Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Russian Bounty on U.S. military in Afghanistan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Like you really know whether or not it's possible.
    How do you think Pelosi / Schumer and their staffs were eliminated as possible sources of the leaks, given that they had (according to you) full access to the intel?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I just did. I said if this was a credible threat then Pelosi et al were just as GUILTY AS TRUMP.

Personally I don't think this was a credible threat. I think it was rumor that they cannot confirm.
      If Pelosi et al were already informed of this intel then why, when this became a public story recently did the administration invite both republicans and democrats to the White House to be briefed? And still they were not briefed since the administration, not the intel agencies, gave the briefing. They are still waiting to hear from the heads of the intel agencies.
      Last edited by JimL; 07-07-2020, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
        Ok, well you know what the leaks claim. What sources and methods do you think were revealed by the allegedly false leaks?
        Already answered: it reveals specifically who we're monitoring and specifically what info we're able to glean. In this case, we have this piece of info, but we can't verify it, but neither, apparently, can we definitively refute it. Now the Russian government is saying, "Ah, so that's how far the US intelligence agencies can reach. Good to know."

Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
        How do you think Pelosi / Schumer and their staffs were eliminated as possible sources of the leaks, given that they had (according to you) full access to the intel?
        When did I say their staffs had full access? Classified info is generally tightly controlled and limited to "need to know" personnel. It's not at all implausible that Barr and his minions could have quickly narrowed the possible suspects.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          And speaking of NAMED sources....

Top general has doubts Russian bounty program killed US troops in Afghanistan

Marine Corps commandant: Bounty claims ‘were news to me’

The top U.S. general in the Middle East said Tuesday he was aware of the intelligence of a Russian bounty program targeting U.S. troops in Afghanistan, but while he said he found it “worrisome,” he said he did not believe it was tied to actual U.S. military deaths on the battlefield.

“I found it very worrisome, I just didn't find that there was a causative link there," Gen. Kenneth McKenzie, the commander of U.S. Central Command, said in an interview with a small number of reporters.

‘The intel (intelligence) case wasn't proved to me -- it wasn't proved enough that I'd take it to a court of law -- and you know that's often true in battlefield intelligence,” said McKenzie.

“You see a lot of indicators, many of them are troubling many of them you act on. But, but in this case there just there wasn't enough there I sent the intelligence guys back to continue to dig on it, and I believe they're continuing to dig right now, but I just didn't see enough there to tell me that the circuit was closed in that regard.”

He added that force protection levels in Afghanistan are always high “whether the Russians are paying the Taliban or not." McKenzie said the insurgent group has always focused its attacks on U.S. forces in Afghanistan, though that has ceased under the current U.S. peace agreement with the Taliban.

“Over the past several years, the Taliban have done their level best to carry out operations against us, so nothing is practically changed on the ground in terms of force protection, because we have a very high force protection standard now, and that force protection standard's going to continue into the future,” said McKenzie.

Pretty much what I've been saying all along, and, as JimL would say - he AGREES with me!
          The fact that Gen. McKenzie was aware of the intel is enough, that it wasn't proven to the level where he would take it to a court of law is irrelevant. He's acknowledging that the intel existed, that he was aware of it and Trump did zilch about it. Did he warn the Russians? Nope. Did he threaten them with further sanctions if the intel was confirmed? Nope. What he did do was to invite them back into the G-7 and removed 10,000 troops from Germany, probably at the request, or demand, of Putin.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
            The fact that Gen. McKenzie was aware of the intel is enough, that it wasn't proven to the level where he would take it to a court of law is irrelevant. He's acknowledging that the intel existed, that he was aware of it and Trump did zilch about it. Did he warn the Russians? Nope. Did he threaten them with further sanctions if the intel was confirmed? Nope. What he did do was to invite them back into the G-7 and removed 10,000 troops from Germany, probably at the request, or demand, of Putin.
            Now THAT's what I call selective reading! The SENIOR MILITARY guy knew the Taliban hated us and wanted to kill us, and states that "the Taliban have done their level best to carry out operations against us, so nothing is practically changed on the ground in terms of force protection, because we have a very high force protection standard now, and that force protection standard's going to continue into the future,” said McKenzie.

He also said he "did not believe it was tied to actual U.S. military deaths on the battlefield". Got that?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Now THAT's what I call selective reading! The SENIOR MILITARY guy knew the Taliban hated us and wanted to kill us, and states that "the Taliban have done their level best to carry out operations against us, so nothing is practically changed on the ground in terms of force protection, because we have a very high force protection standard now, and that force protection standard's going to continue into the future,” said McKenzie.

