Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas governor recommends mask usage

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    True - and as I've stated, gloves are even worse. I've see people, especially food workers, wearing gloves, and touching all the same things they'd touch with their bare hands --- the food, the phone, the cash register buttons, their face, credit cards, cash, their hair.....
    I noticed that with one place I go to for lunch. They go from sweeping the floor to bagging the sandwiches -- with the same gloves. I'm not much concerned with that -- but it is funny to see.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    I am not a conservative. We don't use the masks in Denmark for many well argued reasons by the Danish National Serum Institute. The masks are to be used by people in certain limited situations, and mostly by professionals who are trained in using them.
    Yes, the problem, well documented, is that the "experts" on this have been inconsistent on the use of masks.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/06/22/...ep-texas-open/

Disturbed by the recent uptick of coronavirus cases and hospitalizations in Texas and calling the recent spread an “unacceptable rate,” Governor Greg Abbott urged Texans to follow CDC guidelines and wear a mask.

While not requiring it, he said Monday afternoon,”I know some people think wearing a mask is inconvenient or an infringement on freedom, but I also know it will keep Texas open.”

To the surprise of absolutely no one who was paying attention Texas is starting to explode. The barn door is already open and the horses are already everywhere but at least it's *something*.

Will those "on the right" turn on Abbott or will they suddenly discover that they never opposed mask usage to begin with? Let's find out.
    Now, let's deal with the very SELECTIVE reporting on this.... from that same article....

Gov. Abbott was asked during the news conference, why he doesn’t require everyone to wear masks in public.

He explained as he has before, there needs to be different rules throughout the vast geography of the state.

He said what may be needed in the city of Austin not the same as Austin County.

He said flexibility is necessary among 254 counties.

However, he didn’t rule out another state shutdown if things get a lot worse.

Abbot said if the state were to “experience another doubling of those numbers over the next month, that would mean we are in an urgent situation” where tougher measures would be required.

Texas is a big state where one size does NOT fit all.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Now, let's deal with the very SELECTIVE reporting on this.... from that same article....

Gov. Abbott was asked during the news conference, why he doesn’t require everyone to wear masks in public.

He explained as he has before, there needs to be different rules throughout the vast geography of the state.

He said what may be needed in the city of Austin not the same as Austin County.

He said flexibility is necessary among 254 counties.

However, he didn’t rule out another state shutdown if things get a lot worse.

Abbot said if the state were to “experience another doubling of those numbers over the next month, that would mean we are in an urgent situation” where tougher measures would be required.

Texas is a big state where one size does NOT fit all.
    My point in creating this thread was to combat the claim I've seen on here that masks do nothing or even make things worse. Abbott clearly doesn't feel that way any longer. Thanks for joining the rest of the post-SARS world.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My point in creating this thread was to combat the claim I've seen on here that masks do nothing or even make things worse.
    I've never said masks do nothing or even make things worse.

Abbott clearly doesn't feel that way any longer.
    When did he say masks do nothing or even make things worse?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Here is a link with a discussion of the reasons masks are recommended with professors from Stanford

http://med.stanford.edu/news/all-new...uidelines.html

Our understanding of the usefulness of masks is evolving, but it has become clear they do help, in some cases significantly. The conservative spin on it is driven as best I can tell by anti science rhetoric and a desire to support mr Trump's unwillingness to use them.
    My "spin" is based on the fact that I have read opinion pieces by medical professionals on how masks should be used, and the fact that the overwhelming number of people I've seen in public are not following those guidelines, meaning that at best, the masks are not doing them a bit of good, and at worst are putting their health at greater risk.

It's also a fact that you probably have a better chance of winning the lottery than contracting the China flu simply by passing by someone in a grocery store.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 06-22-2020 at 05:13 PM.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    It's also a fact that you probably have a better chance of winning the lottery than contracting the China flu simply by passing by someone in a grocery store.
    You mean, where they make everybody go the same way in the aisles so you're walking behind somebody's exhaled air, instead of facing them where you can choose to turn around and go the other way?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My point in creating this thread was to combat the claim I've seen on here that masks do nothing or even make things worse. Abbott clearly doesn't feel that way any longer. Thanks for joining the rest of the post-SARS world.
    but the natural social distancing in Texas is not six feet but rather is six miles.

9. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    but the natural social distancing in Texas is not six feet but rather is six miles.

COVID-19 Hospitalizations Set Records 9 Days Straight as Texas Surpasses 107K Cases

You can take a look at the ugly graph here. I also just saw a tweet regarding a Dallas hospital which is all full in the ICU and running short on PPE.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    We are required to wear masks at work, but a lot of people are wearing them over their mouth only. I agree that masks would work if people wore them properly, but the vast majority of people don't know how or don't care.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.