Page 19 of 75 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian Bounty on U.S. military in Afghanistan.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineBoob View Post
    The Russian bounties story was included in the PDB.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/29/polit...ing/index.html

The intelligence that assessed there was an effort by a Russian military intelligence unit to pay the Taliban to kill US soldiers was included in one of President Donald Trump's daily briefings on intelligence matters sometime in the spring, according to a US official with direct knowledge of the latest information.
    That assessment, the source said, was backed up by "several pieces of information" that supported the view that there was an effort by the Russian intelligence unit -- the GRU -- to pay bounties to kill US soldiers, including interrogation of Taliban detainees and electronic eavesdropping. The source said there was some other information that did not corroborate this view but said, nonetheless, '"This was a big deal. When it's about US troops you go after it 100%, with everything you got."

So now one needs to ask why Trump, Pence, Ratcliffe and Grenell lied.
    "Sources say..."

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me a hundred times with the exact same ruse, I'm probably a liberal moron.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

2. Amen Darth Executor amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    It wasn't my article, it was FOX News reporting an official statement from the White House saying that both Republican and Democrat congressmen will be briefed. You conceded this point.
    Hey idiot, this is what your article said

The press secretary said the White House had invited eight members of Congress from both parties to be briefed on the situation Monday afternoon.

That is false.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hey idiot, this is what your article said

The press secretary said the White House had invited eight members of Congress from both parties to be briefed on the situation Monday afternoon.

That is false.
    How is it false? He's briefing eight members from each party. You conceded this yourself. Are you trying to backpedal?

As I read the sentence, the invite was sent out on Monday, it doesn't say the briefing was necessarily happening on Monday. For Democrats, it's happening tomorrow.

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by [Neil
    Patrick [Harris];756689]How is it false? He's briefing eight members from each party. You conceded this yourself. Are you trying to backpedal?

As I read the sentence, the invite was sent out on Monday, it doesn't say the briefing was necessarily happening on Monday. For Democrats, it's happening tomorrow.
    Sure thing "Christian."

Are you saying FNC editors can't identify a dangling modifier when they see one? I *suck* at English and I can see it.
    Last edited by DivineOb; 06-29-2020 at 06:48 PM.

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/29/u...?smid=tw-share

American officials provided a written briefing in late February to President Trump laying out their conclusion that a Russian military intelligence unit offered and paid bounties to Taliban-linked militants to kill U.S. and coalition troops in Afghanistan, two officials familiar with the matter said.

The investigation into the suspected Russian covert operation to incentivize such killings has focused in part on an April 2019 car bombing that killed three Marines as one such potential attack, according to multiple officials familiar with the matter.

The new information emerged as the White House tried on Monday to play down the intelligence assessment that Russia sought to encourage and reward killings — including reiterating a claim that Mr. Trump was never briefed about the matter and portraying the conclusion as disputed and dubious.

This is going to keep getting uglier.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/29/u...?smid=tw-share

American officials provided a written briefing in late February to President Trump laying out their conclusion that a Russian military intelligence unit offered and paid bounties to Taliban-linked militants to kill U.S. and coalition troops in Afghanistan, two officials familiar with the matter said.

The investigation into the suspected Russian covert operation to incentivize such killings has focused in part on an April 2019 car bombing that killed three Marines as one such potential attack, according to multiple officials familiar with the matter.

The new information emerged as the White House tried on Monday to play down the intelligence assessment that Russia sought to encourage and reward killings — including reiterating a claim that Mr. Trump was never briefed about the matter and portraying the conclusion as disputed and dubious.

This is going to keep getting uglier.
    Allow me to summarize:

... two officials familiar with the matter said...

... according to multiple officials familiar with the matter ...

Still waiting for someone with a name to step forward and put their reputation on the allegations.

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Republican Senators signalling that this scandal has legs.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-russia-345160

Senate Republicans are vowing to get to the bottom of bombshell reports that Russia offered bounties to Afghan militants for targeted killings of U.S. troops overseas — and suggesting that retaliation against Moscow may be in order.

Key committee chairs made clear on Monday that they will press the White House for answers about the intelligence assessments, and GOP senators pushed President Donald Trump to exact severe punishments on the Kremlin if the claims are true — even as the president asserts that he was never briefed on the matter.

“I want to understand how it’s conceivably possible that the president didn’t know. How does that possibly happen?” Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) said. “Number two, what is their plan to make sure that our enemies know that if you target American servicemen and women, the consequences are going to be draconian? And right now, I want to hear their plan for Taliban and GRU agents in body bags.” GRU refers to Russia’s military intelligence agency.

Senators have already proposed harsh repercussions, including imposing new sanctions and designating Moscow as a state sponsor of terrorism — a step the Trump administration has thus far refused to take.

Republicans only do the right thing if it makes their re-election more likely so this scandal must be pretty bad to risk openly defying Russian asset Trump.
    Last edited by DivineOb; 06-29-2020 at 08:10 PM.

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronson View Post
    Allow me to summarize:

... two officials familiar with the matter said...

... according to multiple officials familiar with the matter ...

Still waiting for someone with a name to step forward and put their reputation on the allegations.
    These aren't names but the sources in that article are getting awfully specific

One of the officials said the item appeared in Mr. Trump’s brief in late February; the other cited Feb. 27, specifically.

Moreover, a description of the intelligence assessment that the Russian unit had carried out the bounties plot was also seen as serious and solid enough to disseminate more broadly across the intelligence community in a May 4 article in the C.I.A.’s World Intelligence Review, a classified compendium commonly referred to as The Wire, two officials said.

If you think this and the other leaks about Trump's phone calls with leaders is more than the very tip of the iceberg I've got an entirely fair and above board 2016 election to sell you.
    Last edited by DivineOb; 06-29-2020 at 08:31 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Are you saying FNC editors can't identify a dangling modifier when they see one?
    A lot of news organizations tend to be sloppy in their rush to get a story out before the competition.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    These aren't names but the sources in that article are getting awfully specific

One of the officials said the item appeared in Mr. Trump’s brief in late February; the other cited Feb. 27, specifically.

Moreover, a description of the intelligence assessment that the Russian unit had carried out the bounties plot was also seen as serious and solid enough to disseminate more broadly across the intelligence community in a May 4 article in the C.I.A.’s World Intelligence Review, a classified compendium commonly referred to as The Wire, two officials said.

If you think this and the other leaks about Trump's phone calls with leaders is more than the very tip of the iceberg I've got an entirely fair and above board 2016 election to sell you.
    More unconfirmed "sources say" rumormongering. Seriously, how dumb do you have to be to keep falling for this?