Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Russian Bounty on U.S. military in Afghanistan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Bounty on U.S. military in Afghanistan.

Russia paid bounty to Taliban to kill US soldiers as well as NATO ally soldiers in Afghanistan according to U.S.Intelligence. Trump was briefed on this in March and given a list of responses such as sanctions. Trumps only response thus far was to plead for Russia's re-entry into the G-7.

http://www.newsmax.com/us/russia-afg.../26/id/974430/

Get out of Afghanistan. It's a no-brainer, though I doubt that will happen even under Biden.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Russia paid bounty to Taliban to kill US soldiers as well as NATO ally soldiers in Afghanistan according to U.S.Intelligence. Trump was briefed on this in March and given a list of responses such as sanctions. Trumps only response thus far was to plead for Russia's re-entry into the G-7.

http://www.newsmax.com/us/russia-afg.../26/id/974430/
      A) Good call on citing a conservative news source here

B) On some level, the practice doesn't surprise me. I'd expect things like this to happen, and everyone knows that US intelligence agencies like the CIA have done the same thing in foreign wars.

C) What's the most upsetting about the story, obviously, is Trump's response to the report. Imagine what would have happened if the same story emerged while Obama was in office - and yet Trump supporters are going to dismiss this as NBD. While the POTUS has a lot of power, in many ways he's just a figurehead - which means his job is primarily to be a visible leader. The POTUS should spearhead patriotism, and visibly defend this country's military. He did and said nothing, which is beyond offensive. It's down right unAmerican.
      Last edited by Whateverman; 06-27-2020, 11:55 AM.

Comment

"...The New York Times reported Friday."

The NYT referencing unnamed sources isn't terribly impressive. It may be true, or partially true, or complete baloney. It's usually in the "partially" true category.

Until a legitimate source puts some verification on this, I won't get too nervous about it.

Comment

It just occurred to me that I have a set of those Russian nesting doll things.

I must be a Russian agent.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

We already know that Trump is totally disloyal to the United States. I just had no idea how many Republicans were equally disloyal. There is no bottom.

Comment

Rachel was telling me about this earlier today. I think he’s on Putin’s fishing hook because he is involved in Russian money laundering.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Like Ronson I'm a big 'eh' about this. Not enough meat, and even then it's no different than the dirty tactics done by any foreign intelligence.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  It just occurred to me that I have a set of those Russian nesting doll things.

I must be a Russian agent.
                  No, just the naive supporter of an agent.

Comment

No, just the naive supporter of an agent.
                    You just LOVE for me to post....

Stop Saying Stupid Stuff.gif
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      Rachel was telling me about this earlier today. I think he’s on Putin’s fishing hook because he is involved in Russian money laundering.
                      I've long thought that Trump needs Putin's favor somehow...

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                        Like Ronson I'm a big 'eh' about this. Not enough meat, and even then it's no different than the dirty tactics done by any foreign intelligence.
                        I read the original NYT article. Typical mish-mash of murky "facts" and speculation, attributed to anonymous sources. Historically these types of articles come back and bite them in the behind.

Here is my edit of the NYT article, leaving in the pertinent points:

Originally posted by New York Times
                        A Russian military intelligence unit secretly offered bounties to Taliban-linked militants for killing coalition forces in Afghanistan — including targeting American troops ... according to officials briefed on the matter.

... the officials said.

... the officials said.

Officials developed a menu of potential options ... the officials said.

The Kremlin had not been made aware of the accusations, said Dmitry Peskov, press secretary for President Vladimir Putin of Russia. “If someone makes them, we’ll respond,” Peskov said.

Zabihullah Mujahid, a spokesman for the Taliban, denied that the insurgents have “any such relations with any intelligence agency” and called the report an attempt to defame them.

“These kinds of deals with the Russian intelligence agency are baseless — our target killings and assassinations were ongoing in years before, and we did it on our own resources,” he said. “That changed after our deal with the Americans, and their lives are secure and we don’t attack them.”

Spokespeople at the National Security Council, the Pentagon, the State Department and the CIA declined to comment.

The officials familiar with the intelligence did not explain the White House delay in deciding how to respond to the intelligence about Russia.

The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the delicate intelligence and internal deliberations.

The intelligence assessment is said to be based at least in part on interrogations of captured Afghan militants and criminals...

The officials did not describe the mechanics of the Russian operation ...

It is also not clear whether Russian operatives had deployed inside Afghanistan or met with their Taliban counterparts elsewhere.

“We share some interests with Russia in Afghanistan, and clearly they’re acting to undermine our interests as well,” Gen. John W. Nicholson Jr., commander of American forces in Afghanistan at the time, said in a 2018 interview with the BBC.
                        The only quote from a named US official, from two years ago, and not related to this current charge.

Originally posted by New York Times
                        Some officials have theorized that the Russians may be seeking revenge on NATO forces for a 2018 battle in Syria ... But the motivation remains murky.

The officials briefed on the matter said...

Western intelligence officials say ...

American intelligence officials say ...

Russia declared the Taliban a terrorist organization in 2003 ...
                        Last edited by Ronson; 06-27-2020, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, barring pulling our troops out, what would the leftists in here suggest Trump do in this situation?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            Just out of curiosity, barring pulling our troops out, what would the leftists in here suggest Trump do in this situation?
                            Clearly, we should retaliate with fire and fury.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                              Clearly, we should retaliate with fire and fury.
                              And bluster?

Comment