Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas governor recommends mask usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Here is a link with a discussion of the reasons masks are recommended with professors from Stanford

http://med.stanford.edu/news/all-new...uidelines.html

Our understanding of the usefulness of masks is evolving, but it has become clear they do help, in some cases significantly. The conservative spin on it is driven as best I can tell by anti science rhetoric and a desire to support mr Trump's unwillingness to use them.
    My "spin" is based on the fact that I have read opinion pieces by medical professionals on how masks should be used, and the fact that the overwhelming number of people I've seen in public are not following those guidelines, meaning that at best, the masks are not doing them a bit of good, and at worst are putting their health at greater risk.

It's also a fact that you probably have a better chance of winning the lottery than contracting the China flu simply by passing by someone in a grocery store.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 06-22-2020, 07:13 PM.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      It's also a fact that you probably have a better chance of winning the lottery than contracting the China flu simply by passing by someone in a grocery store.
      You mean, where they make everybody go the same way in the aisles so you're walking behind somebody's exhaled air, instead of facing them where you can choose to turn around and go the other way?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
        My point in creating this thread was to combat the claim I've seen on here that masks do nothing or even make things worse. Abbott clearly doesn't feel that way any longer. Thanks for joining the rest of the post-SARS world.
        but the natural social distancing in Texas is not six feet but rather is six miles.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
          but the natural social distancing in Texas is not six feet but rather is six miles.

COVID-19 Hospitalizations Set Records 9 Days Straight as Texas Surpasses 107K Cases

You can take a look at the ugly graph here. I also just saw a tweet regarding a Dallas hospital which is all full in the ICU and running short on PPE.

Comment

We are required to wear masks at work, but a lot of people are wearing them over their mouth only. I agree that masks would work if people wore them properly, but the vast majority of people don't know how or don't care.
            Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

COVID-19 Hospitalizations Set Records 9 Days Straight as Texas Surpasses 107K Cases

You can take a look at the ugly graph here. I also just saw a tweet regarding a Dallas hospital which is all full in the ICU and running short on PPE.
              Thanks DOb. I was glad to see the statistcs at that link. It was a bit hard to follow but still was interesting since the article mixed overall Texas numbers with discussion of Dallas County numbers. It was unexpected to see so many more ventilators than ICU beds. This might be just because many ICU beds had patients who did not require ventilators.

Except for the hospital with no more ICU beds, there appears to be 244 ICU beds available in Dallas hospitals. I'm not sure what percent of the occupied beds are COVID-19. (It's too bad the details were not more specific.)

The COVID-19 deaths in Dallas County were listed at 317 which appears to be quite low for a population of 2.5 million. It sounds like the numbers are generally manageable there without changing the requirements on the people. I'm not for people getting sick and dying but the statistic still stands that, among all the people, 9 out of every 9 people will die at some point in time. So far the deaths in Dallas County attributed to COVID-19 (listed as 317) are below the flu deaths per year. This is based on:

yearly flu deaths: 0.03% * 2.5Million people= 750 people. This usually is in a six month season which gives 375 in 90 days. The COVID-19 has mostly been confined to 90 days in the US.

Also, the number of available ICU beds (242) would allow for 6100 hospitalized cases in Dallas County where 4% needed ICU. (The 4% number is borrowed from a study in France.) However, the number of deaths in Dallas County suggest that the cases going to ICU will not be as many or as deadly.

The basic recommendation is that older or sicker people who wish protection from the virus ... they should take the precautions they desire.

Other people can go on living a pretty normal life but maybe taking precaution in some situations. This is far lower than an epidemic level, as pertaining to severe illness rather than just positive COVID-19 tests. The numbers just don't work.
              Last edited by mikewhitney; 06-22-2020, 11:12 PM.

Comment

9 out of every 9 people will die.
                That's all of them. If you're past the allotted edit window when you see this, let me know what it should say and I'll edit it and delete my post.
                Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Thanks DOb. I was glad to see the statistcs at that link. It was a bit hard to follow but still was interesting since the article mixed overall Texas numbers with discussion of Dallas County numbers. It was unexpected to see so many more ventilators than ICU beds. This might be just because many ICU beds had patients who did not require ventilators.

Except for the hospital with no more ICU beds, there appears to be 244 ICU beds available in Dallas hospitals. I'm not sure what percent of the occupied beds are COVID-19. (It's too bad the details were not more specific.)

The COVID-19 deaths in Dallas County were listed at 317 which appears to be quite low for a population of 2.5 million. It sounds like the numbers are generally manageable there without changing the requirements on the people. I'm not for people getting sick and dying but the statistic still stands that 9 out of every 9 people will die. So far the deaths in Dallas County attributed to COVID-19 (listed as 317) are below the flu deaths per year. This is based on:

yearly flu deaths: 0.03% * 2.5Million people= 750 people. This usually is in a six month season which gives 375 in 90 days. The COVID-19 has mostly been confined to 90 days in the US.

Also, the number of available ICU beds (242) would allow for 6100 hospitalized cases in Dallas County where 4% needed ICU. (The 4% number is borrowed from a study in France.) However, the number of deaths in Dallas County suggest that the cases going to ICU will not be as many or as deadly.

