Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Retweeting Hate

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Just curious -- how does this relate to Sparko's post on brands vs business?
    It doesn't. I thought I had hit "reply" and I accidentally hit "reply with quote."
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    It doesn't. I thought I had hit "reply" and I accidentally hit "reply with quote."
    Laughing.

That happens!

I think we all agree with your post - just to what extent. Where does one draw the line. It has gotten CRAZY. I can't say "Master Bedroom" because... slavery?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Laughing.

That happens!

I think we all agree with your post - just to what extent. Where does one draw the line. It has gotten CRAZY. I can't say "Master Bedroom" because... slavery?

The terms "master" and "slave" are widely used to refer to something that controls something else, or something that belongs to the person that is the "master." They are terms that are, without question, related to slavery. I never gave it much thought, until I adopted two black sons and suddenly found myself uncomfortable using those terms as I had habitually used them. That was the first time I asked myself "I wonder if black people refer to it as "the master bedroom?" I asked, and it turns out that they overwhelmingly do not, specifically because of the rooting of the words. It took only a little effort on my part to replace "master" with "main" and "slave" with "dependent" or "subsidiary" or whatever other term was appropriate for the context. If it causes someone else discomfort, and the reason for the discomfort is a reasonable/meaningful one, why would I refuse to make the adjustment? Just to be spiteful? Because it's too much bother?
    Last edited by carpedm9587; 07-02-2020 at 06:45 AM.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The terms "master" and "slave" are widely used to refer to something that controls something else, or something that belongs to the person that is the "master."
    Yes, I'm well aware of that. Remember when computer hard drives were "master" and "slave" drives?

They are terms that are, without question, related to slavery.
    They also refer to the Lord of the Universe. Paul identifies himself (as do others) as "slaves to Christ".

I never gave it much thought, until I adopted two black sons and suddenly found myself uncomfortable using those terms as I had habitually used them. That was the first time I asked myself "I wonder if black people refer to it as "the master bedroom?" I asked, and it turns out that they overwhelmingly do not, specifically because of the rooting of the words.
    How can we have such incredibly opposite anecdotal experiences?

It took only a little effort on my part to replace "master" with "main" and "slave" with "dependent" or "subsidiary" or whatever other term was appropriate for the context. If it causes someone else discomfort, and the reason for the discomfort is a reasonable/meaningful one, why would I refuse to make the adjustment? Just to be spiteful?
    So, you honestly say "you can sleep in the dependent bedroom"? That's also derogatory --- it makes it sound like it's 'dependent' on a superior. I just say "the guest room". SO much more welcoming.

Why would I say "dependent bedroom", just to be placating?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A close friend of our family, who is black and involved with BLM, insists that nobody in the movement (obviously don't take "nobody" too literally, as we can see right here) actually cares about calling them master bedrooms and that focusing on that distracts from real issues like police reform.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    A close friend of our family, who is black and involved with BLM, insists that nobody in the movement (obviously don't take "nobody" too literally, as we can see right here) actually cares about calling them master bedrooms and that focusing on that distracts from real issues like police reform.
    Yeah, my associate pastor, who is black, scoffs at that, as does my "boss" at the mission, who is black, and my FORMER associate pastor... I literally (and I mean that in the literal sense ) got goosebumps when we would pray every Wednesday morning at 6 AM, and he would always begin his prayer, on his knees, by taking a deep breath, then saying in a very "servant" way "Master....."

I often told Pastor Rufus (my black associate pastor who is now living in Heaven) "Rufus, when you die, I want your voice". (He had such a deep wonderful powerful voice)

Yeah, we can really get nutty with the side issues.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes, I'm well aware of that. Remember when computer hard drives were "master" and "slave" drives?
    I do.

They also refer to the Lord of the Universe. Paul identifies himself (as do others) as "slaves to Christ".
    They do. The bible is a book written in a particular time - and slavery was common in that age and, AFAICT, not considered immoral by most

How can we have such incredibly opposite anecdotal experiences?
    If by this you mean you've asked and most said they DO use this language, then I can only speculate on the reason. I don't think locale is one of them because I have asked people all around the country (I used to travel extensively for my work). However, most of the people I asked knew I have black sons, so maybe that was a factor? Or maybe it's how the question was asked? Other than that, I have no clue.

So, you honestly say "you can sleep in the dependent bedroom"?
    Ummm... no. That sounds ridiculous. We have the main bedroom, or just "our bedroom." The rest are just bedrooms, or they are "Isaiah's bedroom" or "the guest room" or "the guest bedroom."

That's also derogatory --- it makes it sound like it's 'dependent' on a superior.
    "Dependency" is not derogatory. Children are dependent on their parents. A car pooler is dependent on the driver of the day. Dependency just reflects the condition of having to count on something or someone else for some aspect of life.

I just say "the guest room". SO much more welcoming.
    Agreed.

Why would I say "dependent bedroom", just to be placating?
    Why would you say "dependent bedroom" at all?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think we have to be careful not to toss anything we simply don't want to hear onto the "PC" scrap heap. Political correctness is a thing - and sometimes goes too far. But sometimes we DO have to look at the language we use, how it impacts those around us, how it reveals things about ourselves, and ask ourselves "should I make a change?" The words we choose say something about us. We can learn a lot about ourselves by taking a bit of time and reflecting on those choices.
    Um what? Are you responding to the correct post?

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Um what? Are you responding to the correct post?
    No - my post was intended to be a general post - and I hit "reply with quote" instead of "reply." Feel free to delete the quoted part - it was not my intention to include it and I cannot exclude it now because we are way past the 15-minute limit.

10. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If by this you mean you've asked and most said they DO use this language, then I can only speculate on the reason. I don't think locale is one of them because I have asked people all around the country (I used to travel extensively for my work). However, most of the people I asked knew I have black sons, so maybe that was a factor? Or maybe it's how the question was asked? Other than that, I have no clue.
    They don't care one way or the other - a master bedroom is a master bedroom, and we never say "the slave bedroom".

Ummm... no. That sounds ridiculous. We have the main bedroom, or just "our bedroom." The rest are just bedrooms, or they are "Isaiah's bedroom" or "the guest room" or "the guest bedroom."
    So, no "slave bedrooms".

"Dependency" is not derogatory. Children are dependent on their parents. A car pooler is dependent on the driver of the day. Dependency just reflects the condition of having to count on something or someone else for some aspect of life.
    What is the guest bedroom "dependent" upon? That just sounds nutty in that context. [ok, hold that thought.....]

Why would you say "dependent bedroom" at all?
    Because I misread your post?

Anyway, "master bedroom" does not imply in anyway that there is a "slave" bedroom. In fact, many new homes have TWO master suites!!!