Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How much of this is Trump's fault?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much of this is Trump's fault?

How much blame for the current state of COVID-19 in the US does Trump deserve?

By "blame", I'm referring to the bad aspects of the pandemic. This includes the number of cases, the number of deaths, the local and federal economies, etc.

I have no illusions that the conversation will stay focused, but I'm asking that it be kept so. I'm looking for opinions from everyone, so even though the question revolves around criticism, I hope Trump supporters will pipe in as well, whether they defend him or not.

Please explain your answer. Thanks in advance.

Absolutely ever single bit. He brewed this virus in the basement of the White House.

No, seriously ---- there is so much conflicting information out there, and so much political finger-pointing, it's hard to know what to believe.

Both sides -- just like immigration -- will use this for political advantage to gain power. I'm sick of it.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post

By "blame", I'm referring to the bad aspects of the pandemic. This includes the number of cases, the number of deaths, the local and federal economies, etc.

I have no illusions that the conversation will stay focused, but I'm asking that it be kept so. I'm looking for opinions from everyone, so even though the question revolves around criticism, I hope Trump supporters will pipe in as well, whether they defend him or not.

In reality, little to none.

If I simply must assign blame, then I would assign the direct blame to China, and their Wuhan operations, cover-ups, lies and obfuscations.

If you mean the response, then the whole Corona team shares the blame, and the political leaders of both parties have Corona beer on their hands.

Politically, the left will say he is responsible for everything.

Comment

I blame the virus.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post

Like the governors, including the Blessed Saint Governor Cuomo, President Trump has made mistakes. I think he was too slow on closing down travel from Europe. He may have pushed for reopening a bit too soon. (I think human need to get out and socialize would have started the push anyways.) However as I recall, there was a lot of conflicting information (wear masks, don't wear masks, not human to human transmittable) that only blind luck could have made 100% correct choices. This is so big, I'm not sure any president could have gotten it right.

And I haven't heard anything from the Democratic party that tells me they would have done better. Too much looks to me like 20/20 hindsight.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
            Like the governors, including the Blessed Saint Governor Cuomo, President Trump has made mistakes. I think he was too slow on closing down travel from Europe. He may have pushed for reopening a bit too soon. (I think human need to get out and socialize would have started the push anyways.) However as I recall, there was a lot of conflicting information (wear masks, don't wear masks, not human to human transmittable) that only blind luck could have made 100% correct choices. This is so big, I'm not sure any president could have gotten it right.

And I haven't heard anything from the Democratic party that tells me they would have done better. Too much looks to me like 20/20 hindsight.
            EGGzackly.

Comment

The virus isn't Tumps fault, the response to it is. For one thing, the buck stops there, at the top, and The Trump administrations, despite the warnings, lack of readiness, it's poor response, and it's false messaging is responsible for the resulting severity of the spread the ongoing spike and the severity of the ecomomic crisis. Just look at the difference in the European Union, democratic governments all, and they are not spiking while in the US the virus continues to spike to the point where it is worse now than it was two months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Absolutely ever single bit. He brewed this virus in the basement of the White House.

No, seriously ---- there is so much conflicting information out there, and so much political finger-pointing, it's hard to know what to believe.

Both sides -- just like immigration -- will use this for political advantage to gain power. I'm sick of it.
                He disbanded the pandemic response team and said we didn’t know something like this was possible. McConnell said there was no pandemic playbook, yet there was.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  The virus isn't Tumps fault, the response to it is. For one thing, the buck stops there, at the top, and The Trump administrations, despite the warnings, lack of readiness, it's poor response, and it's false messaging is responsible for the resulting severity of the spread the ongoing spike and the severity of the ecomomic crisis. Just look at the difference in the European Union, democratic governments all, and they are not spiking while in the US the virus continues to spike to the point where it is worse now than it was two months ago.
                  For people looking at the spike in cases, I recommend that you shift your focus to the number of deaths happening right now and the number of hospital icu beds available across time. I already showed that Dallas County, Texas, had plenty of ICU beds available if cases went bad. And the number of deaths in Dallas County due to COVID-19 were less than flu deaths for 90 days of flu season. The main thing that is needed is that we examine the right statistics to see whether we really need to be scared to death about this coronavirus anymore. Certainly, many people like being scared. That is why they watch scary movies.
                  Last edited by mikewhitney; 06-26-2020, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Watch Trumpers deliberately avoid the effect of Trump’s mixed messaging regarding testing. What kind of president says fewer tests translates to fewer cases?

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                      Watch Trumpers deliberately avoid the effect of Trump’s mixed messaging regarding testing. What kind of president says fewer tests translates to fewer cases?
                      As I already said, there has been mixed messaging all around, and Trump did himself no favors in the way he handled this. The only guy who outdid Trump on handling this was Mister "bring the camera in closer" Cuomo.

Comment

He disbanded the pandemic response team and said we didn’t know something like this was possible. McConnell said there was no pandemic playbook, yet there was.
                        Just out of curiosity, have you ever posted a happy thought on Tweb?

Comment

As I already said, there has been mixed messaging all around, and Trump did himself no favors in the way he handled this. The only guy who outdid Trump on handling this was Mister "bring the camera in closer" Cuomo.
                          You’re a Trumper? If not, why are you responding?

Comment

Just out of curiosity, have you ever posted a happy thought on Tweb?
                            Oh I forgot how Revelations is brimming with happy thoughts.

Comment

No. He didn't. They had been scheduled for being disbanded and got rolled into other agencies like the one that handles bio-terrorism attacks.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment