Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Russian Bounty on U.S. military in Afghanistan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    "Every named source speaking on the record, including our Commander in Chief, says that the veracity remains undetermined."
    President Trump: "Intel just reported to me that they did not find this info credible..."
    The so-called president is a liar and has no credibility, on the record or off. 0/1

Funny, that doesn't actually say that the veracity remains unverified. 0/2

Neither does that. 0/3

You got one. 1/3

Every white house press secretary in the history of the position has been nothing more than a mouthpiece for the president, but we've already heard from the orange messiah, so this doesn't count. 1/4.

---

Here's the more-accurate version of your claim: 20% of the named sources speaking on the record, credible and otherwise, say that the veracity remains undetermined.

---

It should be noted that any president or military commander who waited until all information was 100% verified and infallible before acting would have been in dereliction of their duties.
    Last edited by Whateverman; 07-01-2020, 10:01 PM.

Comment

• The Taliban bag man has been ID'd

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/w...e=articleShare

Now Rahmatullah Azizi stands as a central piece of a puzzle rocking Washington, named in American intelligence reports and confirmed by Afghan officials as a key middleman who for years handed out money from a Russian military intelligence unit to reward Taliban-linked fighters for targeting American troops in Afghanistan, according to American and Afghan officials.

Details of Mr. Azizi’s role in the bounty scheme were confirmed through a dozen interviews that included U.S. and Afghan officials aware of the intelligence and the raids that led to it; his neighbors and friends; and business associates of the middle men arrested on suspicion of involvement. All spoke on condition of anonymity to avoid retaliation.

U.S. intelligence reports named Mr. Azizi as a key middleman between the G.R.U. and militants linked to the Taliban who carried out the attacks. He was among those who collected the cash in Russia, which intelligence files described as multiple payments of “hundreds of thousands of dollars.” Those files were among the materials provided to Congress this week.

You'd think Trump/Pence/Pompeo would get the PDB from February 27th over to Schiff and ask him to certify that no mention of the bounties appears therein. Or declassify a sufficiently redacted version. Why *wouldn't* you do that if it would clear your name and embarrass your enemies?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Did you already post....

National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien on Wednesday claimed that President Trump’s CIA briefer made the call not to share with him the intelligence referencing Russia allegedly offering bounties to Afghan militants for killing U.S. soldiers.

“The president was not briefed because, at the time of these allegations, they were uncorroborated,” O’Brien said, noting that the Pentagon also has said the intelligence was uncorroborated.

“The intelligence community doesn’t have a consensus,” O’Brien continued. “And as a result, the president’s career CIA briefer decided not to brief him because it was unverified intelligence.”

The CIA briefer O’Brien was referring to would have been Beth Sanner, who was the president’s primary intelligence briefer during the time in question when the Russia bounty intelligence emerged. Sanner was appointed as the deputy director of National Intelligence for Mission Integration last year. Sanner had been leading the president’s daily intelligence briefing since April 2017.

O’Brien defended Sanner as “an outstanding officer.”
        Funny how every source speaking on the record contradicts the "sources say" fake news.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
          The so-called president is a liar and has no credibility, on the record or off. 0/1

Funny, that doesn't actually say that the veracity remains unverified. 0/2

Neither does that. 0/3

You got one. 1/3

Every white house press secretary in the history of the position has been nothing more than a mouthpiece for the president, but we've already heard from the orange messiah, so this doesn't count. 1/4.

---

Here's the more-accurate version of your claim: 20% of the named sources speaking on the record, credible and otherwise, say that the veracity remains undetermined.

---

It should be noted that any president or military commander who waited until all information was 100% verified and infallible before acting would have been in dereliction of their duties.
          Man, is your reading comprehension really that bad?

Trump says it's unverified. Grenell refers to it as "partial information", meaning it's unverified. Kinzinger mentioned "conflicts" in the information and that it's not "cut and dry", meaning it's not verified. You conceded Stewart. Your insisting that an official statement from the White House press secretary "doesn't count" is stupid. And now Cow Poke had posted more sources speaking on the record saying the intel is unverified.

So... yeah...

