Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 127

Thread: Self-righteous vandals

  1. #1
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    65,431
    Amen (Given)
    14180
    Amen (Received)
    29041

    Self-righteous vandals

    Self-righteous vandals

    Do we have any moderate lefties here who clearly denounce this violence?

    Violent left-wing activists have taken to styling themselves as antifa, short for ‘anti-fascists’, though their street-fighting tactics resemble nothing so much as the Brownshirt thuggery practiced by fascists themselves. This did not stop NPR national political correspondent Mara Liasson from likening these hooligans to the heroes of World War Two. On the anniversary of D-Day, June 6, while America’s cities still smoldered after days of riots and looting, Liasson took to Twitter to call the Normandy invasion the ‘biggest antifa rally in history’.

    Dumb jokes are nothing new on Twitter. For many liberals today, however, it’s no laughing matter. They really do think that America is fascist, at least whenever a Republican is in the White House, and so petty vandalism is actually a heroic act of resistance. Knock the head off a statue of Columbus, smash the glass of every storefront on the street, and you’re defeating Adolf Hitler all over again. Such is the state of historical literacy and what passes for the moral imagination among many with comfortable perches in the national media. You would think that if they had a problem with the establishment, they should throw the first rock at a mirror. Spare the innocent shopkeepers who pay the price for antifa antics. Plenty of them are black or immigrants themselves, if that’s what matters to the worthies of NPR.

    Activist academics, for their part, have played a larger role in inflaming the lawlessness. In other lands, archaeologists are people who strive to preserve the monuments of the past. Five years ago in Syria, Khaled al-Asaad, the 83-year-old chief of antiquities for the ancient ruined city of Palmyra, was kidnapped and tortured for a month by Islamic State militants, yet he refused to disclose the whereabouts of the artifacts they sought, and they killed him. In America on May 31 this year, an Egyptologist at the University of Alabama at Birmingham named Sarah Parcak — a Guggenheim Fellow, to boot — tweeted out detailed instructions to protesters on how to tear down a 1905 Confederate military memorial obelisk in her own city. The soldiers and sailors of the Confederacy gave their lives for a state that upheld slavery, of course. But the Palmyrene empire had slaves, too. Would Prof Parcak encourage her followers to finish the job that Isis began?

    .......
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  2. #2
    tWebber Starlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,891
    Amen (Given)
    2856
    Amen (Received)
    1928
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Do we have any moderate lefties here who clearly denounce this violence?
    I clearly denounce your quoted news piece. What pathetic drivel written by a moron. Why do you waste our time with it?

  3. Amen DivineOb, JimL amen'd this post.
  4. #3
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,289
    Amen (Given)
    173
    Amen (Received)
    174
    I doubt many would have a problem with moving the statues to a museum. So the quoted example is beyond vacuous.

  5. #4
    Technology Staff Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,914
    Amen (Given)
    1131
    Amen (Received)
    3501
    I have only denounced the pulling down of these statues.

  6. #5
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,162
    Amen (Given)
    2282
    Amen (Received)
    1764
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Self-righteous vandals

    Do we have any moderate lefties here who clearly denounce this violence?

    Violent left-wing activists have taken to styling themselves as antifa, short for ‘anti-fascists’, though their street-fighting tactics resemble nothing so much as the Brownshirt thuggery practiced by fascists themselves. This did not stop NPR national political correspondent Mara Liasson from likening these hooligans to the heroes of World War Two. On the anniversary of D-Day, June 6, while America’s cities still smoldered after days of riots and looting, Liasson took to Twitter to call the Normandy invasion the ‘biggest antifa rally in history’.

    Dumb jokes are nothing new on Twitter. For many liberals today, however, it’s no laughing matter. They really do think that America is fascist, at least whenever a Republican is in the White House, and so petty vandalism is actually a heroic act of resistance. Knock the head off a statue of Columbus, smash the glass of every storefront on the street, and you’re defeating Adolf Hitler all over again. Such is the state of historical literacy and what passes for the moral imagination among many with comfortable perches in the national media. You would think that if they had a problem with the establishment, they should throw the first rock at a mirror. Spare the innocent shopkeepers who pay the price for antifa antics. Plenty of them are black or immigrants themselves, if that’s what matters to the worthies of NPR.

    Activist academics, for their part, have played a larger role in inflaming the lawlessness. In other lands, archaeologists are people who strive to preserve the monuments of the past. Five years ago in Syria, Khaled al-Asaad, the 83-year-old chief of antiquities for the ancient ruined city of Palmyra, was kidnapped and tortured for a month by Islamic State militants, yet he refused to disclose the whereabouts of the artifacts they sought, and they killed him. In America on May 31 this year, an Egyptologist at the University of Alabama at Birmingham named Sarah Parcak — a Guggenheim Fellow, to boot — tweeted out detailed instructions to protesters on how to tear down a 1905 Confederate military memorial obelisk in her own city. The soldiers and sailors of the Confederacy gave their lives for a state that upheld slavery, of course. But the Palmyrene empire had slaves, too. Would Prof Parcak encourage her followers to finish the job that Isis began?

    .......
    Perhaps you should focus your attention on the actual "white supremecist terrorist organizations" rather than on the anti-fascists. Interesting how conservatives have turned anti fascism into a bad thing and interesting too how you automatically accept the notion that the violence and the inflaming of lawlessness is coming from Antifa when the FBI calls white supremecist groups the greatest terrorist threat, despite Trump and Barrs claims to the contrary.

  7. Amen Starlight amen'd this post.
  8. #6
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    65,431
    Amen (Given)
    14180
    Amen (Received)
    29041
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Perhaps you should focus your attention ...
    Why would I want to take advice from you, Jim? Why would ANYBODY want to take advice from you?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  9. Amen Bill the Cat amen'd this post.
  10. #7
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    65,431
    Amen (Given)
    14180
    Amen (Received)
    29041
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    I clearly denounce your quoted news piece. What pathetic drivel written by a moron. Why do you waste our time with it?
    Why does it not surprise me in the least that you can't discern the difference between a "news piece" and an opinion?

    Nor should it surprise me that you can't simply denounce violence or anarchy.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  11. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  12. #8
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,162
    Amen (Given)
    2282
    Amen (Received)
    1764
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Why would I want to take advice from you, Jim? Why would ANYBODY want to take advice from you?
    Because it's obvious that following your own advice leads you to stupidville.

  13. #9
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    65,431
    Amen (Given)
    14180
    Amen (Received)
    29041

    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Because it's obvious that following your own advice leads you to stupidville.


    I must have really hit a nerve. You are a riot.
    It's like somebody calls you the class clown, and you get into character and prove them right.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  14. #10
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,868
    Amen (Given)
    5617
    Amen (Received)
    23959
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Perhaps you should focus your attention on the actual "white supremecist terrorist organizations" rather than on the anti-fascists. Interesting how conservatives have turned anti fascism into a bad thing and interesting too how you automatically accept the notion that the violence and the inflaming of lawlessness is coming from Antifa when the FBI calls white supremecist groups the greatest terrorist threat, despite Trump and Barrs claims to the contrary.
    Yeah I am sure White Supremacists are going around tearing down confederate statues.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •