Thread: Texas governor recommends mask usage

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Texas governor recommends mask usage

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/06/22/...ep-texas-open/

Disturbed by the recent uptick of coronavirus cases and hospitalizations in Texas and calling the recent spread an “unacceptable rate,” Governor Greg Abbott urged Texans to follow CDC guidelines and wear a mask.

While not requiring it, he said Monday afternoon,”I know some people think wearing a mask is inconvenient or an infringement on freedom, but I also know it will keep Texas open.”

To the surprise of absolutely no one who was paying attention Texas is starting to explode. The barn door is already open and the horses are already everywhere but at least it's *something*.

Will those "on the right" turn on Abbott or will they suddenly discover that they never opposed mask usage to begin with? Let's find out.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/06/22/...ep-texas-open/

Disturbed by the recent uptick of coronavirus cases and hospitalizations in Texas and calling the recent spread an “unacceptable rate,” Governor Greg Abbott urged Texans to follow CDC guidelines and wear a mask.

While not requiring it, he said Monday afternoon,”I know some people think wearing a mask is inconvenient or an infringement on freedom, but I also know it will keep Texas open.”

To the surprise of absolutely no one who was paying attention Texas is starting to explode. The barn door is already open and the horses are already everywhere but at least it's *something*.
    We already have a Drama Queen - that position is not open.

Will those "on the right" turn on Abbott or will they suddenly discover that they never opposed mask usage to begin with? Let's find out.
    How bout a less binary, more honest, question?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Has it been proven that masks as used by the overwhelming majority of the public actually protect anyone from catching or spreading the China flu?

It just seems this is another case of the governement operating with the logic:

We must do something.
    X is something.
    Therefore, we must do X.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What are we going to do with 400 ventilators? We need 30,000 ventilators

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think masks would work if people used them right. However mask usage requires training. In some cases it might even cause people to engage in more risky behavior as they have a false sense of security. In Denmark we decided not to use masks, and that worked quite well.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    I think masks would work if people used them right. However mask usage requires training. In some cases it might even cause people to engage in more risky behavior as they have a false sense of security. In Denmark we decided not to use masks, and that worked quite well.
    True - and as I've stated, gloves are even worse. I've see people, especially food workers, wearing gloves, and touching all the same things they'd touch with their bare hands --- the food, the phone, the cash register buttons, their face, credit cards, cash, their hair.....
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    True - and as I've stated, gloves are even worse. I've see people, especially food workers, wearing gloves, and touching all the same things they'd touch with their bare hands --- the food, the phone, the cash register buttons, their face, credit cards, cash, their hair.....
    Exactly, or taking off the mask to talk, or cutting breathing holes in it.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Here is a link with a discussion of the reasons masks are recommended with professors from Stanford

http://med.stanford.edu/news/all-new...uidelines.html

Our understanding of the usefulness of masks is evolving, but it has become clear they do help, in some cases significantly. The conservative spin on it is driven as best I can tell by anti science rhetoric and a desire to support mr Trump's unwillingness to use them.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-22-2020 at 03:45 PM.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

9. Amen JimL amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Here is a link with a discussion of the reasons masks are recommended with professors from Stanford
    http://med.stanford.edu/news/all-new...uidelines.html

Our understanding of the usefulness of masks is evolving, but it has become clear they do help, in some cases significantly.

The study that is linked in this article only deals with the utility of various household items in preventing spread. I respect Chu's opinion, but I am not sure I agree with it. If people aren't wearing the masks correct they might be of very limited utility. They might not be useless, but they'd also not be nearly as useful as touted. Especially if people don't wear them correctly.

The conservative spin on it is driven as best I can tell by anti science rhetoric and a desire to support mr Trump's unwillingness to use them.
    I am not a conservative. We don't use the masks in Denmark for many well argued reasons by the Danish National Serum Institute. The masks are to be used by people in certain limited situations, and mostly by professionals who are trained in using them.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The funny thing about Newsome's statewide order to wear a mask in indoor public places -- I cannot find that order anywhere.

The glitch of that stanford.edu recommendation link is that there are no studies stated. So it is not very helpful ... except a few tips how to make the masks more useful, when needed.