Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fauci says Trump hasn't ordered slowdown of coronavirus testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fauci says Trump hasn't ordered slowdown of coronavirus testing

Trump often says stuff that appear to be engineered to freak out the media. At his recent rally, he made a dumb statement about "slowing down testing", and the media reacted reflexively.

"It's the opposite,” Fauci said in response to a question referencing Trump's remarks. “We’re going to be doing more testing, not less."

The government's top infectious disease expert told a House hearing Tuesday that he and other health officials have not been told to slow coronavirus testing, just hours after President Donald Trump again suggested he had asked for fewer tests.

Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told the House Energy and Commerce Committee that the administration continues to focus on scaling up testing capacity and that, to his knowledge, none of the White House coronavirus task force members had been told to do otherwise.

"It's the opposite,” Fauci said in response to a question referencing Trump's remarks. “We’re going to be doing more testing, not less."

Trump earlier Tuesday said he was serious when he revealed at a campaign rally Saturday that he had directed his administration to slow testing that was inflating the U.S. caseload. White House officials and Vice President Mike Pence have since walked back the remarks, saying they were made in jest.

FDA Commissioner Steven Hahn, CDC Director Robert Redfield and Assistant Secretary of Health Brett Giroir also told the House panel they had not been asked by the president to cut back tests.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Trump often says stuff that appear to be engineered to freak out the media. At his recent rally, he made a dumb statement about "slowing down testing", and the media reacted reflexively.

[...]
    Seems more dumb statements have been made:

President Donald Trump flatly contradicted his aides on Tuesday when he said he does not "kid," after they had for days been arguing he was joking when he said at a weekend campaign rally he had told officials to slow down coronavirus testing.

It was yet another instance of the White House scrambling to come up with language to play down one of his comments that had triggered a firestorm, only to have Trump himself, in the end, providing a completely different explanation. https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...testing-335459
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
      Seems more dumb statements have been made:
      Yes, Charles, I think he says those things to trigger the loony left.

Why?

It works.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yes, Charles, I think he says those things to trigger the loony left.

Why?

It works.
        It works to the extent that people focus on his dumb statements and less on the huge number of people who have died or will die because the president was more concerned with making dumb statements than taking appropriate action on this area.

And it works to the extent that some people like to promote him as being rather smart when he says stupid things. Seems they are happy to see the dirty tricks work and less concerned about truth and accountability. It is already starting to become a problem for the entire country though some people like to promote it as a smart strategy.
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

It works to the extent that people focus on his dumb statements and less on the huge number of people who have died or will die because the president was more concerned with making dumb statements than taking appropriate action on this area.
          No, Charles, the same people who are obsessed with his dumb statements are the same people who are obsessed with doom and gloom and death.

And it works to the extent that some people like to promote him as being rather smart when he says stupid things.
          Street smart - not smart.

Seems they are happy to see the dirty tricks work and less concerned about truth and accountability. It is already starting to become a problem for the entire country though some people like to promote it as a smart strategy.
          Thank you ever so kindly for gracing my thread with your presence.

Comment

No, Charles, the same people who are obsessed with his dumb statements are the same people who are obsessed with doom and gloom and death.
            Feel free to describe the actual death of more than 120.000 people like that. I would say it is another dumb statement.

Comment

Feel free to describe the actual death of more than 120.000 people like that.
              Oh, give me a break. Stow the self-righteous crap.

Nobody is celebrating the deaths, but the doom and gloom group never seems to highlight the recoveries. It's always fear and... cue the spooky music!

I would say it is another dumb statement.
              I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I say.

Comment

Nobody is celebrating the deaths, but the doom and gloom group never seems to highlight the recoveries. It's always fear and... cue the spooky music!

I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I say.
                Once again... More than more than 120.000 people are dead. And those who focus on that are doom and gloom groups according to you. And a president who continues to make false or contradictory statements in this very serious situation is just out there to trick the "loony" left and the media... Again according to you. In other cases you claim to take life seriously, though...

Comment

Once again... More than more than 120.000 people are dead.
                  Yes, tragic. People die. We need to do what we can to prevent deaths.

And those who focus on that are doom and gloom groups according to you.
                  If that's ALL they focus on -- and use that to scare people, and use bogus science to project MILLIONS of deaths..... ALL sides of this need to be reported, not just the [spooky music] DEATHS [/spooky music].

And a president who continues to make false or contradictory statements in this very serious situation is just out there to trick the "loony" left and the media...
                  I'm not defending, in any way, WHAT he said -- just explaining why I think he does it.

Again according to you. In other cases you claim to take life seriously, though...
                  I do. Wanna call me a liar?

Comment

Trump may have asked for it, but it sounds like his administration is ultimately going to continue testing at current rates.

So what's the problem?
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

[...]If that's ALL they focus on -- and use that to scare people, and use bogus science to project MILLIONS of deaths..... ALL sides of this need to be reported, not just the [spooky music] DEATHS [/spooky music].[...]
                      That is a beatiful straw man. That straw man was created in the image of Trump.

And remember, it is in this very situation, a situation in which more than 120.000 Americans have died that your president is now (at best) making a joke of the efforts to stop this. Contradicting himself, making false statements and the like as if it was all just a media game.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Trump may have asked for it, but it sounds like his administration is ultimately going to continue testing at current rates.

So what's the problem?
                        So, the administation does not listen and that solves the problem in your world? Who cares about what the president says or what his intentions are as long as the administration just does the right thing regardles of what the president says... I think the Trump apologetics need to reconsider their explanations on this one.

Comment

You're the one who casually dismissed the deaths of more than a hundred thousand Americans in the last 4 months.

Maybe it's time for a bit of self-reflection?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                            So, the administation does not listen and that solves the problem in your world?
                            A more charitable way to look at it is that Trump has his opinions, but he trusts the advisors he's put in charge even if they happen to disagree with him.

The lesson here is don't fixate on what Trump says, pay attention to what his administration actually does. I actually don't really pay much attention to Trump's speeches and TV interviews. Liberals always hyperventilate about "But Trump said! But Trump said!" and frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

So what's the problem?
                              I believe they said they're accelerating.

Comment