Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Racist left think that black people should not appear on food packaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
    Nope.

Is anyone complaining about pictures of a black woman on hair coloring products?
    Not quite. They are complaining about being excluded instead.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2...stry-diversity

When I started writing about beauty, almost 15 years ago, it was nothing to do with race. My reasons were pragmatic. I was a freelance fashion writer, work had dried up, so I turned my hand to writing everything and anything because at that time, in the timeless words of Gwen Guthrie, Ain’t Nothing Going on But the Rent. And I was irked by the way beauty was written – fluffy and asinine, as if for one-dimensional airheads. I made a conscious decision to go against that. Unconsciously, however, my foray into the beauty world was driven by my blackness and the industry’s rejection of it. My route to realising that was surprising, even to me.
    “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Former slave -- who used her financial freedom to become an activist and promote antipoverty programs.

You know, 10 years ago if someone demanded that we start yanking black people from marketing imagery they would be looked at as being racist. But now...
      Criticism of these specific advertising campaigns was a trope throughout Kevin Willmott's (brilliant and very funny) Confederate States of America movie which I believe is at least 15 years old. Nobody thought of Willmott as racist; there was quite a lot of positive buzz about it locally at least.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

... You're being a contrarian ....
        This is about me, isn't it?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Nope.

Is anyone complaining about pictures of a black woman on hair coloring products?
          Give them time. These sort of things have always started by targeting the lowest hanging fruit first.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Give them time. These sort of things have always started by targeting the lowest hanging fruit first.
            And, often, like the Me Too movement, they come back to bite the very agitators that started the whole thing.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              Criticism of these specific advertising campaigns was a trope throughout Kevin Willmott's (brilliant and very funny) Confederate States of America movie which I believe is at least 15 years old. Nobody thought of Willmott as racist; there was quite a lot of positive buzz about it locally at least.
              Criticism and actual removal are not the same thing.

But yeah, maybe I shoulda said 20 years

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                I'm a leftist, and I think companies should package their products however they see fit. Apparently these company's think it's time for a change, that's all. According to the Aunt Jemima bottle pictured above, they already changed the image in the past. I never really noticed the change, or even heard about it, because I never consumed the stuff anyway. Is there some kind of wide spread leftist protest going on that I'm not aware of?
                It's a twitter campaign according to NBC

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-says-n1231260

Aunt Jemima has come under renewed criticism recently amid protests across the nation and around the world sparked by the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis police custody.
                People on social media called out the brand for continuing to use the image and discussed its racist history, with the topic trending on Twitter.
                New York times wrote an opinion piece in regards to other brands.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/19/o...-branding.html
                “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  This is about me, isn't it?
                  Nope. Bacon.

Thread winner in accordance with Jed's Law.

I miss Jed

Comment

No, they basically aren't. You're being a contrarian simply because your argument doesn't have a leg to stand on - for the reasons I've laid out, but which you've ignored.
                    Like I said, how could something like a picture of a smiling black man in a chef's uniform that has always been a positive piece of Americana be construed as racist? Nobody would care if they were illustrations of white people. It's only because they are iconic images of black people that liberals have a problem. It's stupid.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Like I said, how could something like a picture of a smiling black man in a chef's uniform that has always been a positive piece of Americana be construed as racist? Nobody would care if they were illustrations of white people. It's only because they are iconic images of black people that liberals have a problem. It's stupid.
                      It seems that now the preferred image of a black man is one with a mostly naked woman on the ground at the knees of some scowling thug (look at the "album covers" of rappers for numerous examples).

Talk about propagating negative stereotypes.

Comment

It seems that now the preferred image of a black man is one with a mostly naked woman on the ground at the knees of some scowling thug (look at the "album covers" of rappers for numerous examples).

Would I be considered a racist if I referred to that as "toxic African-Americanism"?
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

CNN are saying the next brands to do a makeover are:

1) Darlie Tootpaste

2) Washington Redskins

3) Chiquita

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/19/b...ita/index.html

The first one and the third one already rebranded.

darkie-racist-toothpaste.jpg

Yeah, their earlier image here is actually racist. It's a distorted caricature.

Chiquita_Brands_Logo_2018.jpg

And this is Chiquita's current logo. Personally I don't get any negative vibes from that. Some of their older stuff looks quite racist though.

Another article seems to suggest Eskimo Pie is on the chopping block too. The article is behind a paywall though so I couldn't read it apart from the free bit in the headline.

Eskimio Pie.jpg

Awww seriously. He's cute. Why would you want to get rid of him?
                          Last edited by Darth Ovious; 06-19-2020, 03:59 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Next, we will resort to having to buy products in plain brown wrappers.

(wait, I said brown - that's racist)

Comment

They've also targeted Coco Puffs saying the monkey is racist

Will they next target Froot Loops as anti-gay?

Comment

Not exactly an image for a good role model is it?

I know Kanye West is married to Kim Kardashian and all but I was surprised to hear his last album is supposedly quite a positive religious one, although I've not heard it personally.

Jesus Is King Album.jpg

Comment