Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Anti-Mask Karens of Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Anti-Mask Karens of Florida

Get a load of the nutters protesting mask wearing in Florida of all places, where the population is more vulnerable and rate of infection sees no signs of slowing down.

https://imgur.com/gallery/z4jtjeQ

Originally posted by whag View Post
    Get a load of the nutters protesting mask wearing in Florida of all places, where the population is more vulnerable and rate of infection sees no signs of slowing down.

https://imgur.com/gallery/z4jtjeQ
    Yeah - I saw some of that. Nutters influence by Trump et al and covering it over with some sort of religious sauce. They are probably sincere people, I know a few that could easily have been there, but it's just pure ignorance.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

There's no doubt that they're mentally retarded.

However, part of me wonders just how representative they are of the Florida populace. I have relatives down there, and yes, they're a bit dim - but they're basically good people, and would cringe at this clip just as much as we are.

Comment

"I don't wear masks for the same reason I don't wear underwear."

Comment

Remember the good old days before Social Media when we'd never even hear about this nuttery?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Remember the good old days before Social Media when we'd never even hear about this nuttery?
            What, no Karens in the family? I have two.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
              Ya know, in more ways than one, that's truly an insult to the actually mentally retarded.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                What, no Karens in the family? I have two.
                we have several friends that have been sucked into the same nuttiness that produced what you saw in those videos. Not everyone will stand up before a crowd and say things like that, but you'll find virtually the same text on who knows how many 10's of thousands of social media sites. FWICT, It's that Trump supporting media directed undercurrent I've been excoriated for admitting exists in the evangelical community by many here mixed in with a very paranoid religious perspective.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post

However, part of me wonders just how representative they are of the Florida populace. I have relatives down there, and yes, they're a bit dim - but they're basically good people, and would cringe at this clip just as much as we are.
                  I don't have a good window into how representative it is, but I know enough people in the evangelical community not far from it that I would guess it is not a small number.

Comment

Is Karen a person or is it a name for something else? I've come across it before I think...

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                      Is Karen a person or is it a name for something else? I've come across it before I think...
                      A name for a type of person. Kind of like calling someone a Jezebel.

Edit for clarification. Not that they mean the same thing, just that they are both real names, but can are used for a type of person rather than their name specifically.

Comment

Ah:

Originally posted by Wiki
                        Karen is a pejorative term used in the Western world for a woman perceived to be entitled or demanding beyond the scope of what is considered appropriate or necessary. A common stereotype is that of a racist white woman who uses her privilege to demand her own way at the expense of others. Depictions also include demanding to "speak to the manager", being an anti-vaxxer, or having a particular bob cut hairstyle. As of 2020, the term has increasingly been used as a general-purpose term of disapproval for middle-aged white women.
                        Fair enough - I recognise the type from some of the entitled shoppers at certain UK supermarkets - though I don't recognise the bit about haircuts...

The male version appears to be 'gammon' to describe the angry gammon-faced boomers in the audience of BBC Question Time. Before 'gammon', its older reference was the British phrase 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells'

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                          Ah:

Fair enough - I recognise the type from some of the entitled shoppers at certain UK supermarkets - though I don't recognise the bit about haircuts...

The male version appears to be 'gammon' to describe the angry gammon-faced boomers in the audience of BBC Question Time. Before 'gammon', its older reference was the British phrase 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells'
                          I hadn't heard either term / moniker before coming to these forums recently.

Comment

I really don't like it when they take a common name like that and assign nutty behavior to it.

Comment

Originally posted by sparko View Post

"i don't wear masks for the same reason i don't wear underwear."
                              tmi.

Comment