Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas governor recommends mask usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So, this is now a Houston hospital?

And the link you provided is supposed to support your claim that they are "all full in the ICU and running short on PPE"?

Texas Children's Hospital admitting adult patients to free up hospital beds in Houston

First of all, Texas Children's Hospital is one of MANY hospitals in the Harris County area.

And the article actually says....

Texas Children’s Hospital said it is providing additional capacity through ICU and acute care beds across its campuses to both pediatric and adult patients.

HOUSTON — Texas Children’s Hospital confirmed it is admitting adult patients to free up hospital beds across Houston as cases surge.

In a statement sent to KHOU 11, Texas Children’s Hospital said it is providing additional capacity through ICU and acute care beds across its campuses to both pediatric and adult patients

Adult patients who have COVID-19 will be cared for in an expanded Special Isolation Unit at Texas Children's Hospital West Campus. The hospital is also admitting adults who don't have COVID-19.

“Texas Children's Hospital, our employees, medical staff and leadership team continue to carefully monitor the ongoing active transmission and increasing number of COVID-19 cases in the greater Houston area and across the State. We are committed to doing our part to assist the city as the number of COVID-19 cases continues to rise,” the statement read.

I'm not seeing the part about the "all full in the ICU" OR the "running short on PPE".

The news here is that a CHILDREN'S hospital is gearing up to accept more ADULTS ---- nothing about what you said.
    The Bible says we will reap what we have sown CP. In the era of the pandemic, that means if you ignore the reality of what it takes to contain this virus, then you will reap sickness and death. Texas, you, your congregation, if you actually act on the sarcasm and mockery of what it takes to curtail this virus that you display on these pages will reap from it sickness and death.

That is my warning to you, and all of you on this site that continue to mock what the doctors and scientists that know the pathology of this disease are telling us.

Again, the virus could care less what you want to be true. It doesnt obey wishes, or politics, or spin. It obeys the natural laws that govern its existance.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      and your 'spin' is wrong. It's that simple.
      Really, so the medical professionals saying that people who constantly fiddle with their mask, who repeatedly pull it away from their face to talk, who don't cover their nose, who keep it draped under their chin when not in use, who reuse the same mask throughout day or over multiple days, etc. are not doing themselves any good and may even be putting their health at greater risk -- the medical professionals saying this are wrong?

Well, I guess you know better.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
        I might have misrememebred and it was Houston, not Dallas.

Texas Children's Hospital admitting adult patients to free up hospital beds in Houston
        Texas Children’s Hospital said it is providing additional capacity through ICU and acute care beds across its campuses to both pediatric and adult patients.

And apologies to CP and anyone else who has the slightest clue about Texas geography. I've spent a total of around 4-5 weeks of my life essentially in downtown Austin (for business) so that's basically all I know. I asked about riding a mechanical bull and the gentleman I asked didn't seem amused and said I'd probably have to go somewhere else to find one :D.
        Austin doesn't belong in Texas. Sometimes I want to scoop it out and fling it into California where it belongs.
        Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

That is my warning to you, and all of you on this site that continue to mock what the doctors and scientists that know the pathology of this disease are telling us.
          Right, and which experts should we listen to: only the ones who support your narrative, or the ones who have a contrary opinion?

This is the problem when people act like science is a source of absolute truth, because science, by design, is a moving target.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Really, so the medical professionals saying that people who constantly fiddle with their mask, who repeatedly pull it away from their face to talk, who don't cover their nose, who keep it draped under their chin when not in use, who reuse the same mask throughout day or over multiple days, etc. are not doing themselves any good and may even be putting their health at greater risk -- the medical professionals saying this are wrong?

Well, I guess you know better.
            Yes I do know better that what you are gleaning, because I'm not forming my opinions based on known anti-science sources, I'm reading the actual papers and listening to the top experts in the field directly.

In your case its Forest and Trees MM. Yes, those things make masks less effective for individuals, but not completely ineffective, understanding that the primary effect* is to reduce outgoing pathogens, which even wearing under the nose will do as long as they are not sneezing or do not have a runny nose since in that case the primary droplet producer is the mouth, but the overall effect of a population wearing masks is to inhibit spread of disease, in spite of the fact it is not a perfect solution. Over and over we see that countries/places that have large populations complying with mask wearing, spread of the disease is significantly reduced.

