Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas governor recommends mask usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I believe God has a sense of humor.
    One completely absent from the bible?

Sure. We'd all like a God in our own image.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
      Not at all.

He created ME!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Houston Protesters Begin to Fall Ill With Coronavirus After Marching for George Floyd

https://www.newsweek.com/houston-pro...JHpH-KJYtnbJJc
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I find that odd, because "a Merry heart doeth good like a medicine". Most of my good Christian friends have wonderful senses of humor.
          As Petra lead guitarist Bob Hartman once said, "We read about fun in the Bible, so we tried it, and it works."
          Last edited by Mountain Man; 06-27-2020, 11:48 PM.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

There are actually some very funny passages in the Bible. And I don't mean "funny" in the way that ignorant skeptics might think but genuinely and intentionally funny.

For instance, passages like Matthew 7:

"Which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent?"

Do you really think Jesus said that solemnly with a straight face?

Comment

I believe God has a sense of humor.

Oh, I don't know about that. It seems that God, anthropomorphically speaking, enjoys a good laugh as we can seen for instance in Psalm 2:2–4 which declares that when "The kings of the earth set themselves ... against the Lord and against his Anointed” then "He who sits in the heavens laughs." We see the same sort of laughter expressed in Psalms 37:13; 59:8.

And there are humorous incidents reported in the Bible. The British biblical scholar Frederick Fyvie Bruce cites in his The Acts of the Apostles: The Greek Text with Introduction and Commentary "Rhoda's excitement at hearing Peter's voice mak[ing] her forget to open the door and let him in" after his miraculous release recounted in Acts 12:13-14 as an example.

Scripture Verse:

And when he knocked at the door of the gateway, a servant girl named Rhoda came to answer. 14 Recognizing Peter's voice, in her joy she did not open the gate but ran in and reported that Peter was standing at the gate

© Copyright Original Source

And the historian of religion, Conrad Hyers, notes in his And God Created Laughter: The Bible as Divine Comedy how Christ "freely used humor, irony and satire" pointing to His quips about someone diligently cleaning the outside of a cup while leaving the inside filthy and the straining out of a gnat but then swallowing a camel as examples.

Finally, who can doubt that Elijah was enjoying a good laugh when he was mocking the priests of Baal by telling them to "Cry aloud, for he is a god. Either he is musing, or he is relieving himself, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he is asleep and must be awakened." (I Kings 18:27).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                And there are humorous incidents reported in the Bible. The British biblical scholar Frederick Fyvie Bruce cites in his The Acts of the Apostles: The Greek Text with Introduction and Commentary "Rhoda's excitement at hearing Peter's voice mak[ing] her forget to open the door and let him in" after his miraculous release recounted in Acts 12:13-14 as an example.

Scripture Verse:

And when he knocked at the door of the gateway, a servant girl named Rhoda came to answer. 14 Recognizing Peter's voice, in her joy she did not open the gate but ran in and reported that Peter was standing at the gate

© Copyright Original Source

This one is hilarious. I've always wondered what was going through Peter's mind in that moment.

"Uh... hello? Can I come in?"

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  Houston Protesters Begin to Fall Ill With Coronavirus After Marching for George Floyd

https://www.newsweek.com/houston-pro...JHpH-KJYtnbJJc
                  But, but, the story is that there are no increases in COVID due to the protests! Only because of Trump's rallies!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    But, but, the story is that there are no increases in COVID due to the protests! Only because of Trump's rallies!
                    Please stop trying to make this about politics. This is a serious virus that is killing people. The 'narrative' is do what the science is telling us is the best thing to do.

The science is that indoor spaces with unmasked people just a foot or two from each other for a few hours is the worst possible situation for spread. Masked people in crowds outdoors is not nearly as bad, but is still not good.

But sometimes people respond in ways that are destructive, like the idiots that beat and even killed people over being asked to wear masks.

One of those events is the protests. You cant stop them. But you can hope that mask wearing and being outside minimizes spread. And for the most part, so far, that has seemed to be the case. But maybe not it in Houston.

But just like the crazies willing to kill over not wearing masks, sometimes you just have to back off even though it's not the best. That doesnt mean the medical recommendations are false or optional. It just means there is only so much you can do with a population that will not do what is best.

