Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Muhammad Ali’s son says dad would have hated ‘racist’ Black Lives Matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muhammad Ali’s son says dad would have hated ‘racist’ Black Lives Matter

WARNING - veiled profanity, but direct quotes....

On the fourth anniversary of his death, Muhammad Ali’s only biological son says that his father would be against Black Lives Matter, calling the movement “racist” and the protesters “devils.”

The legendary boxer and activist stood up against racism throughout his life, but Muhammad Ali Jr. says his dad would have been sickened by how the protests have turned to violence and looting after the death of George Floyd.

“Don’t bust up s–t, don’t trash the place,” he told The Post. “You can peacefully protest.

‘‘My father would have said, ‘They ain’t nothing but devils.’ My father said, ‘All lives matter.’ I don’t think he’d agree.”

Of the BLM movement, Ali Jr., a Muslim like his father, said: “I think it’s racist.”

“It’s not just black lives matter, white lives matter, Chinese lives matter, all lives matter, everybody’s life matters. God loves everyone — he never singled anyone out. Killing is wrong no matter who it is,” Ali said during an hour-long interview with The Post.

On police brutality, Ali defended law enforcement in general.

“Police don’t wake up and think, ‘I’m going to kill a n—-r today or kill a white man,'” he said. “They’re just trying to make it back home to their family in one piece.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    The legendary boxer and activist stood up against racism throughout his life, but Muhammad Ali Jr. says his dad would have been sickened by how the protests have turned to violence and looting after the death of George Floyd.

“Don’t bust up s–t, don’t trash the place,” he told The Post. “You can peacefully protest.

‘‘My father would have said, ‘They ain’t nothing but devils.’ My father said, ‘All lives matter.’ I don’t think he’d agree.”

Of the BLM movement, Ali Jr., a Muslim like his father, said: “I think it’s racist.”
    Duh. Of course it's racist. It's about black people, their lives, and they way they deserve to keep em.

I don't agree that Ali would have disliked BLM, especially because he would have been smart enough to recognize the difference between the protests and the violence.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
      Duh. Of course it's racist. It's about black people, their lives, and they way they deserve to keep em.

I don't agree that Ali would have disliked BLM.
      You're calling his son a liar? You believe you know better than his own son what Ali would like?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And more....

“I think Trump’s a good president. My father would have supported him. Trump’s not a racist, he’s for all the people. Democrats are the ones who are racist and not for everybody.

“These [Democrat politicians] saying Black Lives Matter, who the hell are you to say that? You’re not even black.

“Democrats don’t give a s–t about anybody. Hillary Clinton doesn’t give a s–t; she’s trying not to get locked up.

“Trump is much better than Clinton and Obama. … The only one to do what he said he would do is Donald Trump.”

Comment

You're calling his son a liar?
          Shut up. You can disagree with what someone said without calling them a liar.

You believe you know better than his own son what Ali would like?
          Nope, and I never claimed that. You've had a bee in your bonnet the last few days, and while it's perfectly fine to disagree with me or question what I say, get some wasp spray and take care of the problem.

I think his son is misinterpreting both his father's position on racism, as well as the nature of the BLM protests.

Comment

Shut up.
            Make me.

You can disagree with what someone said without calling them a liar.
            Either he's telling the truth, or he's not. I have no reason to doubt he's telling the truth, and every reason in the world to believe you really have no way of knowing what Ali would think.

Nope, and I never claimed that. You've had a bee in your bonnet the last few days,

A "bee in my bonnet"?

and while it's perfectly fine to disagree with me or question what I say, get some wasp spray and take care of the problem.

I think his son is misinterpreting both his father's position on racism, as well as the nature of the BLM protests.
            How very precious.

Comment

And more....

“I think Trump’s a good president. My father would have supported him. Trump’s not a racist, he’s for all the people. Democrats are the ones who are racist and not for everybody.

“These [Democrat politicians] saying Black Lives Matter, who the hell are you to say that? You’re not even black.

