Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

BET Founder Urges Black Lives Matter to Form Independent Political Party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BET Founder Urges Black Lives Matter to Form Independent Political Party

Robert Johnson, co-founder of BET (Black Entertainment Television) wants to see Black Lives Matter become a permanent part of American politics. He suggested transforming the movement into an official political party in an email to the movement's leaders and supporters this week.

Johnson opened up about this possibility, which he explained would solidify Black voices as their own entity, in a conversation with CNBC's Squawk On The Street.

"I've been convinced for a long time that 40 million African Americans who tend to vote as a block in one of the two parties limit their leverage in getting action from both parties," he began. "I think it's time that African Americans start an independent party, not be an appendage of one party or ignored by the other party, and using their leverage in a democracy to say we stand for things that are principally focused on the interest of the 40 million African Americans, and not have that diluted.".......

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

If they think that's best, go for it. It might help bring up new ideas that may be being held back by the major parties.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      If they think that's best, go for it. It might help bring up new ideas that may be being held back by the major parties.
      I think they'd err in fielding their own candidate - that never works well for a third party - but they would be able to leverage their support to either candidate.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Robert Johnson, co-founder of BET (Black Entertainment Television) wants to see Black Lives Matter become a permanent part of American politics. He suggested transforming the movement into an official political party in an email to the movement's leaders and supporters this week.

Johnson opened up about this possibility, which he explained would solidify Black voices as their own entity, in a conversation with CNBC's Squawk On The Street.

"I've been convinced for a long time that 40 million African Americans who tend to vote as a block in one of the two parties limit their leverage in getting action from both parties," he began. "I think it's time that African Americans start an independent party, not be an appendage of one party or ignored by the other party, and using their leverage in a democracy to say we stand for things that are principally focused on the interest of the 40 million African Americans, and not have that diluted.".......

Sounds good to me. If they can get it done before November it will diminish votes for Biden.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          Sounds good to me. If they can get it done before November it will diminish votes for Biden.
          I think what Johnson is hoping to accomplish is to force both parties to pander to the "Independent" group.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
            The big problem is that Black Lives Matter leans heavily Democrat. So if they went off and made their own party, that results in vote splitting and thus defeat. Under our current first-past-the-post system, for a third party to have any actual chance it needs to be drawing roughly equally off the Democratic and Republican parties and/or appealing strongly to disenfranchised people who don't vote either Democrat or Republican; of all the third parties, only the Libertarian Party and American Solidarity Party seem to have platforms capable of this, but that does not seem to be the case here.

Maybe if we can finally get Ranked Choice Voting implemented it could be a real force, as RCV prevents virtually all concerns of vote splitting. It does seem to be gaining popularity as an idea. Here's to hoping the RCV referendums pass in Alaska and Massachusetts this year and this leads to more states adopting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I think what Johnson is hoping to accomplish is to force both parties to pander to the "Independent" group.
              The Right aren't about to pander to them. Conservative sympathies are quickly eroding so Johnson won't get much mileage from conservatives in the long term. BLM will have to reinvent itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                The Right aren't about to pander to them. Conservative sympathies are quickly eroding so Johnson won't get much mileage from conservatives in the long term. BLM will have to reinvent itself.
                I think that's what Johnson wants....

Comment