming the Taser at the pursuing officers before one of them fires his gun and Brooks falls to the ground.
          "You can’t have it both ways in law enforcement," Stewart said. "You can’t say a Taser is a non-lethal weapon ... but when an African American grabs it and runs with it, now its some kind of deadly, lethal weapon that calls for you to unload on somebody."

© Copyright Original Source

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-man-shot-dead
          According to the local ABC affiliate the deceased had failed a field sobriety test and was struggling with two officers -- both who had tased him to no effect.

Here is the Associated Press version: Atlanta police chief resigns after fatal police shooting

It appears that during the struggle, Brooks broke free, ran off and then turned and pointed something at one of the officers (which appears to have been one of the tasers that he took from one of the cops) resulting in the officer opening fire.

I guess he should have waited to see what it was Brooks was aiming at them before responding.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            It appears that during the struggle, Brooks broke free, ran off and then turned and pointed something at one of the officers (which appears to have been one of the tasers that he took from one of the cops) resulting in the officer opening fire.
            I have a hard time believing they couldn't tell it was one of their tasers he took. We've heard that excuse a hundred times before. Everything from a phone to a drivers license is apparently a gun.

I guess he should have waited to see what it was Brooks was aiming at them before responding.
            I don't buy that they didn't know that it was just a tazer.

Or, I don't know, they could have used rubber bullets. Or anything reasonable.
            Last edited by Leonhard; 06-14-2020, 04:57 AM.

Comment

I have a hard time believing they couldn't tell it was one of their tasers he took. We've heard that excuse a hundred times before. Everything from a phone to a drivers license is apparently a gun.

I don't buy that they didn't know that it was just a tazer.

Or, I don't know, they could have used rubber bullets. Or anything reasonable.
              First, he may have taken it from the other officer during the struggle. IOW, the one that fired the three rounds may not have been aware that Brooks had taken it. All he saw was someone aiming a weapon at him. Someone who was drunk and violent. Second, what the hell was Brooks thinking by pointing anything that looks like a gun at police officers he's been fighting with? That is a guaranteed way to get yourself shot.

Finally, it's dark. Brooks spins around with a gun-like object in his hand and points it at you. Are you saying that the officer should wait until he knows exactly what is in this drunk, violent person's hands before reacting? Maybe he should wait and change ammo to rubber bullets during that time.
              Last edited by rogue06; 06-14-2020, 05:44 AM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Oh, and spinning around and taking aim at police with something hardly constitutes what the title of the thread says.

Comment

First, he may have taken it from the other officer during the struggle.
                  He did. That much is clear from testimony so far.

IOW, the one that fired the three rounds may not have been aware that Brooks had taken it. All he saw was someone aiming a weapon at him. Someone who was drunk and violent. Second, what the hell was Brooks thinking by pointing anything that looks like a gun at police officers he's been fighting with? That is a guaranteed way to get yourself shot.
                  I can't defend Brooks turning around and shooting, and I agree, that is a quick way to get yourself shot. However, it was a taser. And tasers aren't lethal weapons.

Finally, it's dark. Brooks spins around with a gun-like object in his hand and points it at you. Are you saying that the officer should wait until he knows exactly what is in this drunk, violent person's hands before reacting? Maybe he should wait and change ammo to rubber bullets during that time.
                  I don't think unless I get to be put in a similar position that I'll believe that they couldn't tell he was holding a taser.

Secondly, I wasn't aware that lethal ammunition was default. Why even have rubber bullets if you're always going to use lethal ammunition?

Comment

Oh, and spinning around and taking aim at police with something hardly constitutes what the title of the thread says.
                    At the time those were the only facts I knew. A man had been gunned down while attempting to flee the police.

Comment

He did. That much is clear from testimony so far.

I can't defend Brooks turning around and shooting, and I agree, that is a quick way to get yourself shot. However, it was a taser. And tasers aren't lethal weapons.
                      So I guess the officer should have just stood there and waited until Brooks pulled the trigger and then only after determining whether or not he had been shot could the officer respond

I don't think unless I get to be put in a similar position that I'll believe that they couldn't tell he was holding a taser.
                      Maybe they should start using all bright yellow models like what I've seen used by the Brits, but this is pretty much what Brooks would have been pointing at the officer -- in the dark.

Secondly, I wasn't aware that lethal ammunition was default. Why even have rubber bullets if you're always going to use lethal ammunition?
                      Rubber bullets are only issued in crowd control situations (FWIU usually for long arms and not sidearms which still contain standard ammunition)

Comment

So I guess the officer should have just stood there and waited until Brooks pulled the trigger and then only after determining whether or not he had been shot could the officer respond
                        Fair point I'll have to admit, but it is a stupid situation.

Maybe they should start using all bright yellow models like what I've seen used by the Brits, but this is pretty much what Brooks would have been pointing at the officer -- in the dark.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]45609[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]45610[/ATTACH]
                        Yeah that would make a lot more sense, because that thing looks far more like a gun than I thought they would. I definitely didn't expect it to have the same color!

Comment

In the light of how much like a gun a taser looks I'll have to admit that rogue06 is right. I would have expected something this

Comment

In the light of how much like a gun a taser looks I'll have to admit that rogue06 is right. I would have expected something this

I think we should start using them to help prevent things like this from reoccurring.

Comment

Fair point I'll have to admit, but it is a stupid situation.

Yeah that would make a lot more sense, because that thing looks far more like a gun than I thought they would. I definitely didn't expect it to have the same color!
                              Leon, I would LOVE for you to go through the "shoot / don't shoot" training like in my thread on Quannel X --- he got "woke" really quickly about how difficult this is.

He got "killed" a number of times for not responding quickly enough, and he emptied his whole magazine at a "perp" without realizing it, after so much complaining about why cops "empty their whole clip".
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment