Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Generator for FREE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    No, the church building was not that old, the pews had been given to them by a church somewhere in New England.
    I'll have to look into that some more.

I think the oldest Baptist Church in Texas is about 185 years old, and we have one up the street from us that is where Sam Houston was baptized in the 1850's.
    The legend is that when Houston was baptized, all the fish down stream died.
    (he was quite a colorful individual)
    I didn't know if there were churches that old in Texas, except maybe Catholic ones from when it used to be Mexico.

We visited this church near Tuscon several years ago when we were in those parts, and so I know there are some old structures around.

It was a bizarre experience for us to enter that church. We've been in some old Catholic churches, but there were a lot of people standing in a line at the front of the church where there was a figure lying on a bier of some sort. At first we thought it was a dead body, but the people in line took their turn at lifting the figure up into a sitting position, kissing it and laying it back down. This was done over and over.

I guess it must have been a facsimile of the founder or one of the others who had a hand in building it. It was such a strange ritual that it sort of creeped me out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missio...Xavier_del_Bac

We've also been in the old mission at Monterey, CA.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      I didn't know if there were churches that old in Texas, except maybe Catholic ones from when it used to be Mexico.
      Yup, definitely lots of older Catholic "missions".

We visited this church near Tuscon several years ago when we were in those parts, and so I know there are some old structures around.

It was a bizarre experience for us to enter that church. We've been in some old Catholic churches, but there were a lot of people standing in a line at the front of the church where there was a figure lying on a bier of some sort. At first we thought it was a dead body, but the people in line took their turn at lifting the figure up into a sitting position, kissing it and laying it back down. This was done over and over.

I guess it must have been a facsimile of the founder or one of the others who had a hand in building it. It was such a strange ritual that it sort of creeped me out.
      Yup - familiar with that situation, even been there. (no, wait, maybe not)

We've also been in the old mission at Monterey, CA.
      We shoulda had lunch! We were there, too!!!!

Then there's the church of the mysterious wooden staircase built by Joseph, the husband of Mary.

That really was interesting to see.

stairs.jpg
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yup, definitely lots of older Catholic "missions".

Yup - familiar with that situation, even been there. (no, wait, maybe not)

We shoulda had lunch! We were there, too!!!!

Then there's the church of the mysterious wooden staircase built by Joseph, the husband of Mary.

That really was interesting to see.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46605[/ATTACH]
        Santa Fe!

Been there, too!
        If you'd told me you were going to be in Monterey I would have loved to meet up!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Santa Fe!

Been there, too!
          If you'd told me you were going to be in Monterey I would have loved to meet up!
          Did you see this staircase? Were you in that same building?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Did you see this staircase? Were you in that same building?
            Yes!

And I scoffed at the story.

But it's really beautiful.

Comment

Yes!

Scoffer!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Scoffer!!!
                What was it NRAJeff and OtherCheek used to call us? SniperMockers?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Scoffer!!!

Comment

Yes!

Coolness! And, yes, the staircase was quite amazing.

Comment

Coolness! And, yes, the staircase was quite amazing.
                      MelMak was 7 and our daughter 4 when we saw that church in Santa Fe. He's 44 this year, and she turns 41.

A long time ago.

We were in Arizona in 2007, and Monterey in 2011.

Comment

MelMak was 7 and our daughter 4 when we saw that church in Santa Fe. He's 44 this year, and she turns 41.

A long time ago.

We were in Arizona in 2007, and Monterey in 2011.
                        I'll have to look and see when we were there, but the NM trip would have been in association with our trip to Glorietta Conference Center, so, I'm guessing.... '82, maybe.

Comment

I'll have to look and see when we were there, but the NM trip would have been in association with our trip to Glorietta Conference Center, so, I'm guessing.... '82, maybe.
                          Maybe we were there the same time and didn't know it!

Comment

Maybe we were there the same time and didn't know it!

Somewhere, I've got pictures of me standing by (or in front of) that staircase, so, that will tell me the date.

(assuming I can find those pictures)

ETA: :drat: That would have been before cell phone pics!!!!

Comment

Somewhere, I've got pictures of me standing by (or in front of) that staircase, so, that will tell me the date.

(assuming I can find those pictures)

ETA: :drat: That would have been before cell phone pics!!!!
                              And I have pictures of that staircase, too, but it was before digital camera and cell phones and I would have to hunt through our old albums and find them and scan them and post them.

:drat:

Comment