Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Russian Bounty on U.S. military in Afghanistan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Just as soon as he's done with his psychotic goofy "RUSSIA! RUSSIA! RUSSIA!" rant.
    I think one of the most cowardly things any American can do is accuse somebody else of not being a patriot just because they don't think like you do.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
      What are the AP and NBC's sources, the same as the NYT's anonymous source, did they get a name to their source or are they getting it from the NYT's themselves. you did not link to the AP or NBC articles so that we could check if
      1. they even provide sources
      2. and if those sources can be checked.
      Please rectify your mistake and link to the 2 articles.
      Because you asked politely here's the AP link https://apnews.com/425e43fa0ffdd6e126c5171653ec47d1.

trump treason.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
        Because you asked politely here's the AP link https://apnews.com/425e43fa0ffdd6e126c5171653ec47d1.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46161[/ATTACH]
        just as I thought anonymous sources probably the same ones that gave this to the NYT's sorry Divine ob the AP did not confirm it they just repeated it or got it from the same anonymous sources. this is why I do not just do a blanket acceptance of any news source including those I find more reliable then a certain gossip rag, because they make sure they have checked the facts thoroughly rather then just accept anonymous sources. and the NYTs who have been proven to be wrong time and again. I am not in to confirming my bias I want the facts.
        Last edited by RumTumTugger; 06-30-2020, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• Something I mentioned earlier:

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          The most troubling aspect of this story is that seditious persons in the administration are still leaking classified information to the media.
          It seems the White House is taking this very seriously:

"The front page of the New York Times is not the venue for discussing classified information. The White House podium is not the venue for discussing classified information. We are here today having this discussing because of an irresponsible, anonymous leak to the New York Times," she said. "There is no good scenario as a result of this New York Times report. Who's going to want to cooperate with the United States intelligence community? Who's going to want to be a source? Or an asset if they know their identity could be disclosed. Which allies will want to share information with us if they know some rogue intelligence officer can go splash that information on the front page of a major U.S. newspaper."

McEnany went on to argue the leak makes it nearly impossible to get to the bottom of the intelligence and come to a consensus about whether the Russian/Taliban allegations were true. She reiterated President Trump was not previously briefed on the information because there wasn't consensus within a number of spy agencies about whether the intelligence was true.

"This level of controversy and discord plays directly into the hands of Russia and unfortunately serves their interests," she continued. "We have seen targeted leaks of classified information against this President and it is irresponsible. Phone calls with foreign leaders, meetings with government officials and now reports of alleged intelligence. Make no mistake, this damages our ability as a nation to collect intelligence. As the National Security Council noted just yesterday, to those government officials who betray the people of the United States by leaking classified information, your actions engager national security."

McEnany indicated criminal investigations will be launched to hold recent leakers accountable.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...ility-n2571644

I hope they catch the scumbag.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
            just as I thought anonymous sources probably the same ones that gave this to the NYT's sorry Divine ob the AP did not confirm it they just repeated it or got it from the same anonymous sources. this is why I do not just do a blanket acceptance of any news source including those I find more reliable then a certain gossip rag, because they make sure they have checked the facts thoroughly rather then just accept anonymous sources. and the NYTs who have been proven to be wrong time and again. I am not in to confirming my bias I want the facts.
            If two news sources speak to the same anonymous source and each make the independent judgement call that that source is credible then that is meaningful (how meaningful is determined by the background reliability of that news source of course). Pretending that journalists are just a rubber stamp is pathetic and betrays how easily you swallow your preferred brand of nonsense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              I hope they catch the scumbag.
              Putting National Security at risk is well worth it to the OrangeManBad crowd. I'm sure that's an act of patriotism somehow.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If two news sources speak to the same anonymous source and each make the independent judgement call that that source is credible then that is meaningful (how meaningful is determined by the background reliability of that news source of course). Pretending that journalists are just a rubber stamp is pathetic and betrays how easily you swallow your preferred brand of nonsense.
                No, it has LONG been a journalistic standard to INDEPENDENTLY verify a story. Multiple reliable sources, not just repeating the same thing somebody else said. That's what gossips do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  No, it has LONG been a journalistic standard to INDEPENDENTLY verify a story. Multiple reliable sources, not just repeating the same thing somebody else said. That's what gossips do.
                  Yes, that's what I said.

Comment

Putting National Security at risk is well worth it to the OrangeManBad crowd. I'm sure that's an act of patriotism somehow.
                    When you make it clear that whistleblowers will be hunted down and punished then there no longer exists "proper channels" by which to report misconduct.

Many, *MANY* on this board took utter glee in making sure the UKR whistleblower found no safe harbor. This is what happens when that happens.

Comment

When you make it clear that whistleblowers will be hunted down and punished then there no longer exists "proper channels" by which to report misconduct.
                      Well, hey, maybe they can just keep things quiet instead of testifying to Congress, and write a TELL ALL BOOK FOR MONEY, eh? WAY more patriotic!

Comment

...Multiple reliable sources....
                        Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                        Yes, that's what I said.
                        Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                        ...the same anonymous source....
                        Can anybody help patriotboy see the difference here?

Comment

Well, hey, maybe they can just keep things quiet instead of testifying to Congress, and write a TELL ALL BOOK FOR MONEY, eh? WAY more patriotic!
                          Unless you know something I don't know I don't see why you keep bringing Bolton up.

Comment

Unless you know something I don't know I don't see why you keep bringing Bolton up.
                            There's LOTS I know that you don't know.

Comment

Can anybody help patriotboy see the difference here?
                              Help me out with this sentence then. As specifically as you can, what does this mean

Multiple reliable sources, not just repeating the same thing somebody else said. That's what gossips do.

Comment

You just don't know what you're talking about. Sorry if that sounds 'elitist' or whatever. There is a difference between reporting what another source has reported and independently reporting the same story. I have pointed out this distinction to you several times and you still don't seem to understand it. Out of my hands at this point.
                                Sorry if I am sounding 'elitist', but I worked as a reporter for a newspaper for four years. So I know something about the business.

Ok, well, what about their reporting on the bounty story?
                                I haven't read any of it yet, but MM is indicating the same sources are apparently being used. So no, that's not confirmation - unless the confirmation is that they are speaking to same unnamed people and they are saying the same thing to various reporters.

Comment