And since you know exactly what you should do in terms of how you should wear them, and the primary effect is to keep YOU from spreading disease, YOU have no excuse.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Yes I do know better...
              Yeah, I doubt that.

If you don't mind, I'm going to trust the people who actually know what they're talking about and not some moron on tWeb who has proven himself to be impervious to any facts that don't fit his agenda.

Comment

Yeah, I doubt that.

If you don't mind, I'm going to trust the people who actually know what they're talking about and not some moron on tWeb who has proven himself to be impervious to any facts that don't fit his agenda.
                Like you trusted the 'people that know better' wrt Trumps inauguration crowd size?

I posted a link with a discussion of the issue with Ph.D's from Stanford. I did that to try to be helpful, but I did - unfortunately - anticipate push back from the anti-science elements here such as yourself.

Guidance from Johns Hopkins:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...u-need-to-know

Source: above

New information is emerging every day on how the new coronavirus spreads and the best ways to protect against COVID-19. The most effective protections include washing your hands frequently with soap and water and practicing social and physical distancing. However, wearing cloth face masks or coverings in public when social distancing can’t be observed does offer protection against spread of COVID-19.

Lisa Maragakis, M.D., M.P.H., an expert in infection prevention, provides guidance based on Johns Hopkins Medicine policy.

Should I wear a face mask or covering for coronavirus protection?

Yes, if you are in a public place where you will encounter other people, you should wear a mask.

© Copyright Original Source

the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ace-cover.html

Source: above

CDC continues to study the spread and effects of the novel coronavirus across the United States. We now know from recent studies that a significant portion of individuals with coronavirus lack symptoms (“asymptomatic”) and that even those who eventually develop symptoms (“pre-symptomatic”) can transmit the virus to others before showing symptoms. This means that the virus can spread between people interacting in close proximity—for example, speaking, coughing, or sneezing—even if those people are not exhibiting symptoms. In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

© Copyright Original Source

They are all saying this is the best guidance. Just who do you suppose 'knows better'? Dr. Phil? Breitbart?

Frankly, whoever your 'sources' are, I'll stick with Stanford, Johns Hopkins and the CDC.
                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-23-2020, 09:40 AM.

Comment

You're missing the point as usual. Yes, face masks when used correctly can possibly offer limited protection (the experts have waffled on this). However, face masks as used by the overwhelming majority of the public offer effectively no protection. Same thing with wearing gloves.

In my case, correct face mask use would require me to shave off my glorious beard to create a proper seal, and sorry, but that ain't happening.

Meanwhile, I just laugh at the people who pull down their masks to talk on their phones, or who touch their face with gloved hands.

Comment

The Bible says we will reap what we have sown CP....
                    Jim, seriously, I'm not interested in ANYTHING you have to say.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                      Austin doesn't belong in Texas. Sometimes I want to scoop it out and fling it into California where it belongs.
                      Amen. What's funny is when people "encounter Texas" by first being in Austin, then experience REAL Texas --- it's like culture shock.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What?! You're not swayed by his self righteous chest thumping? How dare you!

Comment

What?! You're not swayed by his self righteous chest thumping? How dare you!
                          I'm swayed by concern for our people, which is why I (we) am/are doing some serious study on what's going on around our county, and preparing to respond accordingly.

We have had some cases of teens and children - not really in our vicinity, but "close enough" - that we are doing research and "running the traps".

Comment

Right, and which experts should we listen to: only the ones who support your narrative, or the ones who have a contrary opinion?

This is the problem when people act like science is a source of absolute truth, because science, by design, is a moving target.
                            I think you would do better looking at reality rather than pretending that there is no reality apart from narratives. You can go for the "We have got it all under control" narrative. Reality is people have died and continue to die as a direct result. It is not a narrative. It is, unfortunately, the truth. Pretend as much as you like.
                            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                              I think you would do better looking at reality rather than pretending that there is no reality apart from narratives. You can go for the "We have got it all under control" narrative. Reality is people have died and continue to die as a direct result. It is not a narrative. It is, unfortunately, the truth. Pretend as much as you like.
                              It can be both, Charles. There can be reality AND narratives both from the left and the right.

Comment

Your loss. But ignoring the realities of this virus, of the one thing we can do outside social distancing (mask wearing) is not just your loss, it's everyone's loss.

Comment