Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Racist left think that black people should not appear on food packaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Racist left think that black people should not appear on food packaging

So apparently they are going to replace the logo for the syrup brand Aunt Jemima because they think black people are offensive.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53083664

US company Quaker Oats has announced it will rename its Aunt Jemima line of syrups and foods, acknowledging the brand was based on a racial stereotype.
    Now other brands are following suit. Uncle Ben's, Mrs Butterworth and Cream of Wheat have made announcements that they too are going to be reviewing their packaging also. The message I am being told here by the left is that they think black people should not be allowed on food packaging. I don't see anybody trying to cancel Aunt Bessie, but then again she is white and according to the left having white people on packaging is fine.

Aunt Jamina & Uncle Ben's.jpg

Mrs Butterworth.jpg

cream-of-wheat-720x405.jpg
    “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
    So apparently they are going to replace the logo for the syrup brand Aunt Jemima because they think black people are offensive.
    That's seriously what you took from this story? I understand purposefully misunderstanding something and playing dumb to make a partisan point- but just checking that's actually what you're doing, or if the obvious had completely escaped you?

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
      That's seriously what you took from this story? I understand purposefully misunderstanding something and playing dumb to make a partisan point- but just checking that's actually what you're doing, or if the obvious had completely escaped you?
      Th only product out the lot I've actually used is Uncle Ben's because as you'll know that is all we get in the UK really on our supermarket shelves. I didn't grow up thinking "wow this product is racist", I just saw a happy black man on a product package. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Bear in mind when you respond, they are not changing the name. If the name is offensive then why not change that? They are removing the black person off their packaging.
      “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

At this point the "obvious" escapes most of us in the US.

I did hear some in the leftist crowd want to blow up Mount Rushmore. I'm sure leftists will deny it. Just like they deny abolishing police departments, while they call for it at the same time.

I think the obvious thing here is radical leftists are pushing normal leftists into becoming radical leftists.

That seems obvious to me.

Comment

I remember reading the memoirs of a medical missionary who spent much the early 1960s in parts of the developing world.

Mothers were very reluctant to buy baby food, given that most other tinned and packaged food showed the product.

Hence tinned tomatoes showed tomatoes, packet rice showed rice, and baby food showed... a baby!
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53083664

Now other brands are following suit. Uncle Ben's, Mrs Butterworth and Cream of Wheat have made announcements that they too are going to be reviewing their packaging also. The message I am being told here by the left is that they think black people should not be allowed on food packaging. I don't see anybody trying to cancel Aunt Bessie, but then again she is white and according to the left having white people on packaging is fine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45767[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45768[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45769[/ATTACH]
            Nobody is as stupid as you are pretending to be.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              Nobody is as stupid as you are pretending to be.
              It's almost like the far right have infiltrated the far left and are getting them to do this.

Comment

And while the whole world is focused on all-things-black, a butter company quietly removed a minority image from its packaging.

https://www.bizjournals.com/bizwomen....html?page=all

old.jpg

1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                  I remember reading the memoirs of a medical missionary who spent much the early 1960s in parts of the developing world.

Mothers were very reluctant to buy baby food, given that most other tinned and packaged food showed the product.

Hence tinned tomatoes showed tomatoes, packet rice showed rice, and baby food showed... a baby!
                  And Girl Scout cookies.....
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

So if...

Corn Starch is made from corn.
                    Vegetable oil is made from Vegetables.
                    Tomato sauce is made from tomatoes.

What is baby powder made from?
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

They need to lighten up the color of the syrup and bottle on Mrs. Butterworth. It's too brown.

Comment

The woman actually existed, and she was a slave. The issue about whether to keep her image as part of the brand has been around for more than a decade, so this aint new.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                          The woman actually existed, and she was a slave. The issue about whether to keep her image as part of the brand has been around for more than a decade, so this aint new.
                          I think it goes back farther than that, in this case.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Maranatha View Post
                            I think the obvious thing here is radical leftists are pushing normal leftists into becoming radical leftists.
                            How is that relevant to the thread's topic?

Do you have any information demonstrating that the political affiliation of Quaker Oats is liberal, let-alone "radical leftist"?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I think it goes back farther than that, in this case.
                              I wouldn't be surprised.

When I first heard about this story, the talking head mentioned an op-ed in some large newspaper - 2015 if I remember correctly - suggesting that she be removed. I don't have any other information on exactly how long this issue has been around, though, so I erred on the side of caution (aka. more than a decade)

Comment