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
            The Taliban bag man has been ID'd

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/w...e=articleShare

Now Rahmatullah Azizi stands as a central piece of a puzzle rocking Washington, named in American intelligence reports and confirmed by Afghan officials as a key middleman who for years handed out money from a Russian military intelligence unit to reward Taliban-linked fighters for targeting American troops in Afghanistan, according to American and Afghan officials.

Details of Mr. Azizi’s role in the bounty scheme were confirmed through a dozen interviews that included U.S. and Afghan officials aware of the intelligence and the raids that led to it; his neighbors and friends; and business associates of the middle men arrested on suspicion of involvement. All spoke on condition of anonymity to avoid retaliation.

U.S. intelligence reports named Mr. Azizi as a key middleman between the G.R.U. and militants linked to the Taliban who carried out the attacks. He was among those who collected the cash in Russia, which intelligence files described as multiple payments of “hundreds of thousands of dollars.” Those files were among the materials provided to Congress this week.

You'd think Trump/Pence/Pompeo would get the PDB from February 27th over to Schiff and ask him to certify that no mention of the bounties appears therein. Or declassify a sufficiently redacted version. Why *wouldn't* you do that if it would clear your name and embarrass your enemies?
            "All spoke on condition of anonymity..."

I can't believe you keep falling for this!

Comment

"All spoke on condition of anonymity..."

I can't believe you keep falling for this!
              What did your god say? Trump on the up-and-up? Why doesn't Trump clear his name since it would be trivial to do? Is he too busy getting outraised in Q2 by Biden?

Comment

Man, is your reading comprehension really that bad?

Trump says it's unverified.
                Trump says a lot of things. 0/1

Grenell refers to it as "partial information", meaning it's unverified.
                False. 0/2.

Kinzinger mentioned "conflicts" in the information and that it's not "cut and dry", meaning it's not verified.
                False. 0/3

You conceded Stewart.
                Correct. 1/3

Your insisting that an official statement from the White House press secretary "doesn't count" is stupid.
                The white house press secretary simply speaks for the so-called president, so you can't list both as different officials.

1/4

20%

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                  Trump says a lot of things. 0/1

False. 0/2.

False. 0/3

Correct. 1/3

The white house press secretary simply speaks for the so-called president, so you can't list both as different officials.

1/4

20%
                  Your post reminds me of the old joke about the guy who writes in the margin of his speech notes, "Weak point; yell louder."

Comment

• Maybe the NEXT "scandal"?
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Maybe the NEXT "scandal"?
                      Did you hear that Trump takes two scoops of ice cream while only giving his journalist guests one scoop?

Comment

• So now, Nutty Nancy is bemoaning the 'fact' that this SHOULD have come to the President's attention, because it involved the deaths of young soldiers....

Sounds like a tacit admission that Trump was NOT briefed.

Another one bites the dust.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So now, Nutty Nancy is bemoaning the 'fact' that this SHOULD have come to the President's attention, because it involved the deaths of young soldiers....

Sounds like a tacit admission that Trump was NOT briefed.

Another one bites the dust.
                          As pointed out earlier, this exact same information would have been available to her and Shifty Adam Schiff, and yet they didn't know about it, either, so I'm not exactly sure who they're trying to point the finger at.

Comment

As pointed out earlier, this exact same information would have been available to her and Shifty Adam Schiff, and yet they didn't know about it, either, so I'm not exactly sure who they're trying to point the finger at.
                            OrangeManBad, whatever it takes.

Comment

• This has nothing to do with Orangemanbad. Even the most charitable interpretation of events says

1) The president ignored his PDB when the bounties were referenced
                              2) The president continues to ignore the bounties now that the intel is solid (it's still solid but it used to too).
                              3) We already have Republicans on record lying about this intel. Why might one lie about intel when the supposed truth (low quality intel which was not yet actionable) would have done wonders to dispel the scandal?

This is the same story -- if you can find a single detail which doesn't fit (and I have never hung my hat on Trump having had an explicit oral briefing about this) it dispels the entire scandal. Not true.

ETA: I mean, consider that Trump asked for Russia to be added back to the G7. You're saying he didn't double check that there was any intel which might argue against that move before making the request? At what point does "should have known" factor into the picture?
                              Last edited by DivineOb; 07-02-2020, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Can you back up this statement that the intel would have already been available to them? What are these three briefings this week about if they already have all the info?

Comment