Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Retweeting Hate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    Really? Pelosi's gesture looks like she just said "You go to bed without your dinner, young man!" after her three-year-old great great great great grandson just drew a crayon picture on her walls.

Schumer looks to have both his arms folded, which is really weird when wearing a tight dress jacket. He probably ripped the seams in the back.
    Classic symbolism over substance.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      And they look so angry. I wouldn't want those two on any police force; they'd be hammering someone into compliance.

Comment

And they look so angry. I wouldn't want those two on any police force; they'd be hammering someone into compliance.
        Naw, they'd be wagging their fingers and tongues and flapping their gums. They're all talk.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Something we're treated to every time Trump gets in front of a microphone, but which only gets your attention when it's done every few months by a Democrat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
            Something we're treated to every time Trump gets in front of a microphone, but which only gets your attention when it's done every few months by a Democrat.
            A) Your accusation is not only false, but nutty
            2) He learned that when he was a Democrat.

Comment

USA Today --- Fact check: Yes, Kente cloths were historically worn by empire involved in West African slave trade

Our rating: True

We rate the claim that kente cloth was historically worn by the Asante people of Ghana, who were involved in the West African slave trade TRUE because it is supported by our research. Although kente cloth does have ties to slavery, it is more widely recognized as a modern symbol of pride in African American culture and pride in cultural ties to West Africa.

One of those little twists of History.
              I still have no clue how this applies. First, many slave traders also wore pants, shirts, and socks. Kente cloth is about as common to many African tribes as those things are to us. I know based on both research and personal experience. After we spent a week helping a village in Tanzania deploy sustainable water systems, the village gifted us robes of Kente cloth. For the elders of the village, it was their everyday garb. So, as a parallel, are we to associate anyone who wears pants, shirts, and socks with slavery?

And how on earth does that in any way relate to the person holding the office of "president" intentionally tweeting a video in which someone loudly and obviously pumps their fist and shouts "white power?"

The message here escapes me completely...
              Last edited by carpedm9587; 07-01-2020, 06:06 AM.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                As a matter of fact... Either underwear or nothing at all (and the latter for the last 35-40 years).

You claimed that what I said was duplicitous and only contained "some truth to it." Perhaps you would care to enlighten us by pointing out the parts that were inaccurate.
                Your remarks concerning Shumer and Pelosi were somewhat dishonest, given that you are not privy to their thinking and your own bias led you to your conclusions.

As to your source, no one denies that various African tribes enslaved one another but you might care to read some more erudite evaluations of the Akan peoples published in various journals, some of which may be accessed on JSTOR.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  By the left's own standards what pandering Pelosi and suck up Schumer did was blatant cultural appropriation done to exploit a situation for their personal benefit. But of course all of that doesn't count when a leftist does it.
                  Huh?!?!!?

Wearing cloths from the different cultures of the world is not cultural appropriation.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

USA Today --- Fact check: Yes, Kente cloths were historically worn by empire involved in West African slave trade

Our rating: True

We rate the claim that kente cloth was historically worn by the Asante people of Ghana, who were involved in the West African slave trade TRUE because it is supported by our research. Although kente cloth does have ties to slavery, it is more widely recognized as a modern symbol of pride in African American culture and pride in cultural ties to West Africa.

One of those little twists of History.
                    Please not bold. Historically many tribes were involved with slavery as other people of the world. Do we go around naked like our Emperor, because they including our culture were involved with slavery?
                    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      Huh?!?!!?

Wearing cloths from the different cultures of the world is not cultural appropriation.
                      Tell that to all the "My culture is not a costume" lunatics who pop up every Halloween.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Huh?!?!!?

Oh really

Then why was Katy Perry accused of cultural appropriation for wearing a kimono?

Then why was Kim Kardashian accused of cultural appropriation for sporting cornrows?

Then why was Gwen Stefani accused of cultural appropriation for sporting a bini?

Then why was Rihanna accused of cultural appropriation for dressing like a geisha?

Then why was Beyoncé accused of cultural appropriation for sporting Indian attire?

Moreover, what about the entire "My culture is not a costume" campaign that surfaces every Halloween (leading to some hilarious spoofs)?

You want to try that again?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                          I doubt that to be the case. Though I don't doubt he may want out, I doubt he'd use this incident to do it. He still wants to make money outside of politics and he still has a brand. I doubt he'd personally want to tarnish that brand by making the country think he's a white supremacist.
                          You'd think he'd want to say something, like it was a mistake.

All he has to do is keep doing what he's doing now: nothing strategically to attack Biden in any intelligent or coherent manner. The most logical conclusion is that he's a self-centered idiot. Like KG said, he either saw some folks defending him against protesters, liked that and quickly retweeted it without watching the whole thing or he didn't hear what the guy said.
                          That's my thought. I really never thought much of Trump as a person (I doubt anybody does) but he's applied the brakes to U.S. globalization and is trying to return U.S. troops from distant lands. I like that. Biden will do the opposite, so I dread that guy moving into office. But it seems inevitable at this point.

Comment

You'd think he'd want to say something, like it was a mistake.

That's my thought. I really never thought much of Trump as a person (I doubt anybody does) but he's applied the brakes to U.S. globalization and is trying to return U.S. troops from distant lands. I like that. Biden will do the opposite, so I dread that guy moving into office. But it seems inevitable at this point.
                            It frustrates me to no end that Trump has so many opportunities to attack Biden in a strategic and intelligent way, but doesn't do it, or does it in the most juvenile and petty way imaginable. But it is what is, and from a theological standpoint, I'm at peace with the election outcome.

Comment

Please not bold.

Your hypocrisy is showing again, Shuny.

Historically many tribes were involved with slavery as other people of the world. Do we go around naked like our Emperor, because they including our culture were involved with slavery?
                              Wow. I'm SO glad you're an "apologist" for "them".

Comment

If you recall, Political Correctness was getting WAY out of hand --- he kinda put the brakes on that, as well.

Comment