Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas governor recommends mask usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas governor recommends mask usage

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/06/22/...ep-texas-open/

Disturbed by the recent uptick of coronavirus cases and hospitalizations in Texas and calling the recent spread an “unacceptable rate,” Governor Greg Abbott urged Texans to follow CDC guidelines and wear a mask.

While not requiring it, he said Monday afternoon,”I know some people think wearing a mask is inconvenient or an infringement on freedom, but I also know it will keep Texas open.”

To the surprise of absolutely no one who was paying attention Texas is starting to explode. The barn door is already open and the horses are already everywhere but at least it's *something*.

Will those "on the right" turn on Abbott or will they suddenly discover that they never opposed mask usage to begin with? Let's find out.

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post

Disturbed by the recent uptick of coronavirus cases and hospitalizations in Texas and calling the recent spread an “unacceptable rate,” Governor Greg Abbott urged Texans to follow CDC guidelines and wear a mask.

While not requiring it, he said Monday afternoon,”I know some people think wearing a mask is inconvenient or an infringement on freedom, but I also know it will keep Texas open.”

To the surprise of absolutely no one who was paying attention Texas is starting to explode. The barn door is already open and the horses are already everywhere but at least it's *something*.
    We already have a Drama Queen - that position is not open.

Will those "on the right" turn on Abbott or will they suddenly discover that they never opposed mask usage to begin with? Let's find out.
    How bout a less binary, more honest, question?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Has it been proven that masks as used by the overwhelming majority of the public actually protect anyone from catching or spreading the China flu?

It just seems this is another case of the governement operating with the logic:

We must do something.
      X is something.
      Therefore, we must do X.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

What are we going to do with 400 ventilators? We need 30,000 ventilators

Comment

I think masks would work if people used them right. However mask usage requires training. In some cases it might even cause people to engage in more risky behavior as they have a false sense of security. In Denmark we decided not to use masks, and that worked quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            I think masks would work if people used them right. However mask usage requires training. In some cases it might even cause people to engage in more risky behavior as they have a false sense of security. In Denmark we decided not to use masks, and that worked quite well.
            True - and as I've stated, gloves are even worse. I've see people, especially food workers, wearing gloves, and touching all the same things they'd touch with their bare hands --- the food, the phone, the cash register buttons, their face, credit cards, cash, their hair.....
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              True - and as I've stated, gloves are even worse. I've see people, especially food workers, wearing gloves, and touching all the same things they'd touch with their bare hands --- the food, the phone, the cash register buttons, their face, credit cards, cash, their hair.....
              Exactly, or taking off the mask to talk, or cutting breathing holes in it.

Comment

Here is a link with a discussion of the reasons masks are recommended with professors from Stanford

http://med.stanford.edu/news/all-new...uidelines.html

Our understanding of the usefulness of masks is evolving, but it has become clear they do help, in some cases significantly. The conservative spin on it is driven as best I can tell by anti science rhetoric and a desire to support mr Trump's unwillingness to use them.
                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-22-2020, 05:45 PM.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  Here is a link with a discussion of the reasons masks are recommended with professors from Stanford
                  http://med.stanford.edu/news/all-new...uidelines.html

Our understanding of the usefulness of masks is evolving, but it has become clear they do help, in some cases significantly.

The study that is linked in this article only deals with the utility of various household items in preventing spread. I respect Chu's opinion, but I am not sure I agree with it. If people aren't wearing the masks correct they might be of very limited utility. They might not be useless, but they'd also not be nearly as useful as touted. Especially if people don't wear them correctly.

The conservative spin on it is driven as best I can tell by anti science rhetoric and a desire to support mr Trump's unwillingness to use them.
                  I am not a conservative. We don't use the masks in Denmark for many well argued reasons by the Danish National Serum Institute. The masks are to be used by people in certain limited situations, and mostly by professionals who are trained in using them.

Comment

The funny thing about Newsome's statewide order to wear a mask in indoor public places -- I cannot find that order anywhere.

The glitch of that stanford.edu recommendation link is that there are no studies stated. So it is not very helpful ... except a few tips how to make the masks more useful, when needed.

Comment

I noticed that with one place I go to for lunch. They go from sweeping the floor to bagging the sandwiches -- with the same gloves. I'm not much concerned with that -- but it is funny to see.

Comment

I am not a conservative. We don't use the masks in Denmark for many well argued reasons by the Danish National Serum Institute. The masks are to be used by people in certain limited situations, and mostly by professionals who are trained in using them.
                        Yes, the problem, well documented, is that the "experts" on this have been inconsistent on the use of masks.

Comment

Now, let's deal with the very SELECTIVE reporting on this.... from that same article....

Gov. Abbott was asked during the news conference, why he doesn’t require everyone to wear masks in public.

He explained as he has before, there needs to be different rules throughout the vast geography of the state.

He said what may be needed in the city of Austin not the same as Austin County.

He said flexibility is necessary among 254 counties.

However, he didn’t rule out another state shutdown if things get a lot worse.

Abbot said if the state were to “experience another doubling of those numbers over the next month, that would mean we are in an urgent situation” where tougher measures would be required.

Texas is a big state where one size does NOT fit all.

Comment

Now, let's deal with the very SELECTIVE reporting on this.... from that same article....

Gov. Abbott was asked during the news conference, why he doesn’t require everyone to wear masks in public.

He explained as he has before, there needs to be different rules throughout the vast geography of the state.

He said what may be needed in the city of Austin not the same as Austin County.

He said flexibility is necessary among 254 counties.

However, he didn’t rule out another state shutdown if things get a lot worse.

Abbot said if the state were to “experience another doubling of those numbers over the next month, that would mean we are in an urgent situation” where tougher measures would be required.

Texas is a big state where one size does NOT fit all.
                            My point in creating this thread was to combat the claim I've seen on here that masks do nothing or even make things worse. Abbott clearly doesn't feel that way any longer. Thanks for joining the rest of the post-SARS world.

Comment

My point in creating this thread was to combat the claim I've seen on here that masks do nothing or even make things worse.
                              I've never said masks do nothing or even make things worse.

Abbott clearly doesn't feel that way any longer.
                              When did he say masks do nothing or even make things worse?

Comment