Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Jesus said He was the Good Shepherd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
    I rely on someone who teaches Greek.

I also rely on Daniel B. Wallace.
    Good for you.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
      I believe Jesus really said this, and meant that we are the sheep, and he is our shepherd. I'm surprised your source didn't mention Psalm 23! The Lord is my Shepherd. It seems this source is making a mess of what should be plain Scripture.

Blessings,
      Lee
      Hypatia_Alexandria has refused to say what page number in John Ashton's book this interpolation is mentioned which leaves me to believe that Hypatia-Alexandria made it up.

Comment

Hypatia_Alexandria has refused to say what page number in John Ashton's book this interpolation is mentioned which leaves me to believe that Hypatia-Alexandria made it up.
        I made it quite clear in our earlier exchange [on a totally different board] concerning your contentions alleging that "The Scriptures were preached orally for sometime before being written down." for which you have yet to provide any evidence, and my own comment on Ashton.

The ball, as they say, is in your court. It might be sensible to make any reply on the Apologetics 301 board.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

And I would agree, indeed with you, Christian3.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Zebiri View Post
            And I would agree, indeed with you, Christian3.
            I can assure you that Prof. John Ashton was a real person.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
              I can assure you that Prof. John Ashton was a real person.
              Nobody said he wasn't.

Comment

Nobody said he wasn't.
                You are free to read his book.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                  You are free to read his book.
                  There are different versions of Ashton's book. Type out the table of contents of the book you have or the start of the table of contents.

Comment

There are different versions of Ashton's book. Type out the table of contents of the book you have or the start of the table of contents.
                    Instead of issuing orders you would do well to consider your own reluctance to provide supporting evidence. You have made the contention that "The Scriptures were preached orally for sometime before being written down."

I am still waiting for you to provide any evidence for that comment.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

John 10: 11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep."

Someone said referring to this verse: "The phrase occurs in the periscope of John 10:1-21 and there are various interpretations for this passage and its imagery. It has been suggested that it is a later interpolation, along with chapter 6:15-17 and most of chapter 11. Other interpretations see it as the Johannine author’s adaptation of Matthew chapters 9&10. It can also be seen as continuing the shepherd tradition found in various books of the Septuagint [Zechariah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel]"

Is that true?

Thanks.
                      I think the Shepherd-imagery in St John refers primarily to the Davidic Kingship of Jesus, but also recalls the imagery of Isaiah 40, in which God is the Shepherd of Israel. Anyone who has listened to Handel’s “Israel in Egypt” will also be aware of the use of Shepherd-imagery for God’s care of Israel in the Exodus.

BTW: “periscope” should be “pericope”.

Comment

John 10: 11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep."

Someone said referring to this verse: "The phrase occurs in the periscope of John 10:1-21 and there are various interpretations for this passage and its imagery. It has been suggested that it is a later interpolation, along with chapter 6:15-17 and most of chapter 11. Other interpretations see it as the Johannine authors adaptation of Matthew chapters 9&10. It can also be seen as continuing the shepherd tradition found in various books of the Septuagint [Zechariah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel]"

Is that true?

Thanks.
                        I think Jesus is indicating His Kingship, and its character, which is a main theme of the Gospels, including JGosp. I can’t see any exegetical or thematic reason to regard it as interpolated.

In the OT, Shepherdship over Israel, whether human or Divine, is associated with Kingship. Unsurprisingly, since the very same metaphor for kingship is recorded as having been used in Babylonia and Assyria - two nations familiar to Israel.

John 10 also echoes Isaiah 40 - JHWH is the shepherd of the “flock” of stars.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X