“Democrats don’t give a s–t about anybody. Hillary Clinton doesn’t give a s–t; she’s trying not to get locked up.

“Trump is much better than Clinton and Obama. … The only one to do what he said he would do is Donald Trump.”
              You know what they say about people unsure about whether to vote for Biden or Trump.

Comment

Shut up.
                I'm still laughing at this --- the guy who claims I "have a bee in my bonnet" begins a post with "shut up".

Comment

From the Black Lives Matter website

{from the front page}

We appreciate your support of the movement and our ongoing fight to end State-sanctioned violence, liberate Black people, and end white supremacy forever.

{from 'What we believe', emphasis mine}

We are guided by the fact that all Black lives matter, regardless of actual or perceived sexual identity, gender identity, gender expression, economic status, ability, disability, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, immigration status, or location.

We make space for transgender brothers and sisters to participate and lead.

We are self-reflexive and do the work required to dismantle cisgender privilege and uplift Black trans folk, especially Black trans women who continue to be disproportionately impacted by trans-antagonistic violence.

We build a space that affirms Black women and is free from sexism, misogyny, and environments in which men are centered.

We practice empathy. We engage comrades with the intent to learn about and connect with their contexts.

We make our spaces family-friendly and enable parents to fully participate with their children. We dismantle the patriarchal practice that requires mothers to work “double shifts” so that they can mother in private even as they participate in public justice work.

We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.

We foster a queer‐affirming network. When we gather, we do so with the intention of freeing ourselves from the tight grip of heteronormative thinking, or rather, the belief that all in the world are heterosexual (unless s/he or they disclose otherwise).

We cultivate an intergenerational and communal network free from ageism. We believe that all people, regardless of age, show up with the capacity to lead and learn.

We embody and practice justice, liberation, and peace in our engagements with one another.

Interesting...

{from 'Herstory', emphasis mine}
                  As organizers who work with everyday people, BLM members see and understand significant gaps in movement spaces and leadership. Black liberation movements in this country have created room, space, and leadership mostly for Black heterosexual, cisgender men — leaving women, queer and transgender people, and others either out of the movement or in the background to move the work forward with little or no recognition. As a network, we have always recognized the need to center the leadership of women and queer and trans people. To maximize our movement muscle, and to be intentional about not replicating harmful practices that excluded so many in past movements for liberation, we made a commitment to placing those at the margins closer to the center.

Tamir Rice, Tanisha Anderson, Mya Hall, Walter Scott, Sandra Bland — these names are inherently important. The space that #BlackLivesMatter held and continues to hold helped propel the conversation around the state-sanctioned violence they experienced. We particularly highlighted the egregious ways in which Black women, specifically Black trans women, are violated. #BlackLivesMatter was developed in support of all Black lives.

{from '6 Years strong'}

For more than 500 years Black people have been fighting for our freedom. We have fought back against slavery, Black codes, Jim Crow laws, policing, incarceration, some of the highest unemployment rates, consistent homelessness, dying while giving birth, being murdered for being trans or non-binary. We have been the consistent moral compass in a country that has thrived on harming the most vulnerable of its population.

Every Black person who has fought for our dignity deserves the deepest bow of gratitude. Six years later and Black activists and organizers are moving forward towards justice, towards visions, towards a world where our families and communities are no longer the sacrifice for a better America, for a better world. We are doing that through our continued fight against elected officials, be it Democrat or Republican, who don’t share a vision that is radical and intersectional. We are building grassroots power with Black communities who have been left out the political process. We are building new spaces and places that tell Black stories and remind the world our everlasting contributions.
                  ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                    From the Black Lives Matter website

{from the front page}

{from 'What we believe', emphasis mine}

Interesting...

{from 'Herstory', emphasis mine}

{from '6 Years strong'}
                    I think I posted this some time back, but, yeah.... the agenda is not just about Black Lives at all.

So, yeah, look at what BLM says about themselves -- not just a bunch of self-righteous feel-good white crackers.

