Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The issue that led to the Right becoming Pro-Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The issue that led to the Right becoming Pro-Life

The campaign in the nineteenth century to criminalise abortion was led by two particular groups. One was made up of Protestant nativists who feared that the influx of millions of migrants into the USA would result in a large population of “foreign” and/or Catholic children being born. This group perceived that a ban on abortion would ensure that the number of white “desirable” American children would remain high and act as a counter to the foreign babies being born. The other group was led by the eugenicists who feared that access to legal abortion would suppress the birth rates of the wealthy “better” women. As noted by Leslie J Reagan “White male patriotism demanded that maternity be enforced among white Protestant women

This was exemplified by comments made by Horatio Storer, a Bostonian doctor who lamented in his tract of 1867 Why Not? A Book for Every Woman that “abortions are infinitely more frequent among Protestant women than among Catholic”, and went on to ask of his [female] audience whether “the great territories of the far West, just opening to civilisation, and the fertile savannas of the South now disenthralled” [this was published barely two years after the end of the Civil War] would be “filled with our own children of those of aliens”?

Yet by the middle of the twentieth century abortion, while mostly illegal, continued to be widely practised in the USA.

In her latest work, The Power Worshippers: Inside the Dangerous Rise of Religious Nationalism, Katherine Stewart devotes a chapter to Abortion and the Christian Right. The chapter is very illuminating.

According to Stewart the notion that is held among many Christians today that, in general, Protestants have always opposed abortion and that the Republican Party has likewise been the "party of life" is a complete myth.

From the late 1960s many Southern evangelicals held that abortion was a deeply personal issue in which government shouldn’t play a role. In 1968, a symposium sponsored by the Christian Medical Society and Christianity Today, the flagship magazine of evangelicalism, refused to characterise abortion as sinful, citing “individual health, family welfare, and social responsibility” as justifications for ending a pregnancy.

Stewart also points out that when the Supreme Court handed down its decision on Roe v. Wade, W. Barry Garrett the Washington bureau chief of the Baptist Press wrote, “Religious liberty, human equality, and justice are advanced by the Supreme Court abortion decision.” W. A. Criswell, the Southern Baptist Convention’s former president and pastor of First Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas, also one of the most famous fundamentalists of the 20th century, was likewise pleased noting, “I have always felt that it was only after a child was born and had a life separate from its mother that it became an individual person, and it has always, therefore, seemed to me that what is best for the mother and for the future should be allowed

Two years earlier in 1971 the Southern Baptist Convention had endorsed a resolution that called for the legalisation of abortion in order to preserve the “emotional, mental, and physical health of the mother”.

So why did everything change?

The answer, it would appear, comes down to politics and money, in particular tax exemption.

Since the late 1960s there were those among the Right wing and/or religious political activists who wanted change. These individuals were angry at the way they perceived society was developing with increasing liberalism, the rise of feminism, and also the civil rights movement, which they considered challenged Southern views of self determination concerning segregation.

Enter stage left one Paul Weyrich, a conservative Christian political activist who had formed his political thinking during the Goldwater campaign of 1964 and who coined the phrase “moral majority”. Weyrich was viscerally anti-Communist, economically libertarian, and was deeply distrustful of the civil rights movement. From the late 1970s he became a figurehead for The New Right and would go on to establish, or play a valuable role in, a number of prominent groups of the Right [Heritage Foundation, the American Legislative Council, and the Free Congress Foundation the Council for National Policy].

Weyrich reasoned that if the Right could access the religious vote it would have power within its reach and he urged televangelists like Falwell, Robinson, and Robertson to become involved in conservative politics.

Weyrich knew that one of the issues of primary concern to many leading white Southern pastors, including Bob Jones Sr. and Jerry Falwell was the fear that their educational institutions might be deprived of their lucrative tax advantages. Both Falwell and Jones endorsed and practised segregation and Weyrich knew that they [and others] feared the Supreme Court might end tax exemptions for segregated Christian schools.

As Stewart notes, ”It would be hard to overestimate the degree of outrage that the threat of losing their tax-advantaged status on account of their segregationism provoked. As far as leaders like Bob Jones Sr. were concerned, they had a God-given right not just to separate the races but also to receive federal money for the purpose

According to Stewart what was needed by this group on the Right was an issue that could rally broad conservative support and provide an acceptable appeal. However, Weyrich quickly realised that defending tax advantages for racially segregated “whites only” schools was not going to be it.

Other issues were considered [anti-Communism, anti-Feminism, school prayer] and rejected. Finally, according to Randall Balmer [himself an evangelical Christian as well as a historian] it was in 1979 “a full six years after Roe, that evangelical leaders, at the behest of conservative activist Paul Weyrich, seized on abortion not for moral reasons, but as a rallying-cry to deny President Jimmy Carter a second term. Why? Because the anti-abortion crusade was more palatable than the religious right’s real motive: protecting segregated schools

For those who are interested I do recommend Ms Stewart's work.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Very interesting.

In very many cases the "Christian Right" is neither Christian nor right.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

The history proposed in the original post is interesting. It does suggest that different motives both for and against legalized abortion under different circumstances. It is surprising that people ever thought of abortions so lightly or so cleverly. There also is the reminder how the masses are led into political movements in so many cases -- probably in most cases. (I had briefly thought about the political persuasion of the masses recently. Some of my thoughts pertained to propaganda for the wars. Some thoughts pertained to the current covid-19 media.) It is too bad that eugenics again is being carried forth by the current promotion of abortions.

I'm not exactly sure how to handle the situation of women getting abortions, but abortions certainly should be minimized. The Democrats have been trying to maximiz

Hopefully Christians will continue on this advanced degree of understanding of the sins of abortion. Knowledge is growing.
      Last edited by mikewhitney; 06-15-2020, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
        Very interesting.

In very many cases the "Christian Right" is neither Christian nor right.
        The funny thing is that the early Christian church was decidedly anti-abortion. So, the pro-life position is both Christian, AND right.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          The funny thing is that the early Christian church was decidedly anti-abortion. So, the pro-life position is both Christian, AND right.
          Wasn't this whole thing Tassman's screed?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I just find it interesting how the left reports on the moral majority era, like those politicians somehow represent today's conservative mindset. But they are the first ones to throw a hissy over the KKK being founded by the Democrats of the time. Like evolving thought is somehow not permitted on the right.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I just find it interesting how the left reports on the moral majority era, like those politicians somehow represent today's conservative mindset. But they are the first ones to throw a hissy over the KKK being founded by the Democrats of the time. Like evolving thought is somehow not permitted on the right.
              Isn't "evolving thought" "progressive"?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The OP ignores the role Roman Catholism had in the modern pro-life movement. My understanding the pro-life movement got going by Roman Catholics and Protestant then discovered the common ground.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Isn't "evolving thought" "progressive"?
                  I prefer calling it a return to sanity.
                  That's what
                  - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I think it would be more accurate to note that the severe and unremitting condemnation of abortion and infanticide, which was widely practised within contemporary Hellenistic society, was a visible mark of the writings of various ante and post Nicene ECFs and of course it was Judaic teachings for the respect towards all human life that influenced such views.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Do you hold to the opinion that the ideas that were being promulgated from the late 1970s among the Christian right and the so-called "Moral Majority" have had absolutely no influence whatsoever on American Christians today?
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Liberals claim that the parties switched labels at some point, so, as the rationalization goes, all the past sins of the Democrat party are really the sins of today's Republicans.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

What happened is what happened CP. It's not a matter of who presents the history. It's a matter of whether the history is correct.
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                            Do you hold to the opinion that the ideas that were being promulgated from the late 1970s among the Christian right and the so-called "Moral Majority" have had absolutely no influence whatsoever on American Christians today?
                            Not at all. I am saying much of their rationale has been rejected, but the overall ideas have merit and have been supported differently than back then.
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                              I think it would be more accurate to note that the severe and unremitting condemnation of abortion and infanticide, which was widely practised within contemporary Hellenistic society, was a visible mark of the writings of various ante and post Nicene ECFs and of course it was Judaic teachings for the respect towards all human life that influenced such views.
                              Hence... Christian.
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment