Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Live Satelite Shows Coming Dust Cloud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live Satelite Shows Coming Dust Cloud

Live Satellite Shows Coming Dust Cloud!

And....

Massive Sahara desert dust plume drifting toward the United States
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 06-23-2020, 02:53 PM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I am starting to think this might actually be the beginning of the end times. Plagues, murder hornets, unemployment, crazy nuts destroying everything, earthquakes, storms.

I am sure hoping that pre-millennialism is true along with the rapture. I sure don't want to be here for the tribulation.

Comment

This I know -- in the past, these dust storms have made for some BEAUTIFUL sunrises and sunsets.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I am starting to think this might actually be the beginning of the end times. Plagues, murder hornets, unemployment, crazy nuts destroying everything, earthquakes, storms.

I am sure hoping that pre-millennialism is true along with the rapture. I sure don't want to be here for the tribulation.
        The murder hornets took one look at what was happening here and ended up turning around and going home.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The face masks may protect the people from breathing in this dust.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Birth pangs, dear brother. Things going to get an awful lot worse before the rapture occurs.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I would think a dust cloud from Africa that is low enough to be called a "storm" would settle long before it reached us. Dust has to be relatively heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                I would think a dust cloud from Africa that is low enough to be called a "storm" would settle long before it reached us. Dust has to be relatively heavy.
                My bad ---- not a dust storm in that sense. But we've seen this before, and the dust does, indeed, reach all across Texas, particularly settling in the area of the Gulf - Houston, Galveston, and along the coast.

I tried to fix the title and the OP accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  My bad ---- not a dust storm in that sense. But we've seen this before, and the dust does, indeed, reach all across Texas, particularly settling in the area of the Gulf - Houston, Galveston, and along the coast.

I tried to fix the title and the OP accordingly.
                  Oh, it does say "cloud". My bad.

Still, it would have to be low in the atmosphere, wouldn't it? How would it get up into the stratosphere without some sort of launch. I'm betting it will settle into the Atlantic long before it arrives.

ETA: Glad I got back here before you took my bet. I just read it is already in the Caribbean and heading for the US southeast. Dang!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/saharan...united-states/
                  Last edited by Ronson; 06-23-2020, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Oh, it does say "cloud". My bad.
                    Nope - you were right - I changed it!

Still, it would have to be low in the atmosphere, wouldn't it? How would it get up into the stratosphere without some sort of launch. I'm betting it will settle into the Atlantic long before it arrives.

African dust cloud will arrive in Texas this week, causing irritating symptoms for some

The Sahara dust cloud is set to arrive in Houston this week after completing a 5,000 mile journey across, and it's been a big, thick one so far.

The cloud made landfall in the Caribbean on Sunday, and it's "the thickest in decades to reach the Caribbean Sea,"

Those with respiratory problems like asthma and allergies might notice irritation after prolonged exposure outside. Young children, the elderly and pets might also notice some health effects.

This dust cloud isn't another symbol of doom in this... eventful year. The Saharan dust cloud is an annual feature of summer, and comes with some perks as well.

Particles in the air can create some stunning sunrises and sunsets, and the dust also makes it more difficult for hurricanes to form in the Atlantic.

Limit time outside if you're concerned about health effects.

AND.....

Saharan Dust: What to expect and what not to

dust cloud.jpg

Most of this dust plume is lofted 15,000 to 16,500 feet above the earth’s surface. While some minor concentrations of dust may settle down toward the ground, this is all expected to generally blow-by over the Brazos Valley’s heads. If we can pull off a soaking rain, that should help clear the haze out of the sky and improve the air quality for a short while before more dust swings back in. Here’s what that looked like over the weekend in Northern Trinidad after a round of storms:

Comment

Still, it would have to be low in the atmosphere, wouldn't it? How would it get up into the stratosphere without some sort of launch.
                      Have you ever seen a "dust devil"? It's like a small tornado of dust that forms when it's hot and dry, and the sand gets heated up enough that a column of air begins to rise, twisting as it ascends, picking up dust with it.

I've seen these frequently in West Texas and Mexico - and when we were kids, we'd actually run INTO them, and feel the dust swirling around us.

Comment

Have you ever seen a "dust devil"? It's like a small tornado of dust that forms when it's hot and dry, and the sand gets heated up enough that a column of air begins to rise, twisting as it ascends, picking up dust with it.

I've seen these frequently in West Texas and Mexico - and when we were kids, we'd actually run INTO them, and feel the dust swirling around us.

Sometimes, you might not actually see the dust, but you'd see sheets of paper or paper plates or cups, or other stuff way above your head slowly circling.... and you knew there was a "dust devil" somewhere.
                        You follow that down, and watch, and you can see the slender form of a tiny tornado beginning to develop.

Comment

Sometimes, you might not actually see the dust, but you'd see sheets of paper or paper plates or cups, or other stuff way above your head slowly circling.... and you knew there was a "dust devil" somewhere.
                          You follow that down, and watch, and you can see the slender form of a tiny tornado beginning to develop.
                          That happened at our daughter's wedding. It was a lovely June morning and we were outside taking pictures and all of a sudden out of the calm there was a mini-funnel that just was made up of wind and dust. A micro-burst that did no damage and was gone in a split second.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            That happened at our daughter's wedding. It was a lovely June morning and we were outside taking pictures and all of a sudden out of the calm there was a mini-funnel that just was made up of wind and dust. A micro-burst that did no damage and was gone in a split second.
                            Yeah, I've never known of these to do damage --- more like -- people stand in amazement. Or, to those who see these fairly often - the temptation to run into the "tornado".

Comment

Yeah, I got nailed by one once. Came up behind me out of nowhere. The people I was talking to started backing up with weird expressions, and before I could turn around my eyes and nose were full of dust.

Not a pleasant experience. Could have been worse if it was big as that Japanese one in the video.

Comment