Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How much of this is Trump's fault?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    FWIU some of those predictions of between 1 and 2.2 MILLION Chicom coronavirus-related deaths factored in things like social distancing
    I would be completely open to seeing one of these predictions. So far, the links I've seen about death counts in the millions precluded mitigating factors.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
      No one predicted millions of death as a thing which might come to pass.

As long as you repeat this false claim, I will repeatedly correct you.
      Wrong.

Neil Ferguson and his colleagues at Imperial College London gathered an enormous amount of attention in very short order by producing enormous fatality rate estimates such as 510,000 dead in Britain and up to 2,200,000 in the U.S. (Paper)

Here is how the New York Times reported it:

Source: Behind the Virus Report That Jarred the U.S. and the U.K. to Action

It wasn’t so much the numbers themselves, frightening though they were, as who reported them: Imperial College London.

That messy back-and-forth has been on vivid display this week with the publication of a startling new report on the virus from a team at Imperial College in London. The report, which warned that an uncontrolled spread of the disease could cause as many as 510,000 deaths in Britain, triggered a sudden shift in the government’s comparatively relaxed response to the virus.

American officials said the report, which projected up to 2.2 million deaths in the United States from such a spread, also influenced the White House to strengthen its measures to isolate members of the public

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Nicholas Kristof echoed this in an op-ed for the paper:

Source: The Best-Case Outcome for the Coronavirus, and the Worst

Will we endure 2.2 million deaths? Or will we manage to turn things around?

Dr. Neil M. Ferguson, a British epidemiologist who is regarded as one of the best disease modelers in the world, produced a sophisticated model with a worst case of 2.2 million deaths in the United States.

I asked Ferguson for his best case. “About 1.1 million deaths,” he said.

When that’s a best-case scenario, it’s difficult to feel optimistic.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

What I wrote stands uncontested. Both "predictions" were for absolute worst-case scenarios - which were never a possibility. The US was always going to try to mitigate the spread and severity of the virus.

The virus did not go unchecked, and anyone who thought that we might do nothing about it is an idiot.

Maintaining that people predicted several millions deaths is dishonest, because the prediction relied upon a situation which was never going to exist.

Comment

All too easy...

So little jimmy, your ganja-addled self, along with many others, have supported "financial ruin" as the above demonstrated.
        CP's post was addressed specifically to me as well as to others posting in this thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          CP's post was addressed specifically to me as well as to others posting in this thread.
          Use the quote function and provide the exact quote. Are you smart enough to do that?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

That's WAY oversimplifying the situation.
            More and more places are making the wearing of a mask in public compulsory. Guess why.

It's no different than compulsory seat belt - reason: both saves lives.

Somebody wearing a mask can most certainly be infected through other means.
            Well, I didn't say wear a mask and then throw yourself in front of a bus. It stands to reason that wearing a mask also means take care of yourself at all times, such as washing your hands frequently, etc.

Comment

Actually, I bet you are not smart enough to use the quote function, so I'll do it for you. Lemme know if this is NOT the quote for which you falsely and cowardly accuse me of dishonesty....

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              What's amazing is how the left seems to be clinging to the hope that it will get REALLY worse, because it looks worse for Trump.

Same with the economy.

How sad it must be to be in a position to wish deaths and financial ruin on your country for political purposes.

Note --- how "the left" SEEMS to be clinging to the hope....

I did no call you out, but if the clown shoes fit, wear them.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Exactly, it didn't go unchecked. The Trump administration took steps to mitigate the spread of the China flu, and as a result, we've seen a minuscule fraction of what was originally modeled and predicted.

So does Trump get the credit?
                And as a leader has done a worse job than most of the rest of the world, and the spike in cases is still on the uptick. As a matter of fact the new cases per day are higher now than they were in April.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Child View Post
                  I edited out all the condescension and insults from your post, and this is all that was left.
                  Until you stop changing names, name calling, insults, using implication, among others - my post to you will reflect yours and treat you as the trash you are.

Originally posted by Mountain Child View Post
                  126,000 deaths is still a tiny fraction of what was originally predicted, which means the administration's efforts to keep the China flu under control have been hugely successful. I'm not certain that we necessarily needed to destroy our economy to accomplish it, and the long-term fallout from an extended lockdown is going to be ugly, I think, not just economically but socially, but you can't say Team Trump didn't "flatten the curve", which was the original stated goal.
                  You deride those predictions. So by your standards, he has done a bad job? To Trump, who spent months dismissing the severity of the virus, and who claimed 100,000 dead was doing a good job - he has been unsuccessful and a bad job was done. This is with a lock-down.

Last I checked, you're getting more than 40,000 new cases per day and it's accelerating. A 76% increase over the past 14 days. This isn't over, or do you claim it's done and dusted?

Comment

And as a leader has done a worse job than most of the rest of the world, and the spike in cases is still on the uptick. As a matter of fact the new cases per day are higher now than they were in April.
                    It's not Trump's fault progressive criminals decided to go on a looting spree with the blessing of every democrat mayor and governor in the country. You scumbags let the sick die alone (even though the virus is less lethal than the flu to young people) & banned them from attending their loved ones' funerals only to hold multiple immense memorials and funerals for a piece of garbage who happened to die with a cop on his neck.

You have no moral standing to demand that people stay home and "flatten the curve" and nobody wants to hear the garbage coming out of your mouth anymore.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zara View Post
                      Until you stop changing names, name calling, insults, using implication, among others - my post to you will reflect yours and treat you as the trash you are.
                      Yes, that's always the most mature approach.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                        Go read what Thoughtful Monk wrote. Per capita, we're doing at least as well as other countries.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Of course "nobody" cares about the predictions since liberals didn't get the million deaths to lay at Trump's feet that they were gleefully anticipating. But as Thoughtful Monk pointed out, a comparison of per capita numbers shows that the US is doing at least as well as any other country at mitigating the China flu.
                          Per capita, we are worse than China, Russia, India, Pakistan, Mexico, Germany, and a slew of other countries. Oh yes, we're better than Italy and Spain, but for how long?! We are catching up very fast.

Death/1million: Italy, 575; Spain,606; USA,389. Give it another month and we will top both these countries.

Comment

• Also another reminder that multiple Democrat governors intentionally sent sick patients back into homes for the elderly to murder them because the elderly tend to vote republican. If there is any justice in this world people like Cuomo will be put on trial for crimes against humanity and brought before a firing squad.
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zero View Post
                              You deride those predictions.
                              It's like this...

Liberals: "A million people are going to die if we don't do something!"

The Trump administration puts a plan into place that keeps the death toll to a miniscule fraction of that.

Liberals: "Oh yeah? Well, he still did a bad job, so there!"
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Yes, that's always the most mature approach.
                                How mature are you? You're just as bad as MM. Maybe grow up; I'm sure the bible has something to say about this. Hmm.

Comment