Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Racist left think that black people should not appear on food packaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
    How is that relevant to the thread's topic?

Do you have any information demonstrating that the political affiliation of Quaker Oats is liberal, let-alone "radical leftist"?
    Quite. Quaker Oats is a business. Businesses try to increase their sales. Quaker Oats thinks this helps to accomplish that goal. The Free Market has adjusted (something the pro-free market conservatives should be applauding)- I imagine several other products will make similar changes in the near future.

Though I read elsewhere the main issue conservatives have with this is that it demonstrates their diminishing influence in society (diminishing, not gone). This is the same reaction we get when a big corporation puts a same sex couple in their advertising. There was a time when conservatives felt big corporations represented them and their values. Now, their market place power is so small, no one in the boardroom worries about a "conservative backlash."

I think there's something to be said for that, actually. Not least because a change like this doesn't negatively effect conservatives so there's no need to get their panties in a wad over it.

Comment

The woman actually existed, and she was a slave. The issue about whether to keep her image as part of the brand has been around for more than a decade, so this aint new.
      She was a slave before she was hired as a model for the brand. Her name was Nancy Green. This is something she choose to do after being freed. Also not to mention she used the money from this work to put towards the equal rights movement. As for Uncle Ben's when I read up on it the logo was created in 1946.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Ben%27s

Last edited by Darth Ovious; 06-19-2020, 09:20 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Also, have we seen what the picture looked like originally? The images above are merely the modern take on the auntie character. Not to mention that 'uncle' and 'aunt' are themselves problematic brand names, given their history in this context.

[edited] I was referring to the aunt Jemima picture in this particular instance

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
          Also, have we seen what the picture looked like originally? The images above are merely the modern take on the auntie character. Not to mention that 'uncle' and 'aunt' are themselves problematic brand names, given their history in this context.

[edited] I was referring to the aunt Jemima picture in this particular instance
          I have the original image as well as a portrait of Nancy Green.

Old Aunt Jemina.jpg

220px-Aunt_Jemima,_AB_Frost.jpg

Portrait comes from Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Green

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
            Nobody is crying over Aunt Bessie though. They are reading too much in this if they think people are looking at these brands and think the term Aunt or Uncle is racist. Like I said when growing up and looking at Uncle Ben's I didn't think it was racist. I just saw a picture of a happy black man. Things change in meaning over time. I expected the left to know this since they change the meaning of words every 5 minutes.

Aunt-bessies_logo.jpg
            Last edited by Darth Ovious; 06-19-2020, 09:33 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

How is that relevant to the thread's topic?

Do you have any information demonstrating that the political affiliation of Quaker Oats is liberal, let-alone "radical leftist"?
              My wife had a WHOLE COLLECTION of various Aunt Jemima syrup bottles -- BOXES of them. In one of our moves, she donated or gave them away. At breakfast this morning, she bemoaned the fact that those, now, would be quite valuable collectors' items.

ETA: Hmmmmm..... maybe they were Mrs Buttersworth, cause I can't find any images of Aunt Jemima bottles in the form of a character.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
                Nobody is crying over Aunt Bessie though. They are reading too much in this if they think people are looking at these brands and think the term Aunt or Uncle is racist. Like I said when growing up and looking at Uncle Ben's I didn't think it was racist. I just saw a picture of a happy black man. Things change in meaning over time. I expected the left to know this since they change the meaning of words every 5 minutes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45775[/ATTACH]
                Aunt Bessie is not a symbol of the slaves and later the black servants ('the help') in the white homes payed a pittence for their time and made to enter by the back door not the front lest they be 'out of their place'.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  Aunt Bessie is not a symbol of the slaves and later the black servants ('the help') in the white homes payed a pittence for their time and made to enter by the back door not the front lest they be 'out of their place'.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

So when buying a product with a picture of a black person on it your first thought is "ugh a slave".

OK got it

And the reaction to this is to remove images of black people altogether from packaging. Oh how progressive. Not change the name you think is offensive, but just remove the image which only shows a picture of a happy black person. That makes sense.

Seems to me the far right is driving this campaign.

Comment

The irony is that those brands and their iconic imagery have always been viewed positively by Americans, but liberals are saying, "These iconic and positive pieces of American culture should not be allowed to exist because the people depicted are black." Seriously, how messed up is that?
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
                        So when buying a product with a picture of a black person on it your first thought is "ugh a slave".

OK got it

And the reaction to this is to remove images of black people altogether from packaging. Oh how progressive. Not change the name you think is offensive, but just remove the image which only shows a picture of a happy black person. That makes sense.

Seems to me the far right is driving this campaign.
                        Those symbols were created during that time and reflect that background. Just like the confederate flag was from the civil war and represents the fight to preserve the institution of slavery.

That is what they depict, and for many, that is something they do not cherish or find 'quaint'. And for many, it is in fact hurtful they remain, and that the white people that often unwittingly perpetuate their oppression don't understand what they mean - or perhaps don't even care.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          The irony is that those brands and their iconic imagery have always been viewed positively by Americans, but liberals are saying, "These iconic and positive pieces of American culture should not be allowed to exist because the people depicted are black." Seriously, how messed up is that?
                          I never, in my wildest imagination, looked at any of those items and had a racist thought. Hate is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            I never, in my wildest imagination, looked at any of those items and had a racist thought. Hate is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.
                            Now there is an example of 'holier than thou', if you were wondering.

And it doesn't matter what they mean to you CP. It matters what they actually represent, what they actually derive from, and what they represent to the people they depict. These images hail back to the time when white people had payed black help in their homes - a lower class by race and by law that knew their place and worked hard for nearly nothing. That is where they hail from, that is their source.
                            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-19-2020, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              As usual, you distort and build strawmen to demean others. I don't think most black people today want to go back to the time when black people worked in white peoples homes for a pittance, when they rode in the backs of buses by law and were regularly lynched for looking at a white women the wrong way. THAT is the time which generated these images, and that is the time and the culture these images represent and call into remembrance for those whom they offend.

Aunt Jemima was specifically the exploited image of a slave women that became a cook and evolved over time. Uncle Ben's is not as clear in that he was a farmer, a rice grower known for the quality of his rice and cooking but was not the owner of 'Uncle Ben's itself, meaning that again there is a certain element of exploitation involved.
                              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-19-2020, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Those symbols were created during that time and reflect that background. Just like the confederate flag was from the civil war and represents the fight to preserve the institution of slavery.
                                Uncle Ben's image is from 1946 like I posted above. Many years after the abolition of slavery. Aunt Jemina modelled for this when she became a free woman and they have CHANGED the image years ago to avoid the Mama stereotype. If you are talking about working for a pittance well many people worked for a pittance back then so I don't think that's an argument. People back then were poorer in general than they are today.

Please answer these questions. What kind of picture of a black person do you think should be on a branding package? and how would they be visibly different from those shown?

That is what they depict, and for many, that is something they do not cherish or find 'quaint'. And for many, it is in fact hurtful they remain, and that the white people that often unwittingly perpetuate their oppression don't understand what they mean - or perhaps don't even care.
                                Or the meaning has changed. The point in showing the image of Aunt Bessie was to show a different interpretation of looking at the pictures. More of a family member who you would visit over the holidays and perhaps they would bake cookies for you kind of feeling. In other words a wholesome family image.

Also you are treating black people like a monolithic here. I know of black people who don't like the idea of removing these images and feel like it is black people just being erased. Sure I am picking non-left wing examples here but both Anthony Brian Logan and Eric July (YoungRippa59) don't like removing these brandings but they don't get a voice do they? I'll include both their vids below in case you want to watch but if you don't have the time it's ok.

Comment