Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Retweeting Hate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    If you recall, Political Correctness was getting WAY out of hand --- he kinda put the brakes on that, as well.
    Not really. He made fun of it and we loved it because he was openly saying things we were thinking... but slowed it down? I think PC has gotten WAY worse to the point where it's now creating a wave of censorship like we've never seen before and dictating the polices that corporations and governments enact like we haven't seen before.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
      Not really. He made fun of it and we loved it because he was openly saying things we were thinking... but slowed it down?
      For a time, I think, yes. It caught a lot of them off guard, because he didn't sing from their song sheet, and made them look ridiculous.

I think PC has gotten WAY worse to the point where it's now creating a wave of censorship like we've never seen before and dictating the polices that corporations and governments enact like we haven't seen before.
      Yes, after the initial shock that somebody would actually stand up to them, they've come back with a psychotic vengeance.

Sadly, it's kinda like putting a bandaid on a zit -- eventually, it's gotta pop.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If you recall, Political Correctness was getting WAY out of hand --- he kinda put the brakes on that, as well.
        Yes he did. Most conservatives ignore Political Correctness now. The Left still eats each other alive with that junk and it is amusing to watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          Yes he did. Most conservatives ignore Political Correctness now. The Left still eats each other alive with that junk and it is amusing to watch.
          It really is interesting how they come up with ... well... like the [other] Pharisees who kept coming up with laws with which even they, themselves, could not comply.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Not really. He made fun of it and we loved it because he was openly saying things we were thinking... but slowed it down? I think PC has gotten WAY worse to the point where it's now creating a wave of censorship like we've never seen before and dictating the polices that corporations and governments enact like we haven't seen before.
            No, I think he slowed it down. How often has Trump apologized for his Incorrectness? Once is all I can recall. Many conservatives applauded that and many followed suit (without being as juvenile about it).

Once Trump is gone, though, it will explode again.

Man, I really wish Rand Paul had run again. I realize he's not very popular - yet - but his policies are nearly identical to Trump. But without the Tweeting.

Comment

No, I think he slowed it down. How often has Trump apologized for his Incorrectness? Once is all I can recall. Many conservatives applauded that and many followed suit (without being as juvenile about it).

Once Trump is gone, though, it will explode again.

Man, I really wish Rand Paul had run again. I realize he's not very popular - yet - but his policies are nearly identical to Trump. But without the Tweeting.
              Are you not aware of the wave of social media banning and/or account restrictions going on? I've never seen anything like it before. In fact, Trump himself, short of being outright banned, is facing limitations on his twitter account (not sure if that was resolved yet or not).

Comment

Are you not aware of the wave of social media banning and/or account restrictions going on? I've never seen anything like it before. In fact, Trump himself, short of being outright banned, is facing limitations on his twitter account (not sure if that was resolved yet or not).
                I don't really use social media much, so I don't notice (although I've read about some of it). And they are private companies. They need more unfiltered competition, like Bitchute and DailyMotion. If people have uncensored alternatives they will leave those others behind.

Comment

I don't really use social media much, so I don't notice (although I've read about some of it). And they are private companies. They need more unfiltered competition, like Bitchute and DailyMotion. If people have uncensored alternatives they will leave those others behind.
                  My point was that all this unprecedented action stems from the PC culture gone amuck. But if you and CP aren't as connected into the social media world, it's understandable you may not notice. But it's also happening with professors, celebrities and pro athletes (in fact, the mob tried to get a soccer player ousted for something his wife said on social media). Either they're getting ousted from their careers or being forced to grovel and take the knee, or both. We saw some of this to a lesser degree earlier, but nothing like it is now, and the BLM resurgence movement seemed to give it an adrenaline boost.

Comment

My point was that all this unprecedented action stems from the PC culture gone amuck. But if you and CP aren't as connected into the social media world,...
                    I get your point.
                    I just happen to believe that Trump stood up to the PC crowd, they were initially set back, but then they came back with a vengeance, and, yes, they have gone psycholunarcrazy.

Comment

My point was that all this unprecedented action stems from the PC culture gone amuck. But if you and CP aren't as connected into the social media world, it's understandable you may not notice. But it's also happening with professors, celebrities and pro athletes (in fact, the mob tried to get a soccer player ousted for something his wife said on social media). Either they're getting ousted from their careers or being forced to grovel and take the knee, or both. We saw some of this to a lesser degree earlier, but nothing like it is now, and the BLM resurgence movement seemed to give it an adrenaline boost.
                      I consider "professors, celebrities and pro athletes" to be mostly on the Left. Or, at least, they are in professions dictated by the Left. That's why I believe it is mostly the Left eating each other over PC stuff.

Having said this, if people resist PC they often seem to get away with it. Like John Cleese of Monty Python fame was asked if his old troupe would apologize for all the blackface they did during their heyday, and other unpleasant characterizations they did of minorities. He said "never" and that basically ended it.

Comment

• While there is some ideological banning going on, I see conservatives hiding behind that veneer in some cases. Conservatives are crying censorship over Reddit banning the_donald, but the fact is that their moderators were not stopping people promoting real world violence, and the sitegave them hundreds of chances to get it under control. No sympathy here. The site also just banned a prominent liberal subreddit notorious for the same thing, though not quite as bad.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          While there is some ideological banning going on, I see conservatives hiding behind that veneer in some cases. Conservatives are crying censorship over Reddit banning the_donald, but the fact is that their moderators were not stopping people promoting real world violence, and the sitegave them hundreds of chances to get it under control. No sympathy here.
                          KG, it's not only happening to conservatives. It was happening to conservatives when it was happening earlier only not as rapidly as it's happening now. Now it's happening to folks that are also liberal just not of the loony radical variety. That's what makes what's happening so creepy.

Comment

Um... Then explain the massive increase in power of the Cancel Culture.

That he stands up to it is one of Trump's strengths. Unfortunately it is in an incredibly abrasive and snarky manner.

ETA: Never mind. I saw your elaboration/explanation HERE
                            Last edited by rogue06; 07-01-2020, 03:26 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

KG, it's not only happening to conservatives. It was happening to conservatives when it was happening earlier only not as rapidly as it's happening now. Now it's happening to folks that are also liberal just not of the loony radical variety. That's what makes what's happening so creepy.
                              In this particular case, the liberal victims were of the loony variety. And I suspect in the majority of cases of tech companies banning, it's fully justified, which is why I insist on case by case evaluations. Virtually everyone cast out had it coming.

Cancel culture in general is out of control, but I'm really focusing more on the tech companies here.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• I'm slowly starting to make a distinction between liberals and leftists (the loony left).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment