Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian Bounty on U.S. military in Afghanistan.

Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    Rachel was telling me about this earlier today. I think he’s on Putin’s fishing hook because he is involved in Russian money laundering.
    I've long thought that Trump needs Putin's favor somehow...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Like Ronson I'm a big 'eh' about this. Not enough meat, and even then it's no different than the dirty tactics done by any foreign intelligence.
    I read the original NYT article. Typical mish-mash of murky "facts" and speculation, attributed to anonymous sources. Historically these types of articles come back and bite them in the behind.

Here is my edit of the NYT article, leaving in the pertinent points:

Quote Originally Posted by New York Times
    A Russian military intelligence unit secretly offered bounties to Taliban-linked militants for killing coalition forces in Afghanistan — including targeting American troops ... according to officials briefed on the matter.

... the officials said.

... the officials said.

Officials developed a menu of potential options ... the officials said.

The Kremlin had not been made aware of the accusations, said Dmitry Peskov, press secretary for President Vladimir Putin of Russia. “If someone makes them, we’ll respond,” Peskov said.

Zabihullah Mujahid, a spokesman for the Taliban, denied that the insurgents have “any such relations with any intelligence agency” and called the report an attempt to defame them.

“These kinds of deals with the Russian intelligence agency are baseless — our target killings and assassinations were ongoing in years before, and we did it on our own resources,” he said. “That changed after our deal with the Americans, and their lives are secure and we don’t attack them.”

Spokespeople at the National Security Council, the Pentagon, the State Department and the CIA declined to comment.

The officials familiar with the intelligence did not explain the White House delay in deciding how to respond to the intelligence about Russia.

The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the delicate intelligence and internal deliberations.

The intelligence assessment is said to be based at least in part on interrogations of captured Afghan militants and criminals...

The officials did not describe the mechanics of the Russian operation ...

It is also not clear whether Russian operatives had deployed inside Afghanistan or met with their Taliban counterparts elsewhere.

“We share some interests with Russia in Afghanistan, and clearly they’re acting to undermine our interests as well,” Gen. John W. Nicholson Jr., commander of American forces in Afghanistan at the time, said in a 2018 interview with the BBC.
    The only quote from a named US official, from two years ago, and not related to this current charge.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Times
    Some officials have theorized that the Russians may be seeking revenge on NATO forces for a 2018 battle in Syria ... But the motivation remains murky.

The officials briefed on the matter said...

Western intelligence officials say ...

American intelligence officials say ...

Russia declared the Taliban a terrorist organization in 2003 ...
    Last edited by Ronson; 06-27-2020 at 01:24 PM.

3. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Just out of curiosity, barring pulling our troops out, what would the leftists in here suggest Trump do in this situation?
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

5. Amen Cow Poke, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Just out of curiosity, barring pulling our troops out, what would the leftists in here suggest Trump do in this situation?
    Clearly, we should retaliate with fire and fury.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by whag View Post
    Clearly, we should retaliate with fire and fury.
    And bluster?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

8. Amen whag amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Another reason this whole thing makes no sense is because the Taliban were already targeting US forces - for decades. And now they aren't. Where exactly did the Ruskies slip in there to provide greater motivation toward a goal that was already in place? It would be like the US offering a bounty to Soviet soldiers to kill German soldiers during WWII. They were already doing that! DuH!

I'm also not convinced the Taliban is motivated by cash payments.

10. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Steps one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, and ten is not *reward* Russia by inviting Russia to rejoin the G7

Beyond that
    Impose sanctions
    Introduce evidence at the UN
    Publicize the information widely
    Introduce a statement of disapproval in Congress and get unanimous agreement
    Significantly increase material and symbolic support for UKR

I'm a Computer Scientist not an International Relations Scientist but those seem like pretty obvious steps.

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm not sure anything should be done. At most some public finger wagging at Russia? Or do you have something else in mind?

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronson View Post
    Another reason this whole thing makes no sense is because the Taliban were already targeting US forces - for decades. And now they aren't. Where exactly did the Ruskies slip in there to provide greater motivation toward a goal that was already in place? It would be like the US offering a bounty to Soviet soldiers to kill German soldiers during WWII. They were already doing that! DuH!

I'm also not convinced the Taliban is motivated by cash payments.
    The US was in peace talks with the Taliban at the time. This was Russias attempt to undermine that effort.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    I'm not sure anything should be done. At most some public finger wagging at Russia? Or do you have something else in mind?
    Like I said, pull out the troops, that's my stance. But that doesn't seem to be the sentiment of folks in here, so I want to know what Trump is doing wrong and what he should do? Threaten Russia with retaliation?
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).