Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Recent poll: what do Americans think of Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    I've been Googling. Yeah, much nicer close up. I'd still be scared of the weather.
    Well, I was born here, so I guess I'm acclimatized.

I couldn't live in a desert or the US south.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      No. We want the conservative states.
      How about you just take the conservatives, and we'll even pay you to take Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        How about you just take the conservatives, and we'll even pay you to take Trump.
        You'll have to take Trudeau.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

He would probably love to have him! (interchange the he and hims)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Sure, and we'll still pay you to take Trump. But you'd better hurry, I think he might be off to Russia by January next.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Sure, and we'll still pay you to take Trump. But you'd better hurry, I think he might be off to Russia by January next.
              You suck all the fun out of every thread, Jim.

It's too bad you had to bring Trump up.

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
                I think you are being much too hard on our American friends. There are many ways in which the United States is superior to Canada.

For example, the United States has much nicer neighbours than Canada does...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well, I was born here, so I guess I'm acclimatized.

I couldn't live in a desert or the US south.
                  Considering that you say that when the temperature reaches 80 degrees Fahrenheit that you "melt"...

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You suck all the fun out of every thread, Jim.

It's too bad you had to bring Trump up.
                    He lives in his head rent free.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                      It's true! Our neighbors to the north are wonderful!
                      Believe it or not, 27 US states are fully or partially north of Canada. Heck, CALIFORNIA is north of Canada. Take a look at the following map:

Come to think of it, since all ten provinces are south of the United States, and 27 out of 50 states are North of Canada, the logical conclusion is that Canada is the United States' southern neighbour.
                      "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
                      "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

I'm feeling partly Canadian now. I know I can go North of the border without leaving my state.

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
                          Believe it or not, 27 US states are fully or partially north of Canada. Heck, CALIFORNIA is north of Canada. Take a look at the following map:

Come to think of it, since all ten provinces are south of the United States, and 27 out of 50 states are North of Canada, the logical conclusion is that Canada is the United States' southern neighbour.
                          That map is obviously distorted, probably a curvature of the earth effect --- it makes Alaska appear to be bigger than Texas.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            That map is obviously distorted, probably a curvature of the earth effect --- it makes Alaska appear to be bigger than Texas.
                            Yuh.

But it won't be when it melts.

Sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Correct.

The map uses the cylindrical mapping projection. For our purposes, this projection is handy because lines of latitude run straight east to west (for example, the 49th parallel is shown as a straight line, rather than as a curved line as on most maps).

In this map, the cartographer took the southern most point of Canada (the red dot on the map) and extended a line of latitude both east and west. This allows us to clearly show which states are fully or partially north of the southernmost point of Canada.

(I better stop talking now. I'm retired, but I spent my career working for the surveying and mapping branches of the Alberta and British Columbia governments. I don't want to start spewing forth info about mapping projections.)
                              Last edited by Reepicheep; 06-28-2020, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Yuh.

But it won't be when it melts.

Sorry!
                                Actually, Canada, Russia, Scandinavia, Greenland, and Alaska are going to be the big winners from global warming. When I compare Edmonton winters over the past thirty years, there is no doubt that, in general, Northern Alberta is getting warmer (paradoxically, the week long extremely cold winter cold snaps Alberta has had for the past few years are also apparently caused by global warming; go figure...).

Here's a trivia question for you. Juneau what the capital of Alaska is?

Comment