Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Live Satelite Shows Coming Dust Cloud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post
    It’s weird that you can’t perceive how ancient the universe is. My mother-in-law has also been made to believe John MacArthur’s brand of YEC creationism. Shame on that man.
    Good for her. And for John.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      Good for her. And for John.
      Hooray for ignorance!

Comment

Meanwhile, the dust is still in the air, but should be moving out maybe today or tomorrow.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Hooray for ignorance!

I don't care one whit what you think of me or John MacArthur. Your m-i-l might, but you are her problem, not mine.

I care only what God thinks of me, and how I treat His word.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I don't care one whit what you think of me or John MacArthur. Your m-i-l might, but you are her problem, not mine.

You wouldn’t have responded if you didn’t.

Comment

Many of us are aware, whag, that we have lots of "lurkers" (and participants) who read what we write, and often, a response is not so much to the person to whom we are responding, but to those who are lurking.

I have to remind myself of that often.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Many of us are aware, whag, that we have lots of "lurkers" (and participants) who read what we write, and often, a response is not so much to the person to whom we are responding, but to those who are lurking.

I genuinely don’t understand what that means. Can you elaborate?

Comment

I genuinely don’t understand what that means. Can you elaborate?
                  Absolutely! Especially since you asked nicely.

Let's look at what was said.... (and you can correct me if I misunderstood)

You seemed to be stating that, though she said she does not care, the fact that she answered belies that. Good so far?

So, I responded....

It's not that she necessarily cares what you think, but for others who are reading, she stated her case.

That's why, often times, I respond to really really dumb things others say, even though I don't care what THEY think - I'm fully aware that others who MIGHT care about the truth can see my response.

Comment

Absolutely! Especially since you asked nicely.

Let's look at what was said.... (and you can correct me if I misunderstood)

You seemed to be stating that, though she said she does not care, the fact that she answered belies that. Good so far?

So, I responded....

It's not that she necessarily cares what you think, but for others who are reading, she stated her case.

That's why, often times, I respond to really really dumb things others say, even though I don't care what THEY think - I'm fully aware that others who MIGHT care about the truth can see my response.
                    Thanks for explaining! And you’re right. Maybe she doesn’t really care that I painted YEC in a negative light.

In that case, attention lurkers: mossrose was indoctrinated by Grace to You, a Calvinist organization that guilts its supporters into disregarding evidence of not only evolution but deep time.

Here’s a quote from MacArthur himself. Note that it’s an attempt to drive a wedge between those theists who accept the evidence for deep time and evolution and those who deny the evidence.

So-called theistic evolutionists who try to marry humanistic theories of modern science with biblical theism may claim they are doing so because they love God, but the truth is that they love God a little and their academic reputations a lot. By undermining the historicity of Genesis they are undermining faith itself. Give evolutionary doctrine the throne and make the Bible its servant, and you have laid the foundation for spiritual disaster.... The evolutionary lie is so pointedly antithetical to Christian truth that it would seem unthinkable for evangelical Christians to compromise with evolutionary science in any degree.
                    https://www.gty.org/library/articles...h-christianity

Comment

Thanks for explaining! And you’re right. Maybe she doesn’t really care that I painted YEC in a negative light.

In that case, attention lurkers: mossrose was indoctrinated by Grace to You, a Calvinist organization that guilts its supporters into disregarding evidence of not only evolution but deep time.

Here’s a quote from MacArthur himself. Note that it’s an attempt to drive a wedge between those theists who accept the evidence for deep time and evolution and those who deny the evidence.

https://www.gty.org/library/articles...h-christianity
                      I was not indoctrinated by MacArthur. I rejected evolution years before I even knew about him.

And I'm sure he cares not one whit what you think of him, either. Better men than you have criticized him unjustly.

Comment

I was not indoctrinated by MacArthur. I rejected evolution years before I even knew about him.

And I'm sure he cares not one whit what you think of him, either. Better men than you have criticized him unjustly.
                        If you reject evolution and deep time, you were deceived by fundamentalists who taught you to interpret Genesis hyperliterally. You were taught to believe predation, disease, and calamity was a result of human beings.

Then you discovered MacArthur who reinforced those beliefs with his sermons and writings.

Comment