What you can do Sparko is stop feeding on and supporting the misinformation that is undermining the best outcome wrt the virus. If all the people inclined to think like you are will just stop giving place to anti-science misinformation and conspiracy theories, we just might yet be able to turn this thing around.
                    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-29-2020, 08:52 PM.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      Please stop trying to make this about politics. This is a serious virus that is killing people. The 'narrative' is do what the science is telling us is the best thing to do.

The science is that indoor spaces with unmasked people just a foot or two from each other for a few hours is the worst possible situation for spread. Masked people in crowds outdoors is not nearly as bad, but is still not good.

But sometimes people respond in ways that are destructive, like the idiots that beat and even killed people over being asked to wear masks.

One of those events is the protests. You cant stop them. But you can hope that mask wearing and being outside minimizes spread. And for the most part, so far, that has seemed to be the case. But maybe not it in Houston.

But just like the crazies willing to kill over not wearing masks, sometimes you just have to back off even though it's not the best. That doesnt mean the medical recommendations are false or optional. It just means there is only so much you can do with a population that will not do what is best.

What you can do Sparko is stop feeding on and supporting the misinformation that is undermining the best outcome wrt the virus. If all the people inclined to think like you are will just stop giving place to anti-science misinformation and conspiracy theories, we just might yet be able to turn this thing around.
                      Can I throw this back in your face the next time you dredge up Trump in a thread about COVID-19, saying how it is all Trump's fault?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Can I throw this back in your face the next time you dredge up Trump in a thread about COVID-19, saying how it is all Trump's fault?
                        Dodge noted.

The propaganda this administration has fed you and so many on this website has now killed over 100,000 people that did not need to die.

How many more must die?

Will you only care when it is your parents or other older relatives that are dying alone in a hospital?

Will you only care when it is you?

Again, stop playing this like it is politics. It is a virus. And the only way to stop it is to do what will stop it from spreading. And the only way to know what that is is to listen to the science and the data.

Right now we need to keep our distance when we can and wear masks properly, diligently, when we can't
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Dodge noted.

The propaganda this administration has fed you and so many on this website has now killed over 100,000 people that did not need to die.

How many more must die?

Will you only care when it is your parents or other older relatives that are dying alone in a hospital?

Will you only care when it is you?

Again, stop playing this like it is politics. It is a virus. And the only way to stop it is to do what will stop it from spreading. And the only way to know what that is is to listen to the science and the data.

Right now we need to keep our distance when we can and wear masks properly, diligently, when we can't
                          As I'm sure all the protesters and rioters did, very diligently.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            As I'm sure all the protesters and rioters did, very diligently.
                            A large number of the protestors were , in fact, quite diligent with their mask wearing.

And even if they weren't that doesnt excuse anyone from being diligent to do what can be done to stop the spread of the virus. It doesn't excuse the protestors that didn't. And it doesn't excuse you or me.

This isn't a out politics. And someone else being irresponsible doesn't make it ok for anyone else to be irresponsible.

In NC, before the governor's mask order, mask wearing was sparse, weak at best. Once the order came out, the majority complied without complaint. Why is that? I believe it is because most people wanted to wear them but needed not to feel like fools for doing it.

Because most people care about their own safety, and actually even care a little about other people's safety too. They just need someone to shut the mouths of the loud mouthed idiots like we have here and in the white house.

Comment

A large number of the protestors were , in fact, quite diligent with their mask wearing.

And even if they weren't that doesnt excuse anyone from being diligent to do what can be done to stop the spread of the virus. It doesn't excuse the protestors that didn't. And it doesn't excuse you or me.

This isn't a out politics. And someone else being irresponsible doesn't make it ok for anyone else to be irresponsible.

In NC, before the governor's mask order, mask wearing was sparse, weak at best. Once the order came out, the majority complied without complaint. Why is that? I believe it is because most people wanted to wear them but needed not to feel like fools for doing it.

Because most people care about their own safety, and actually even care a little about other people's safety too. They just need someone to shut the mouths of the loud mouthed idiots like we have here and in the white house.
                              I've seen the fools wearing masks that don't help unless that person is sick and coughing and sneezing. It is almost funny how people hold to this modern science superstitious rite.

Comment

The propaganda this administration has fed you...

[...]

Again, stop playing this like it is politics...
                                Could you be any more blatantly hypocritical?

Comment