Comment

Nope, and I never claimed that. You've had a bee in your bonnet the last few days, and while it's perfectly fine to disagree with me or question what I say, get some wasp spray and take care of the problem.

Actually, yes you did. You said his son is wrong which at the very least implies that you know what Ali would have thought better than his son does.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                        You know what they say about people unsure about whether to vote for Biden or Trump.
                        No. What do "they" say?

OTOH, I do know what Joe Biden said and was rightfully mocked and scorned for doing so.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

On the fourth anniversary of his death, Muhammad Ali’s only biological son says that his father would be against Black Lives Matter, calling the movement “racist” and the protesters “devils.”

“It’s not just black lives matter, white lives matter, Chinese lives matter, all lives matter, everybody’s life matters. God loves everyone — he never singled anyone out. Killing is wrong no matter who it is,” Ali said during an hour-long interview with The Post.

“Police don’t wake up and think, ‘I’m going to kill a n—-r today or kill a white man,'” he said. “They’re just trying to make it back home to their family in one piece.
                          He sounds like he was the greatest in more ways than boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Maranatha View Post
                            He sounds like he was the greatest in more ways than boxing.
                            He had a great sense of humor.
                            Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            One of the many stories I can tell about Ali to give you an idea what a marvelously twisted sense of humor he had.

My brother has been involved in the sports memorabilia trade for many years. In fact, during shows and conventions here in Atlanta he would be the guy sitting next to the big name draw keeping the line flowing smoothly while the person signed autographs.

Awhile back Muhammad Ali was going to be the big draw and Ali was the idol of my brother's boss (and later partner) at his regular job so my brother asked Bob if he wanted to sit in for him at the show. That is sit next to Ali for a couple hours and talk while he signed autographs.

For Bob it was truly a dream come true. He was ecstatic and obviously jumped at the chance.

Everything went well until about three quarters of the way through the show Ali suddenly stops signing an autograph and turns to Bob glaring at him. "What did you just say?," he growled softly at Bob all the while angrily glaring at him.

Bob was taken aback. He hadn't said anything and said so.

"No. I heard you," Ali snarled getting louder.

Bob continued protesting his innocence completely confused and not wanting one of the greatest boxers who ever lived, a man who made a living pummeling other top notched boxers, and someone he greatly admired, angry at him.

Ali continued getting even louder "You called me a [n-word]. I heard you!"

At this point Bob was stuttering, stammering and nearly reduced to tears both scared and upset.

Ali repeated the accusation even louder.

Then a big smile spread across his face and he told Bob, "It's okay, I was just messing with ya" and started chuckling.

At the end of the show Ali gave Bob a pair of the boxing gloves he had worn during the Olympics that he signed for him as a gift.

My brother inherited the gloves when Bob passed away about a decade later.

But that was how Ali was.

Ali loved magic.

I was his driver for one of these shows after which he asked me if I knew of any magic shops. There is one about 15 miles north of Atlanta on the square in Marietta. I called the store and the owner said he was closing in less than half an hour.

I told him that Muhammad Ali wanted to drop by and Ali even spoke to him but the guy was extremely skeptical thinking it was a prank. So we rushed to the store and got there about 15 minutes or so after closing. Fortunately the owner was just locking the door. Seeing Ali and his wife he re-opened.

Ali spent several minutes buying stuff and both him and the owner did a few tricks.

As we were leaving Ali asked if there was a place he could get some prints made. I took him to a Kinko's a few miles away.

There were two 'exotic dancers' making copies of their resumes or something like that and they just were ecstatic when they saw Ali enter. They asked if they could get some pictures with him to which he happily obliged.

As he was standing between them with a big grin (they were pretty girls), between shots he leaned back and looked at me and said "It's good to be the king."

After a couple more shots his wife told him that was enough to which he responded "yes dear" and said his good byes to the girls.

While his wife was not what anyone would say was a beauty it was more than evident that he was deeply in love and devoted to her.

Comment

I do not believe his son can speak for Muhammad Ali. He is expressing his own beliefs.
                              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment