Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Joe Biden - The Mask Police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Biden - The Mask Police

If there was any single reason to vote AGAINST Biden, this one would qualify.

Originally posted by Article
    Mandatory masks? Biden says as president he would require wearing face coverings in public
    Rebecca Shabad
    NBC NewsJune 26, 2020, 9:23 AM CDT

WASHINGTON -- Joe Biden says that if he were president, he would require people across the country to wear masks in public during the coronavirus pandemic.

"The one thing we do know, these masks make a gigantic difference. I would insist that everybody in public be wearing that mask," the presumptive 2020 Democratic presidential nominee said in an interview with the CBS Pittsburgh affiliate KDKA on Thursday.

Biden, who was wearing a mask during the interview and stood a distance away from the reporter and TV camera, said that anyone who wanted to reopen a business would have to ensure that people who walk in would have access to masks.

Asked if he would use his federal leverage to mandate the wearing of masks, the former vice president said, "Yes, I would from an executive standpoint. Yes, I would."

"I would do everything possible to make it required that people had to wear masks in public," Biden said.

During the interview, Biden also dismissed the idea of holding large rallies under the current circumstances because the virus is not under control and a vaccine is not yet available.

Biden's comments come amid a surge in coronavirus cases in a number of states across the country, with some being forced to pause their reopenings. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday also said that the number of COVID-19 cases in the U.S. may be 10 times higher than reported.

President Donald Trump, for his part, has declined to wear a mask throughout the pandemic, including during his first campaign rally in months last weekend in Tulsa, Oklahoma, which took place inside an arena where supporters were not required to wear masks.

Experts, meanwhile, have been encouraging people to wear masks because it can significantly reduce transmission of the virus and potentially prevent a second wave of the disease.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...ublic-n1232209

Dude, if these tyrants get into office, the hammer's going to drop. If they're anything like the the governors and mayors, we're screwed. But it just may be inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
      If there was any single reason to vote AGAINST Biden, this one would qualify.
      Why?

Forcing people to wear a mask seems - even if you disagree with it - like a pretty small thing. The government already forces you to wear clothes in public, to have a license to drive in public - to do many things that a citizen needs the public to do. Masks are a no-brainer, but even if you dislike the idea of being forced to wear one, it's not like that mandate would last forever; a few years tops, at which point people would simply wear one because it's not a serious imposition...

With all due respect, this seems like a stupid hill to make a stand on ...

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
        Why?

Forcing people to wear a mask seems - even if you disagree with it - like a pretty small thing. The government already forces you to wear clothes in public, to have a license to drive in public - to do many things that a citizen needs the public to do. Masks are a no-brainer, but even if you dislike the idea of being forced to wear one, it's not like that mandate would last forever; a few years tops, at which point people would simply wear one because it's not a serious imposition...

I hardly no where to start.

1) If you are worried about getting covid (or a flu or a cold) then you should take precautions. Stay home. Or wear a full face mask-shield (which is about the only real protection you're going to get anyway). But the idea of forcing other people to accomodate your health concerns is selfish. If I had AIDS I would take precautions to not get sick and die. The responsibility would be mine - not yours.

2) Biden isn't even president yet and he's talking about forcing the entire US population (with threat of incarceration?) to perform an incredibly stupid function. I have a mask in my car that does absolutely nothing. It is so pourous as to be completely useless. If a law was passed to force me to wear it, that's what I would wear; a useless artificial mask. It is too difficult for me to breathe through surgical masks. So it is unenforceable.

3) This isn't Biden's ballgame to call anyway. This is something for individual states to address. People in Nome, Alaska aren't facing the same problems as Los Angleles - but a federal edict would treat them all the same. And is a common argument by libertarians to keep as much legislation as local as possible, to avoid using a jackhammer for every nail.

Biden is a big-government guy. He wants to wield power from his throne, whether it is applicable or not for everybody everywhere. And is generally why I find Democrats to be a frightening political party.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          Dude, if these tyrants get into office, the hammer's going to drop. If they're anything like the the governors and mayors, we're screwed. But it just may be inevitable.
          Even if Trump is working hard on it I don't think he'll lose the election. It is very rare that a US president fails to win the second term.

Comment

I have a mask in my car that does absolutely nothing. It is so pourous as to be completely useless. If a law was passed to force me to wear it, that's what I would wear; a useless artificial mask.
            I know you aren't stupid, but it's annoying to have to explain this yet-again:

The kind of mask the public has general access to is NOT intended to protect the wearer. It's intended to protect the people around the wearer. As such, even a ratty piece of cloth is useful, because it limits the range of the droplets you expel when coughing/sneezing/talking. By wearing a mask, you're helping keep rest of the public safe.

Whether Biden is someone you like/trust/approve-of is certainly relevant to the thread topic, so I'm not questioning that. I'd expect any libertarian to react negatively to the idea of being forced to do anything like this by the federal government, regardless of the politician's identity, so I'm not questioning that either.

When it comes to the efficacy of masks, though, it's insane to argue that they're ineffective. Coupled with social distancing (which isn't always possible), the mask is extremely effective in limiting the spread of the virus.

Please don't say something that causes me to repeat the above text in larger, bolded and more colorful letters...

Comment

Why?
              Selective and partial enforcement, much of the way many of the governors and mayors have been enforcing these mandates, only on a federal level now.

Comment

I know you aren't stupid, but it's annoying to have to explain this yet-again:

The kind of mask the public has general access to is NOT intended to protect the wearer.
                Did I say otherwise?

It's intended to protect the people around the wearer. As such, even a ratty piece of cloth is useful, because it limits the range of the droplets you expel when coughing/sneezing/talking. By wearing a mask, you're helping keep rest of the public safe.
                Covering my mouth when I cough protects the public - assuming I have something they need protection from.

Whether Biden is someone you like/trust/approve-of is certainly relevant to the thread topic, so I'm not questioning that. I'd expect any libertarian to react negatively to the idea of being forced to do anything like this by the federal government, regardless of the politician's identity, so I'm not questioning that either.

When it comes to the efficacy of masks, though, it's insane to argue that they're ineffective. Coupled with social distancing (which isn't always possible), the mask is extremely effective in limiting the spread of the virus.
                So is a face shield. It protects the wearer. People who are worried about this virus should wear them.

shield.jpg

Comment

a face shield. It protects the wearer. People who are worried about this virus should wear them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46073[/ATTACH]
                  That's a red herring, because I'm pretty sure you'd complain if Biden said he was going to mandate people wear face shields (instead of masks).

Comment

That's a red herring,
                    No, just a better option for you.

because I'm pretty sure you'd complain if Biden said he was going to mandate people wear face shields (instead of masks).
                    Well, of course. Because my objection was multi-fold. That's why I numbered them.

Comment

Why?

The US is not New York. There are vast portions of the country where it would be stupid to wear masks. I

It's been said that inside every liberal is a totalitarian struggling to get out. Biden's puppet masters are such people.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                        Even if Trump is working hard on it I don't think he'll lose the election. It is very rare that a US president fails to win the second term.
                        It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few months. As I've said, the left keeps handing Trump winning issues on silver platters, and he POOPS on them.

I have never seen anything quite like it.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I remember Jimmy Carter and George HW Bush. Carter was just incompetent, and Bush promised "read my lips, no new taxes," and "if it walks like a duck...,." Problem was too many people read his lips when he raised taxes as soon as he got elected.

Trump has done a lot of good in the past four years, but I have serious issues, with his mouth in particular. And I think many other conservatives do.
                          When I Survey....

Comment

Then there's Gerald Ford, who was never elected in the first place.

And LBJ, who was a candidate for re-election, but announced that he would neither seek nor accept the nomination of his party as a presidential candidate.
                            When I Survey....

Comment

I think you may be right, but for theological reasons, certainly nothing of his own doing.

Comment