Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Generator for FREE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator for FREE

OK, the title gave away the Praise....

For the last 6 months, Mrs CP and I have been considering getting a whole-house generator.
    The cost would be $10-12,000.

We live "out in the country", outside the city, but we have natural gas from the city, and power from a Rural Coop.
    The Rural Coop is fairly reliable, but when the power goes out, it could be out for a day or two.
    Not really a biggie, as, during Hurricane Ike, we were without power for 14 days!
    We no longer live near the Gulf, so it's not likely we'll experience a direct hit from a Hurricane.

We considered the resale value of the house with a whole-house generator, but still, it's a LOT of money.
    At risk would be freezer full of beef, and a regular fridge and freezer, but, hey... you can buy a LOT of beef for $10-12,000!
    We're also on a water well of our own, so without power, we'd have no running water.

LONG story short, after about 6 months of going back and forth with the salesman, I stopped by his office this morning and told him we decided to do it.

We went through the contract, chose the options to be included, and I signed the deal.
    I was supposed to put 10% down, but when I plopped my checkbook onto the desk, he said "put that away".

I said, "you don't want a deposit now?"

He said, "I can't tell you who, but I'm not allowed to let you pay for this - it's not going to cost you a dime".

PLUS ---- because of "the times", installs are at least 8-12 weeks out, but he said "I'm going back to when we first started, so I can do your install in a couple weeks".

Thank you, Lord!!!!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I bet I know who did it.

Praise God!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Wow!

Although I thought you were giving away a generator for free from the title.

I have considered getting one of those too. But yeah $10K is a lot for a few outages per year. Right now I am using UPS power supplies for my computers and one for lights.

Comment

A couple days ago (Did I already tell this?) Mrs CP and I were sitting on the couch discussing whether or not to do this, and our power went out.

JUST FOR A MINUTE, and just enough to reboot the Amazon Fire Cube. (I have our internet and computers on UPS, but I forgot about the Cube).

We looked at each other, and I said "I bet Dennis is out there at the service panel"!!!!

A few days ago, power went out for 3 hours. The thing is, during that 3 hours, you don't know if it's gonna be 20 minutes or 3 days.

(Dennis is our sales guy)
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Actually, Dennis is the owner of the company, and deals in both Generac and Kohler.

Dennis told us that he believes that Kohler is the superior product, though Generac seems to have the market share.
          Kohler, for our needs, was a little more expensive, but he offered it at the same price as Generac, with a 5 year warranty included.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            A couple days ago (Did I already tell this?) Mrs CP and I were sitting on the couch discussing whether or not to do this, and our power went out.

JUST FOR A MINUTE, and just enough to reboot the Amazon Fire Cube. (I have our internet and computers on UPS, but I forgot about the Cube).

We looked at each other, and I said "I bet Dennis is out there at the service panel"!!!!

A few days ago, power went out for 3 hours. The thing is, during that 3 hours, you don't know if it's gonna be 20 minutes or 3 days.

(Dennis is our sales guy)
            What worries me most is losing power in winter. Because while my furnace is gas, the fan isn't so I wouldn't have any heat if the power went out for more than a few hours. AC in the summer is a concern but I can take the heat better than days of no heat. And the time I would most likely lose the power would be of course during a winter storm. I have also considered getting one of those gas fireplaces put in, but really don't have space for one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              What worries me most is losing power in winter. Because while my furnace is gas, the fan isn't so I wouldn't have any heat if the power went out for more than a few hours. AC in the summer is a concern but I can take the heat better than days of no heat. And the time I would most likely lose the power would be of course during a winter storm. I have also considered getting one of those gas fireplaces put in, but really don't have space for one.
              My neighbor (the Sheriff) already got one, but his was WAY more expensive, because his gas meter is on one end of his house, and his electric meter on the far other end. They had to run main power from the power panel, up and through the attic, down to the generator, then return main power from the generator up through the attic, across the house, and back down to the power panel.

When I built my house, I specifically planned a spot for the generator, only 5 feet away from both the gas meter and the electric meter on the "dead" end of the house, outside was is a walk-in closet.

Comment

I could use a free generator.

Are you getting diesel or gasoline powered?

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                  I could use a free generator.

Are you getting diesel or gasoline powered?
                  Natural Gas. Most of the whole-home generators around (20K and more) will be NG or Propane.

Interesting story there.....
                  Though we are OUTSIDE the city, there is an abandoned water line that went from the city out beyond our development to a reservoir.
                  When they put in a new BIGGER water line, somebody came up with the brilliant idea of "sleeving" a gas main through the abandoned water main, and providing natural gas well beyond city limits.

Though I'm "in the country", I get natural gas from the city, electricity from a Rural Coop (do they have those where you are?), and GigaSpeed Fiber Optic network from AT&T.
                  We have our own water well and septic, so we're pretty much self-sufficient, as long as natural gas is available.

About the only time NG is affected is when there's a major natural disaster like an earthquake that breaks gas mains and starts fires.
                  (OR, some idiot drills holes for a fence post without doing the "Call Before You Dig" thing --- in our case, the gas mains run under the rights of way of main highways)

Comment

Natural Gas. Most of the whole-home generators around (20K and more) will be NG or Propane.

Interesting story there.....
                    Though we are OUTSIDE the city, there is an abandoned water line that went from the city out beyond our development to a reservoir.
                    When they put in a new BIGGER water line, somebody came up with the brilliant idea of "sleeving" a gas main through the abandoned water main, and providing natural gas well beyond city limits.

Though I'm "in the country", I get natural gas from the city, electricity from a Rural Coop (do they have those where you are?), and GigaSpeed Fiber Optic network from AT&T.
                    We have our own water well and septic, so we're pretty much self-sufficient, as long as natural gas is available.

About the only time NG is affected is when there's a major natural disaster like an earthquake that breaks gas mains and starts fires.
                    (OR, some idiot drills holes for a fence post without doing the "Call Before You Dig" thing --- in our case, the gas mains run under the rights of way of main highways)
                    Wow. good thinking of that person who pushed for the natural gas line.

Does this generator work both with NG and, alternatively, Propane?

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                      Wow. good thinking of that person who pushed for the natural gas line.

Does this generator work both with NG and, alternatively, Propane?
                      It's an either/or. You order it either NG or Propane. With propane, you'd have to have a BIG tank sitting in your back yard (or beside the house, at least 15 feet away), and you have to monitor the tank and schedule to have it refilled.
                      That's why we love NG.

I just stumbled on this pic where they, apparently, have an oil-fired furnace (at the corner of the house) and a Propane tank - albeit they decorated it nicely - and a Generac generator.

9c8b7c96d0cf27e3bc12e94b54d15d2f.jpg

From what I understand, it's not a big deal to convert the engine from NG to Propane (or verse visa) --- basically a device like a carburetor.

Comment

yeah my gas and electric are on opposite sides of the house too. But they could probably run a gas line through the basement to the electrical side and mount the generator there. There is already a gas line running to the furnace in the basement.

Comment

yeah my gas and electric are on opposite sides of the house too. But they could probably run a gas line through the basement to the electrical side and mount the generator there. There is already a gas line running to the furnace in the basement.
                          Not sure, but ever since the New London (Texas) School explosion, I don't think they're allowed to run gas lines through basements. (Or maybe that's just Texas)

(the disaster drew attention worldwide, prompting even Adolph Hitler to send a telegram expressing sorrow - the telegram now on exhibit at the memorial - also, particularly in Texas, this expedited the requirement to add Mercaptan (the skunky smell) to natural gas feeds)

Comment

Not sure, but ever since the New London (Texas) School explosion, I don't think they're allowed to run gas lines through basements. (Or maybe that's just Texas)

(the disaster drew attention worldwide, prompting even Adolph Hitler to send a telegram expressing sorrow - the telegram now on exhibit at the memorial - also, particularly in Texas, this expedited the requirement to add Mercaptan (the skunky smell) to natural gas feeds)
                            Then how do you get gas to the stoves and furnaces?

Comment

Then how do you get gas to the stoves and furnaces?
                              The piping goes up walls, across the attic and down walls.

I'd say most houses in Texas don't have basements, but gas piping doesn't go under the main floor.

Comment