He also said he "did not believe it was tied to actual U.S. military deaths on the battlefield". Got that?
              He also said "The intel case wasn't proved to me" and that "there wasn't enough there" to act on.

Which is consistent with what we've heard from every other source who has put his name on the record.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

He also said "The intel case wasn't proved to me" and that "there wasn't enough there" to act on.

Which is consistent with what we've heard from every other source who has put his name on the record.
                But the Doom-and-Gloomers will continue to beat this horse in hopes it gets up and runs like the wind.

Hey --- channeling Hillary.... "What difference at this point does it make?”
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

He also said

"We should always remember the Russians are not our friends, they are not our friends and they are not our friends in Afghanistan and they do not wish us well," said McKenzie. "And we just need to remember that at all times, when we evaluate that intelligence."

But I guess that's not helpful to your "Let's get them back in G7" cheerleading.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                    He also said

"We should always remember the Russians are not our friends, they are not our friends and they are not our friends in Afghanistan and they do not wish us well," said McKenzie. "And we just need to remember that at all times, when we evaluate that intelligence."

YES!!!!! What me and MM (my best buddy in all the world) have been saying all along! It is ZERO surprise that Russia could pay bounties to the Taliban, but the Taliban already HATED us, and wanted (wants) our troops dead!

But, hey.... flog on!!!

Comment

YES!!!!! What me and MM (my best buddy in all the world) have been saying all along! It is ZERO surprise that Russia could pay bounties to the Taliban, but the Taliban already HATED us, and wanted (wants) our troops dead!

But, hey.... flog on!!!
                      I don't know what possesses you to think I will forget that the issue is Trump rewarding Russia after this information was made available to him. Honestly it's just gross to see you carry on like this.

Comment

I don't know what possesses you to think I will forget that the issue is Trump rewarding Russia after this information was made available to him.
                        You're all over the place on this --- it's just another OrangeManBad rant.
                        You're making it sound like Trump specifically decided to "REWARD" Putin for the alleged bounties. That's a steaming load of cat poop.

Honestly it's just gross to see you carry on like this.
                        Yeah, about being gross..... you wanna go THERE again?

Comment

Everyone knows the Taliban were out to kill US military, that goes without saying, we were at war, but this Russian bounty scheme was timed to be carried out during peace negotiations.
                          "He" the General, does not believe it was tied to actual US military killings. But "he" does not know that either, and neither does the intelligence with certainty confirm it, but the intel does confirm the Russian bounty scheme, i.e. that the Russians were paying $100,000 to kill Americans, and that is what matters and Trump just ignored it.

Comment

You're all over the place on this --- it's just another OrangeManBad rant.
                            You're making it sound like Trump specifically decided to "REWARD" Putin for the alleged bounties. That's a steaming load of cat poop.
                            No, that's just what you're pretending I'm saying (I've already clarified this explicitly in an earlier post so I have to assume you're being intentional). I'm pointing out that after this information was made available to Trump he chose to reward Russia. Simple as that. Failing to avail himself of this information before offering the extremely coveted G7 position is just a scandal of a different sort.

Yeah, about being gross..... you wanna go THERE again?
                            I'm not a pastor, smart guy.
                            Last edited by DivineOb; 07-07-2020, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              Everyone knows the Taliban were out to kill US military, that goes without saying, we were at war,
                              AMEN, brother!!!

but this Russian bounty scheme was timed to be carried out during peace negotiations.
                              This ALLEGED bounty scheme....

"He" the General, does not believe it was tied to actual US military killings.
                              Yes, the TOP MILITARY EXPERT in the region.

But "he" does not know that either, and neither does the intelligence with certainty confirm it,....
                              EGGzackly.... You're finally getting it!!!!

But, the rest of your post is just OrangeManBad wishful thinking, so... Gosh, golly, I want SO BADLY to blame Trump!!!!

Comment

No, that's just what you're pretending
                                There you go with that dumb PRETENDING crap! You're just trying to get me to say that word I'm trying not to say anymore!

I'm saying (I've already clarified this explicitly in an earlier post so I have to assume you're being intentional). I'm pointing out that after this information was made available to Trump he chose to reward Russia. Simple as that. Failing to avail himself of this information before offering the extremely coveted G7 position is just a scandal of a different sort.
                                JimL did a good job of splainin' it in his last post.

I'm not a pastor, smart guy.
                                Praise be!

Comment