Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Retweeting Hate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retweeting Hate

Trump retweeted a video of a man shouting white power.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybe...-in-the-video/

Many here concede Trump is a malignant narcissist but not a racist. I disagree.
    I propose that’s it’s not that hard to convey you’re not racist and that Trump has failed spectacularly at that.

Originally posted by whag View Post

I propose that’s it’s not that hard to convey you’re not racist and that Trump has failed spectacularly at that.
    The Trump apologists are currently considering how to find any way to allow this to pass. Don't expect them to draw the line and say that this is too much. They lost integrity long ago. They have become better at comming up with excuses for confusing wrong with right.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
      The Trump apologists are currently considering how to find any way to allow this to pass. Don't expect them to draw the line and say that this is too much. They lost integrity long ago. They have become better at comming up with excuses for confusing wrong with right.
      In large part, I agree you are right about many in his base confusing wrong with right.

Case in point: Nepotism. Hunter Biden vs. Jared Kushner. To them, it’s okay to appoint Jared to a dozen different roles he’s not trained for.

By far, Jared Kushner is more corrupt having essentially been a slumlord real estate investor who made the life of his apartment tenants a living hell.

Comment

Realistically there's no way he watched the entire video. He probably just watched five seconds of it, saw someone was supporting him, and retweeted it. He tends to have a bad habit of not checking out the entire context of things he's retweeting.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          Realistically there's no way he watched the entire video. He probably just watched five seconds of it, saw someone was supporting him, and retweeted it. He tends to have a bad habit of not checking out the entire context of things he's retweeting.
          That's what the White House is saying.

"President Trump is a big fan of The Villages. He did not hear the one statement made on the video."

He really should hire an editor of sorts to vet his Tweets before they're sent out in order to avoid mistakes like this.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            That's what the White House is saying.

"President Trump is a big fan of The Villages. He did not hear the one statement made on the video."

He really should hire an editor of sorts to vet his Tweets before they're sent out in order to avoid mistakes like this.
            That we’re four years into his presidency without that basic business being taken care of isn’t surprising. He’s a horrible businessman, as has always been said of him. Business was his only “qualification.”

Without NBC resurrecting him as a star, he wouldn’t be president.

Comment

That we’re four years into his presidency without that basic business being taken care of isn’t surprising.
              Not especially.

He’s a horrible businessman...
              On the contrary, he's an extremely successful businessman. What he's not is a politician who has spent decades cultivating a slick public image to conceal who he really is. With Trump, what you see is literally what you get.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Yeah. I'm sure Trump thought "Hey, this should get me a lot of votes! I'll retweet racists shouting!"

OR .... as usual, he wasn't paying attention. Gee, I wonder which one

Comment

That is absolutely true. He fails almost every time, and that kind of track record is no accident.

With regards to this latest example, Richard Bolton was on Jake Tapper's show this morning, and when asked about the reTweet, he had something like this to say:

He thinks it's more likely that Trump paid no attention to the video beyond seeing it contain support for him, and retweeted it based on that shallow appraisal.

I guess this sounds plausible. Trump's got the attention span of a goldfish, and while I definitely believe he's a racist - this latest gaffe probably isn't the best example of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                    Yeah. I'm sure Trump thought "Hey, this should get me a lot of votes! I'll retweet racists shouting!"

OR .... as usual, he wasn't paying attention. Gee, I wonder which one
                    Like I said, it’s not hard to convey you’re not racist or incompetent. Trump fails at both.

Comment

Like I said, it’s not hard to convey you’re not racist or incompetent. Trump fails at both.
                      In this case it's Occam's razor. You'd need to find something less defensible to prove racism.

Here, he's just being stupid. This move is too sure a way to lose votes.

Comment

It's scary -- literally scary -- how you guys keep creating these "gotcha" threads about this faux claim of racism against Trump that always turns out to be bogus, yet you completely ignore Biden's past. Imagine if Trump had worked with white supremacists (not the fake "white supremacist" that's thrown around today by you clowns, but LITERAL 70s southern white supremacists) to vehemently oppose black segregation. It would be an open and shut case that Trump was a bonafide racist, even if Trump profusely apologized or made excuses for it. It would be a no-brainer. That type hypocrisy astounds the heck out of me.

Comment

He has got so many apologists who seemingly think they are called to try to clean up for him. It is right here in this thread. He can say whatever or do whatever, and there are people who see it as their higher calling to make sure he is not held accountable, to make sure others do not draw the line at this point or any of the previous points where they should have drawn the line if they actually cared about integrity.
                          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                            He has got so many apologists who seemingly think they are called to try to clean up for him. It is right here in this thread. He can say whatever or do whatever, and there are people who see it as their higher calling to make sure he is not held accountable, to make sure others do not draw the line at this point or any of the previous points where they should have drawn the line if they actually cared about integrity.
                            OK, you're right. Trump's retweet was acknowledging his racist buddies, because he knows their votes will outweigh everyone elses and he will win reelection on their strength alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                              OK, you're right. Trump's retweet was acknowledging his racist buddies, because he knows their votes will outweigh everyone elses and he will win reelection on their strength alone.

He will win partly on their strength and partly on the strength of people who do not really care, partly on people who see it as their higher calling to explain this all away, partly on people who are fooled by those who see it as their higher calling to make wrong look right and the like... You see, some people will support him no matter what. That is one reason he does not care too much about situations like the one we are discussing here.
                              Last edited by Charles; 06-28-2020, 03:28 PM.

Comment