Page 3 of 80 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian Bounty on U.S. military in Afghanistan.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    Steps one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, and ten is not *reward* Russia by inviting Russia to rejoin the G7

Beyond that
    Impose sanctions
    Introduce evidence at the UN
    Publicize the information widely
    Introduce a statement of disapproval in Congress and get unanimous agreement
    Significantly increase material and symbolic support for UKR

I'm a Computer Scientist not an International Relations Scientist but those seem like pretty obvious steps.
    We've imposed sanctions. They apparently don't work, or they just don't care , or they find ways around it. Most of what you've brought up seems pretty tame and thus would be ineffective.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Like I said, pull out the troops, that's my stance. But that doesn't seem to be the sentiment of folks in here, so I want to know what Trump is doing wrong and what he should do? Threaten Russia with retaliation?
    Eh, they can trade insults for all I care. Empty symbolical politics.

Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Just out of curiosity, barring pulling our troops out, what would the leftists in here suggest Trump do in this situation?
    I'm not a leftist but I'll respond:

Trump should have come out as the lead on this story, explained how it wont be tolerated, then listed sanctions he'll be asking congress to impose on Russia. Then he could have secretly implemented some kind of low-level / covert proportionate military response that we wouldn't have heard about until after he'd left office.

You know, like a competent president would have.
    Last edited by Whateverman; 06-27-2020 at 02:57 PM.

Banned
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    We've imposed sanctions. They apparently don't work, or they just don't care , or they find ways around it. Most of what you've brought up seems pretty tame and thus would be ineffective.
    1) You ignored the fact that Trump *rewarded* Russia after learning about their actions!
    2) You are wrong about the sanctions being ineffective. They were highly effective and are the only way we will get Putin out of power.
    3) You can call it 'tame' but at least it's *something*. Trump did *nothing* to punish Russia and actively *rewarded* them.

There is no line a Republican will not cross in order to fellate Putin. This incident is the proof.

5. Amen Whateverman amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well, you certainly don't reward them by supporting their return to the G-7. The opposite could have been done, i.e. he could have denounced Russia possible return to the G-7 for their actions. Russia was thrown out of the G-8 for invading Crimea, and now Trump defends their return to the G-7 as his only response to their paying the Taliban to kill Americans and US allies.
    Last edited by JimL; 06-27-2020 at 02:37 PM.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    1) You ignored the fact that Trump *rewarded* Russia after learning about their actions!
    2) You are wrong about the sanctions being ineffective. They were highly effective and are the only way we will get Putin out of power.
    3) You can call it 'tame' but at least it's *something*. Trump did *nothing* to punish Russia and actively *rewarded* them.

There is no line a Republican will not cross in order to fellate Putin. This incident is the proof.
    You're a bit unhinged. We've enacted sanctions on Russia since Obama, yet where are we now? If you think they'll work, okay cool. As to what Trump did or said, I haven't looked into it in detail because most of the time the left just lies about him or takes things he does say out of context. So by default, I naturally doubt anything the left claims Trump says or does. Maybe I'll look into it more if the occasion arises.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You're a bit unhinged. We've enacted sanctions on Russia since Obama, yet where are we now? If you think they'll work, okay cool. As to what Trump did or said, I haven't looked into it in detail because most of the time the left just lies about him or takes things he does say out of context. So by default, I naturally doubt anything the left claims Trump says or does. Maybe I'll look into it more if the occasion arises.
    Well, try if you will, to look more into what Trump is doing before you vote.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Well, try if you will, to look more into what Trump is doing before you vote.
    I didn't vote. I was just curious if there was anything y'all wanted Trump to do beyond what you claimed he said or did about the matter, that's all. More sanctions and telling UN that Putin is a really bad boy. Okay, got it.

Banned
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And that's why the Republican party is full of traitors. This is Trump's largest scandal *by far*, and one I struggle to imagine could be topped. Apathy towards this betrays it a fundamental disloyalty to the United States.

11. Amen Whateverman amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    The US was in peace talks with the Taliban at the time. This was Russias attempt to undermine that effort.
    I didn't see that in the NYT article. Only tons of speculation by unnamed people.