Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Face Masks Reqd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Face Masks Reqd?

I'm confused here. I read an article saying our governor is now requiring face masks in public indoor spaces.

I check the governor's announcements and did not an announcement of this change by him.

I finally found this confusing document for the guidance about face masks. Here is the
    ]
    GUIDANCE FOR THE USE OF FACE COVERINGS
    Because of our collective actions, California has limited the spread of COVID-19 and associated hospitalizations and deaths in our state. Still, the risk for COVID-19 remains and the increasing number of Californians who are leaving their homes for work and other needs, increases the risk for COVID-19 exposure and infection. Over the last four months, we have learned a lot about COVID-19 transmission, most notably that people who are infected but are asymptomatic or presymptomatic play an important part in community spread. The use of face coverings by everyone can limit the release of infected droplets when talking, coughing, and/or sneezing, as well as reinforce physical distancing. This document updates existing CDPH guidance for the use of cloth face coverings by the general public when outside the home. It mandates that face coverings be worn state-wide in the circumstances and with the exceptions outlined below. It does not substitute for existing guidance about social distancing and handwashing.

Guidance
    People in California must wear face coverings when they are in the high-risk situations listed below:
    * Inside of, or in line to enter, any indoor public space;
    There is no statement of the authority of any statements made here nor of the applicability date.

There is no indication of the penalty. It probably should be a death penalty for every family where a member is not wearing a face mask.

The information is contradictory. The headings keep stating that this is a guideline, that the document is providing guidance. Yet the wording states that "People in California must wear face coverings." So, are they providing recommendations that people must wear face masks?

Also, the masks are to help reinforce social distancing. But masks are only needed when social distancing is not possible.

I like this new word too: presymptomatic. Maybe we can get other words like quasisymptomatic, pseudosymptomatic, and subsymtopmatic.

Another document was properly dated April 1, 2020
    https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID...-Guidance.aspx

Yeah. I believe his administration has quite a few ... interesting policy writing skills.

Like the CalVet director who sent out the memo after the Governor put our vets home here in Barstow on the chopping block in his PROPOSED budget submission. Said memo assured that all would be well over the next two years as they moved to carry out the PROPOSED shuttering.

Talk about jumping the gun. But I'll tell you what..it got the attention of a whole lot of people including our Assemblyman who sits as vice chair on the Assembly budget board. We had not one but two drive by rallies at the Home that just about filled this entire town. Because of a memo saying they would carry out a PROPOSED budget cut. The PROPOSAL is dead in the water for now.

On top of the very confusing memos and revisions thereof throughout this coronavirus from the same adminstration. Way to go, Governor.
    Last edited by DesertBerean; 06-18-2020, 08:13 PM.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

It is good you got notice early enough to act on it

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
        It is good you got notice early enough to act on it
        I'm sure we would have noticed it anyway but having the head honcho of the California Veterans Administration announce it before it was even approved REALLY shocked us and all that energy just spilled over.

I really don't know what he was thinking...maybe it was a deliberate attempt to undercut the Governor? Or just incompetence like with this new mask order? Dunno.

Comment

Here's a news article with complete (I think!) list and exceptions for the mask order:

https://www.kron4.com/health/coronav...side-the-home/

Comment

Is this the kind of thing you were talking about?

Persons for whom wearing a face covering would create a risk to the person related to their work, as determined by local, state, or federal regulators or workplace safety guidelines.

....because I'm not sure what they're talking about either.

Comment

The primary thing I was pointing out was the ambiguity between stating that this is a guideline when the guideline says "you must wear one."

I, of course, have questioned the usefulness of masks, based on various things I've seen. So, I'm just wondering what sort of authority they claim here and why the document is confusing.

The clause you point out might apply to areas where oxygen levels might already be low -- working near a smelters or other firery processes -- working in high altitude cities. Probably a lifeguard who would be hindered by a mask that got wet. There is probably some jobs where they already knew that face masks should not be worn because it might block off air to those workers.

Comment

Ah I see what you mean about the guidelines.

And thanks for explaining that paragraph. It didn't occur to me that somebody like a lifeguard would not wear a mask.

Comment