Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hillary's 2016 running mate claims that the U.S. "created" slavery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillary's 2016 running mate claims that the U.S. "created" slavery

Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va), who is probably most memorable for being completely forgettable, declared during a speech on the Senate floor yesterday that "the United States didn't inherit slavery from anybody. We created it." This wasn't some off the cuff remark that he bungled, but was part of a prepared speech almost certainly proof read by his staff.

To absolutely nobody's surprise the MSM is totally ignoring this brazen attempt to rewrite history.

And we almost had this guy as or Vice President.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va), who is probably most memorable for being completely forgettable, declared during a speech on the Senate floor yesterday that "the United States didn't inherit slavery from anybody. We created it." This wasn't some off the cuff remark that he bungled, but was part of a prepared speech almost certainly proof read by his staff.

To absolutely nobody's surprise the MSM is totally ignoring this brazen attempt to rewrite history.
    Oh brother...

Sound more like hyperbole than historical revisionism. If you want an example of the latter, look no further than the Republican/conservative claim that the Revolutionary War wasn't about slavery...

Better him than Sarah Palin...

Comment

I can't tell if it's just that they don't care about facts when they're pandering, it's just all about the pander and that's all that matters, or they assume the folks they're pandering to -- specifically the social media crowd -- don't know the facts enough to question it. I tend to lean towards the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
        Oh brother...

Sound more like hyperbole than historical revisionism. If you want an example of the latter, look no further than the Republican/conservative claim that the Revolutionary War wasn't about slavery...
        Revolutionary?
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
          Oh brother...

Sound more like hyperbole than historical revisionism. If you want an example of the latter, look no further than the Republican/conservative claim that the Revolutionary War wasn't about slavery....
          I'd love for you to try to demonstrate that it was.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            Revolutionary?
            Ya know, one of them thar wars.

(I bet he meant the War of Northern Aggression)
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Same here in the UK. People don't know their history Apparently we need to feel guilty about slavery when not only did we abolished it but afterwards put 40% of our taxes into our navy to police the seas to bring about the end of the slave trade altogether.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Africa_Squadron

The Royal Navy established the West Africa Squadron at substantial expense in 1808 after Parliament passed the Slave Trade Act of 1807, an Act for the Abolition of the Slave Trade. The squadron's task was to suppress the Atlantic slave trade by patrolling the coast of West Africa.[1] With a home base at Portsmouth,[2] it began with two small ships, the 32-gun fifth-rate frigate HMS Solebay and the Cruizer-class brig-sloop HMS Derwent. At the height of its operations, the squadron employed a sixth of the Royal Navy fleet and marines. In 1819 the Royal Navy established a West Coast of Africa Station and the West Africa Squadron became known as the Preventative Squadron.[3] It remained an independent command until 1856 and then again 1866 to 1867.

Between 1808 and 1860 the West Africa Squadron captured 1,600 slave ships and freed 150,000 Africans.[1]
              Oh yeah, it's good to be British

1920px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
              “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
                Same here in the UK. People don't know their history Apparently we need to feel guilty about slavery when not only did we abolished it but afterwards put 40% of our taxes into our navy to police the seas to bring about the end of the slave trade altogether.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45722[/ATTACH]
                Don’t you know, you’re supposed to feel guilty about things your ancestors might have done.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Ya know, one of them thar wars.

(I bet he meant the War of Northern Aggression)
                  Even so, he is wrong about it being hyperbole.

Kaine was quite adamant about it repeating how the U.S. created slavery several times and even claiming "It got created by the Virginia general assembly and the legislatures of other states." Now even if he he meant here rather than the world at large (where slavery has been going on from time immemorial) he ignores the fact that the first slaves brought to the U.S. was in 1619[1] -- some 170 years before there was a United States.

1. Some historians say that there were slaves brought here even earlier but that only serves to reinforce my point.

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                    Don’t you know, you’re supposed to feel guilty about things your ancestors might have done.
                    But never proud of them for the good things they did.
                    “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Even so, he is wrong about it being hyperbole.

Kaine was quite adamant about it repeating how the U.S. created slavery several times and even claiming "It got created by the Virginia general assembly and the legislatures of other states." Now even if he he meant here rather than the world at large (where slavery has been going on from time immemorial) he ignores the fact that the first slaves brought to the U.S. was in 1619[1] -- some 170 years before there was a United States.

1. Some historians say that there were slaves brought here even earlier but that only serves to reinforce my point.
                      The libs are destroying statues and names, why not history?
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Here's the context of what he said:
                        “There was no law mandating slavery on our shores when African slaves came ashore in 1619. Did slavery already exist in the world? Of course. But not in the laws of colonial America at the time,” Kaine explained. “We could have been a nation completely without the institution. But colonial legislatures and courts, and eventually the U.S. legal system, created the institution on our shores and maintained slavery until the 13th Amendment. As I said, we didn’t inherit it. We chose to create it.”

He acknowledged that it existed as an institution prior to colonial America but that we Americans chose to institute it here and didn't inherit it.

Comment

But never proud of them for the good things they did.
                          That’s only if they happen to be Caucasian.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B. View Post
                            Here's the context of what he said:
                            “There was no law mandating slavery on our shores when African slaves came ashore in 1619. Did slavery already exist in the world? Of course. But not in the laws of colonial America at the time,” Kaine explained. “We could have been a nation completely without the institution. But colonial legislatures and courts, and eventually the U.S. legal system, created the institution on our shores and maintained slavery until the 13th Amendment. As I said, we didn’t inherit it. We chose to create it.”

He acknowledged that it existed as an institution prior to colonial America but that we Americans chose to institute it here and didn't inherit it.
                            I wasn’t alive 400 years ago, so I no more ‘choose it’ than I choose for lots of bad actions to occur.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45722[/ATTACH]
                              Speaking of the British...

Slavery existed on the North American continent under the British flag for well over twice as long as it did under the U.S. flag.

Comment