The basic recommendation is that older or sicker people who wish protection from the virus ... they should take the precautions they desire.

Other people can go on living a pretty normal life but maybe taking precaution in some situations. This is far an epidemic level. The numbers just don't work.
                  Plus the fact that there are 253 other Counties in Texas besides Dallas County.
                  There are over 30 incorporated cities in Dallas County, many of them comprised of very densely populated areas, and is the State's second most populous County.
                  Dallas County also has mass transit, which seems to be a factor in the spread of COVID.

ETA: Something looks fishy about the hospital beds and ICU figures --- I'm wondering if they're confusing the City of Dallas with the County of Dallas.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I might have misrememebred and it was Houston, not Dallas.

Texas Children's Hospital admitting adult patients to free up hospital beds in Houston
                    Texas Children’s Hospital said it is providing additional capacity through ICU and acute care beds across its campuses to both pediatric and adult patients.

And apologies to CP and anyone else who has the slightest clue about Texas geography. I've spent a total of around 4-5 weeks of my life essentially in downtown Austin (for business) so that's basically all I know. I asked about riding a mechanical bull and the gentleman I asked didn't seem amused and said I'd probably have to go somewhere else to find one :D.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Plus the fact that there are 253 other Counties in Texas besides Dallas County.

ETA: Something looks fishy about the hospital beds and ICU figures --- I'm wondering if they're confusing the City of Dallas with the County of Dallas.
                      Thanks for the info on the number of counties. The figures were changing between those for the state, the county and the city. I tried to stay consistent but the numbers would probably be less severe if I had standardized to the county level.

Comment

Texas Children's Hospital admitting adult patients to free up hospital beds in Houston
                        Texas Children’s Hospital said it is providing additional capacity through ICU and acute care beds across its campuses to both pediatric and adult patients.

And apologies to CP and anyone else who has the slightest clue about Texas geography. I've spent a total of around 4-5 weeks of my life essentially in downtown Austin (for business) so that's basically all I know. I asked about riding a mechanical bull and the gentleman I asked didn't seem amused and said I'd probably have to go somewhere else to find one :D.
                        Thanks for the clarification and the mention of the mechanical bull.

Comment

OK -- Houston / Harris County -- is a WHOLE 'NUTHER nut, as it holds the distinction of being the MOST DIVERSE PLACE IN AMERICA, with virtually every nation on the planet represented to some degree.
                          And YUGE concentrations of "people groups" who would be... um... 'resistant'... to compliance with... um... "protocols".

And apologies to CP and anyone else who has the slightest clue about Texas geography.

I've spent a total of around 4-5 weeks of my life essentially in downtown Austin (for business) so that's basically all I know. I asked about riding a mechanical bull and the gentleman I asked didn't seem amused and said I'd probably have to go somewhere else to find one :D.
                          NO WONDER you know nothing about Texas! (gentle prodding there) Austin is "the blueberry in a sea of tomato soup". Austin is purposely WEIRD, and nobody in Texas would think Austin represents Texas.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification and the mention of the mechanical bull.
                            Yeah, that wouldn't be an Austin thing --- ask, instead, for a unique bong or something.

Comment

....I also just saw a tweet regarding a Dallas hospital which is all full in the ICU and running short on PPE.
                              So, this is now a Houston hospital?

And the link you provided is supposed to support your claim that they are "all full in the ICU and running short on PPE"?

First of all, Texas Children's Hospital is one of MANY hospitals in the Harris County area.

And the article actually says....

HOUSTON — Texas Children’s Hospital confirmed it is admitting adult patients to free up hospital beds across Houston as cases surge.

In a statement sent to KHOU 11, Texas Children’s Hospital said it is providing additional capacity through ICU and acute care beds across its campuses to both pediatric and adult patients

Adult patients who have COVID-19 will be cared for in an expanded Special Isolation Unit at Texas Children's Hospital West Campus. The hospital is also admitting adults who don't have COVID-19.

“Texas Children's Hospital, our employees, medical staff and leadership team continue to carefully monitor the ongoing active transmission and increasing number of COVID-19 cases in the greater Houston area and across the State. We are committed to doing our part to assist the city as the number of COVID-19 cases continues to rise,” the statement read.

I'm not seeing the part about the "all full in the ICU" OR the "running short on PPE".

The news here is that a CHILDREN'S hospital is gearing up to accept more ADULTS ---- nothing about what you said.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                My "spin" is based on the fact that I have read opinion pieces by medical professionals on how masks should be used, and the fact that the overwhelming number of people I've seen in public are not following those guidelines, meaning that at best, the masks are not doing them a bit of good, and at worst are putting their health at greater risk.

and your 'spin' is wrong. It's that simple. You can ignore what science can teach us about this virus and the things we can do to protect ourselves, but you cant ignore the virus itself.

The virus does what the virus does. And you either respect that or you become its victim in one way or another.

A wise man doesnt delight in his own understanding. A wise man, today, will heed what those with the medical and scientific training to sift out fact from fiction and that are studying this pandemic are recommending.
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment