Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas governor recommends mask usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mask mandates are the first step. Then it's legally required vaccinations. What comes after that?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Here is sort of the debate by those wanting to force people to wear masks. Thank God that Senum is defending our freedom and responsibility to truth.

This is an excerpt from theunion.com. You can see how the other council member is simply assuming that the governor's position is safe for people.

Source: https://www.theunion.com/news/nevada-city-mayor-fuels-controversy-over-governors-mask-order/

DISSENT OVER PUBLIC DUTY

Senum insists her Facebook post was not made to present the position of Nevada City or the City Council. But she also firmly believes her stance is mandated by her oath of office.

“I am abiding by the oath of office I took, first and foremost,” Senum said. “My social media posts are secondary to this.”

Even though she is an elected official, Senum said, she has the right to express her personal beliefs — and she believes mandating the wearing of masks is illegal.

And, she suggested, she would not be forced to post on social media if the press was doing its job.

“The public is being misled,” Senum said. “What other options do you have? Where else are we to go? If we don’t have press doing their job, and we don’t have elected officials doing their job, to uphold the Constitution? That’s what I’m doing.”

Other elected officials, however, disagree on using social media to promulgate personal beliefs.

“As public officials, we are charged with keeping our community safe,” said Grass Valley City Council member Hilary Hodge, calling Senum’s post out as “tone-deaf” and dangerous for the community.

“In the current global pandemic, it is important that we disseminate the most accurate, scientific, expert information available,” Hodge said. “Nevada County is the oldest county in California by average age. Our local hospital manages just 20 ICU beds. Misinformation about public safety that might result in a spike in COVID-19 cases could have dire consequences for our community.”

Hodge said she would not typically take another elected official to task, but felt it was needed in this case.

“It’s tough,” she said. “She is beloved in this community, she has volunteered for so many causes, she has worked so hard to beautify Nevada City for 20 years. … This could just have terrible consequences for our community. When it comes to health and safety, we have an obligation to the community to ensure we give out the most accurate and scientific information we can. I would hate for people to see her post and think, well, she’s the mayor, so it must be true.

“We have a bigger responsibility to the public to make sure we are doing the right thing.”

Although they have different perspectives on how to achieve it, the end goal is the same — the community’s economic survival.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by mikewhitney; 07-03-2020, 03:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Mask mandates are the first step. Then it's legally required vaccinations. What comes after that?
        People stop dying from COVID-19.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
          Right, we'll find a cure for death.

Countless people die from all manner of infectious diseases every year. Should we enforce quarantines, mask usage, social distancing, and mandatory vaccinations for the rest of our lives to stop people from dying from those illnesses as well? After all, if it has the potential to save even one life...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Child View Post

Countless people die from all manner of infectious diseases every year. Should we enforce quarantines, mask usage, social distancing, and mandatory vaccinations for the rest of our lives to stop people from dying from those illnesses as well? After all, if it has the potential to save even one life...
            Not countless, around 55,000 people die per year from Influenza and Pneumonia. If Covid-19 kills on a US wide average the same proportion of people that have already died in New York to the virus, you'll end at around 550,000 deaths. Close to the number that died from the Spanish Flu, although that was over a three year period and around a third of the US population of today.

This is with a significant lock-down in NY that is still partially in place.

But go on, keep talking it down.
            Last edited by Zara; 07-03-2020, 06:58 AM.

Comment

No, just a cure for COVID-19.

I'm being called ignorant by a blithering idiot who can't tell the difference between one specific disease, versus death in general.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
                No, just a cure for COVID-19.
                So if we can "cure" something as supposedly deadly as the China flu with draconian government intervention, what about all the other infectious diseases that kill people every year? Should we continue masking and social distancing?

"If it can save even one life..."

Where does it end?

Comment

Mask mandates are the first step. Then it's legally required vaccinations. What comes after that?
                  To me, it's more of a "second mile" thing, or maybe even a "weaker brother" concept ---- I have a lot of older people, some of whom are very susceptible to the virus, and I love them.

I'll play the game around them, because it puts them at ease. It's hard, because I'm a rebel at heart.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                    Here is sort of the debate by those wanting to force people to wear masks. Thank God that Senum is defending our freedom and responsibility to truth.

This is an excerpt from theunion.com. ...
                    I was reading too quickly, and I thought this was from The Onion!
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zara View Post
                      ....If Covid-19 kills on a US wide average the same proportion of people that have already died in New York to the virus.....
                      Woah, hold on ---- there's a MAJOR difference (a number of them) between New York and the rest of the US. And much of their mortality was the idiot Democrat Mayor stuffing people into nursing homes.

NY Gov. Cuomo reportedly ordered over 4,300 recovering COVID-19 patients to be sent to nursing homes

Comment

Really, so the medical professionals saying that people who constantly fiddle with their mask, who repeatedly pull it away from their face to talk, who don't cover their nose, who keep it draped under their chin when not in use, who reuse the same mask throughout day or over multiple days, etc. are not doing themselves any good and may even be putting their health at greater risk -- the medical professionals saying this are wrong?

Well, I guess you know better.
                        That's some logic: some people don't do something properly, so let's all give up doing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
                          That's some logic: some people don't do something properly, so let's all give up doing it.
                          That's not the argument. Thanks for playing.

Comment

I've seen the fools wearing masks that don't help unless that person is sick and coughing and sneezing....
                            Actually, some of them were wearing masks to make it harder for the police to identify them when they burned, looted and pilfered.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Actually, some of them were wearing masks to make it harder for the police to identify them when they burned, looted and pilfered.
                              and they don't want the police to catch coronavirus

Comment

and they don't want the police to catch coronavirus
                                Thoughtful and caring.

Comment