Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How much of this is Trump's fault?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Um... look at your own source. Based on deaths per 1 million, the US is doing at least as well as countries with similar population sizes and/or densities, and in some cases doing significantly better.
    Which countries are those?

Which countries with similar population sizes/densities is the US doing significantly better than, based on deaths per million?
    Which countries with similar population sizes/densities is the US doing as well as?

Every country doing worse than the US has a much smaller population and, except for Sweden, a higher population density as well.

The US is doing worse than every other country except Sweden with a population density below the world average.
    The US is doing worse than every other country with a population of more than 100 million.
    Last edited by Roy; 06-30-2020, 06:29 AM.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
      This isn't an unreasonable analysis.

I would simply add that just because infection percentages are low (relatively-speaking) doesn't mean that one country's 5% (for example) is equivalent to another's. It surely has to count that "5%" meaning 100,000 people and "5%" meaning 10 million people aren't comparable.

And really, the US has liked to think of itself as a world leader and a super-power; shouldn't we be doing better on a number of fronts, given our technology and wealth? More to the point, shouldn't we be avoiding the kind of resurgence we're currently experiencing?

Again, I agree with your analysis. I just think it's an incomplete picture.
      Thanks. I do this for work all the time so I get lots of practice.

Technology and wealth make a difference but that's not the whole story. With a new disease, our tech and wealth should make our response better or quicker. Unfortunately, these are negatively impacted by our society and bureaucracy. Our society is built on individualism so there is only so much control the government can exert. For example China can order their people to do things that would be impossible here - both socially and legally. So you're constantly dealing with people who decide to act in the way they think is best which may not be best for the whole. With our governments so big, I'm sure the post pandemic analysis is going to show many place the wrong answer got pushed, an answer got delayed on someone desk, etc. Then you put the state governments into the mix and it's a wonder we aren't doing worse. Our society is built for many good things but efficiency isn't one of them.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        While the number of fatalities steadily drops.
        I'm not aware of how steadily the fatalities have dropped but that has nothing to do with it really. Survival has to do with the health of the individuals that contact the virus not how many contact it.
        Just wondering, do you think that the massive increase in testing might have anything to do with the number of people reported as having had the Chicom coronavirus increasing?
        Well, Yeah, like the President said, if we do less testing we'll have less cases. But it's a little late to be talking about how much more testing we are doing now, which according to most is still no where near enough, but the trick was to be ready to do rampant testing, tracing and isolating from the get go to stop the spread from getting this big in the first place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Um... look at your own source. Based on deaths per 1 million, the US is doing at least as well as countries with similar population sizes and/or densities, and in some cases doing significantly better.
          Maybe MM thinks the US is doing significantly better than other countries with similar population sizes (Indonesia, Pakistan, Brazil, Nigeria, Bangladesh, Russia) because the US numbers for deaths/million are significantly higher.
          Last edited by Roy; 06-30-2020, 11:01 AM.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Wow

Biden was asked if he had been tested for Covid....

"No, and for two reasons....
            I don't have symptoms (knock on wood)
            I don't want to take somebody else's place in line.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              True. They made similar sensational death estimates concerning mad cow disease, bird flu and swine flu and yet are continued to be viewed as the go-to experts.

Meanwhile, as increased testing finds more folks who were infected the rate in the number of fatalities is steadily decreasing.
              As I wrote, this isn't over yet.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                As I wrote, this isn't over yet.
                The plus-sized person currently identifying as female as not yet harmoniously vocalized?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  The plus-sized person currently identifying as female as not yet harmoniously vocalized?
                  With regard to the fat lady singing - we have no idea how long this virus is going to be around, nor how it may evolve.

And while, at the present time, this does not represent an imminent threat to humans, it is out there. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...na-researchers.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  The things that you're liable
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life
                  Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                    With regard to the fat lady singing

- we have no idea how long this virus is going to be around, nor how it may evolve.
                    I believe that's a safe statement.

And while, at the present time, this does not represent an imminent threat to humans, it is out there. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...na-researchers.
                    It is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      Which countries are those?

Which countries with similar population sizes/densities is the US doing significantly better than, based on deaths per million?
                      Which countries with similar population sizes/densities is the US doing as well as?
                      It seems those other countries exist purely in MM's fantasy world. Or maybe he's realised his claims are indefensible and hasn't got the guts to admit it.

Comment