Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gorsuch: liberal hero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gorsuch: liberal hero

The SCOTUS has just decided that federal law protects gay/transgender employees from being fired because of their sexuality/identity. Justice Gorsuch, generally considered a conservative, sided with the liberal justices in this decision.

Source: CNN

Washington (CNN)Federal civil rights law protects gay, lesbian and trangender workers, the Supreme Court ruled Monday.

The landmark ruling will extend protections to millions of workers nationwide and is a defeat for the Trump administration, which argued that Title VII of the Civil Rights Act that bars discrimination based on sex did not extend to claims of gender identity and sexual orientation.
    The 6-3 opinion was written by Justice Neil Gorsuch and joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and the court's four liberal justices.

This story is breaking and will be updated.

© Copyright Original Source

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/polit...ase/index.html

For the record, I don't consider myself a liberal, and I don't consider Gorsuch a hero. The thread title is an exaggeration, though I do think the SCOTUS decision was the right one. I also think it's interesting to point out when law makers / adjudicators don't fall into neat little ideological boxes like this...
    Last edited by Whateverman; 06-15-2020, 09:26 AM.

Just saw this, and haven't studied yet...

If I 'identify' as a black woman, can I sue for discrimination when I was passed over for promotion as a white male?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Just saw this, and haven't studied yet...

If I 'identify' as a black woman, can I sue for discrimination when I was passed over for promotion as a white male?
      You can sue for discrimination independent of what SCOTUS thinks about this case...

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
        You can sue for discrimination independent of what SCOTUS thinks about this case...
        Sure, but it's the cases that rise to SCOTUS level that set the precedents.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The SCOTUS has just decided that federal law protects gay/transgender employees from being fired because of their sexuality/identity. Justice Gorsuch, generally considered a conservative, sided with the liberal justices in this decision.

Washington (CNN)Federal civil rights law protects gay, lesbian and trangender workers, the Supreme Court ruled Monday.

The landmark ruling will extend protections to millions of workers nationwide and is a defeat for the Trump administration, which argued that Title VII of the Civil Rights Act that bars discrimination based on sex did not extend to claims of gender identity and sexual orientation.
          The 6-3 opinion was written by Justice Neil Gorsuch and joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and the court's four liberal justices.

For the record, I don't consider myself a liberal, and I don't consider Gorsuch a hero. The thread title is an exaggeration, though I do think the SCOTUS decision was the right one. I also think it's interesting to point out when law makers / adjudicators don't fall into neat little ideological boxes like this...
          Sad since the Civil Rights act never had orientation in mind when written...But not unexpected given the political climate.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Well I wonder if this also applies to any other groups out there, like say Christians. In the UK we already have protected characteristics that are illegal to discriminate against. However they don't work as worded. Religion is supposed to be one of those characteristics but Christians don't seem to be protected while others are.

Comment

I consider myself a liberal, and I didn't like the way Gorsuch was appointed, but I've heard him speak concerning his roll on the court and he seems to be a reasonable and unbiased interpreter of the law. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
                Well I wonder if this also applies to any other groups out there, like say Christians. In the UK we already have protected characteristics that are illegal to discriminate against. However they don't work as worded. Religion is supposed to be one of those characteristics but Christians don't seem to be protected while others are.
                I maintain when right collides with right, in the US at this time, Christianity will lose.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                  I maintain when right collides with right, in the US at this time, Christianity will lose.
                  Probably...
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
                    I'm going to need particular examples of what you're referring to.

A Christian can't legally be fired from his/her job for simply being a Christian (though there are a tiny number of exceptions which apply just as much to atheists, Muslims, Jews, etc). Insofar as something like this has actually happened, that Christian would have legal protections, just as transgender people now have.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      I consider myself a liberal, and I didn't like the way Gorsuch was appointed, but I've heard him speak concerning his roll on the court and he seems to be a reasonable and unbiased interpreter of the law. Time will tell.
                      He has sided on occasion with the liberal-leaning Justices before, though he tends to vote more often with the other side. You're right; his track record will take time to become clear.

Comment

I'm going to need particular examples of what you're referring to.

A Christian can't legally be fired from his/her job for simply being a Christian (though there are a tiny number of exceptions which apply just as much to atheists, Muslims, Jews, etc). Insofar as something like this has actually happened, that Christian would have legal protections, just as transgender people now have.
                        It's not at all uncommon for somebody to find "another reason" to fire whom they will.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          It's not at all uncommon for somebody to find "another reason" to fire whom they will.
                          Of course.

To be blunt, this is one of the reasons unions exist: employers can easily find ways of getting rid of employees they don't want - for whatever reason.

Still, being fired because your employee says you're under-performing is a far cry from being fired because you're Christian (or atheist, Muslim, homosexual, black, etc). If the termination breaks the law, it's the employee's responsibility to demonstrate this.

Just because a Christian gets fired doesn't mean they were fired for being a member of their specific religion. Most of the time when I've asked for evidence of religious persecution against Christians in the west, the evidence mysteriously gets hard to find, or the example of it happening is barely on the fringe (and thus doesn't represent anything more than an incident - rather than a societal trend).

I don't want to blow the thread topic away, but it's obvious that a certain sector of Christianity wants to believe it's under persecution. If a Christian tells their employer "I'm a Christian", and then gets fired immediately afterwards, I would expect that employer to suffer legal penalties, because that's a clear case of discrimination. Nevertheless, most of the examples of persecution Christians point to are in non-western countries (where liberties/rights are harder to come by), or otherwise make assumptions that there's no attempt to justify.
                          Last edited by Whateverman; 06-15-2020, 01:34 PM.

Comment

It's not unexpected. Past precedent said discrimination in employment is usually unconstitutional. This doesn't apply that much to the Title IX suits upcoming though.
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I'm relieved.

Comment