Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Retweeting Hate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I'm slowly starting to make a distinction between liberals and leftists (the loony left).
    Unfortunately, the loony left has become so militant that the "moderate" liberals in politics are scared to death of them.
    Like Sleep Joe (was that yesterday) answering the question about the statues and monuments being torn down.
    He tried to walk a fine line between guarding the statutes of our nation's founders and those of confederate honor, but couldn't quite bring himself to condemn the chaos and mayhem outright.

The "moderate" liberals are scared to death of their loony left, because they can't win without them.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      In this particular case, the liberal victims were of the loony variety. And I suspect in the majority of cases of tech companies banning, it's fully justified, which is why I insist on case by case evaluations. Virtually everyone cast out had it coming.

Cancel culture in general is out of control, but I'm really focusing more on the tech companies here.
      Well, as far as what you said on top, you are wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
        Brands don't exist without businesses. Sorry.
        You said a brand IS a business. It is not. You even admitted you had a business with several brands. A brand is not a business. It is something a business owns and uses to sell it's product line. The name of the business could be the name of the brand, but they are not the same thing. Coca-cola Bottling Company owns the Coca-cola brand, which is ONE of their product lines. But they have others too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          You said a brand IS a business. It is not. You even admitted you had a business with several brands. A brand is not a business. It is something a business owns and uses to sell it's product line. The name of the business could be the name of the brand, but they are not the same thing. Coca-cola Bottling Company owns the Coca-cola brand, which is ONE of their product lines. But they have others too.
          I think we have to be careful not to toss anything we simply don't want to hear onto the "PC" scrap heap. Political correctness is a thing - and sometimes goes too far. But sometimes we DO have to look at the language we use, how it impacts those around us, how it reveals things about ourselves, and ask ourselves "should I make a change?" The words we choose say something about us. We can learn a lot about ourselves by taking a bit of time and reflecting on those choices.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            I think we have to be careful not to toss anything we simply don't want to hear onto the "PC" scrap heap. Political correctness is a thing - and sometimes goes too far. But sometimes we DO have to look at the language we use, how it impacts those around us, how it reveals things about ourselves, and ask ourselves "should I make a change?" The words we choose say something about us. We can learn a lot about ourselves by taking a bit of time and reflecting on those choices.
            Just curious -- how does this relate to Sparko's post on brands vs business?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Just curious -- how does this relate to Sparko's post on brands vs business?
              It doesn't. I thought I had hit "reply" and I accidentally hit "reply with quote."
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                It doesn't. I thought I had hit "reply" and I accidentally hit "reply with quote."
                Laughing.

That happens!

I think we all agree with your post - just to what extent. Where does one draw the line. It has gotten CRAZY. I can't say "Master Bedroom" because... slavery?

Comment

Laughing.

That happens!

I think we all agree with your post - just to what extent. Where does one draw the line. It has gotten CRAZY. I can't say "Master Bedroom" because... slavery?

The terms "master" and "slave" are widely used to refer to something that controls something else, or something that belongs to the person that is the "master." They are terms that are, without question, related to slavery. I never gave it much thought, until I adopted two black sons and suddenly found myself uncomfortable using those terms as I had habitually used them. That was the first time I asked myself "I wonder if black people refer to it as "the master bedroom?" I asked, and it turns out that they overwhelmingly do not, specifically because of the rooting of the words. It took only a little effort on my part to replace "master" with "main" and "slave" with "dependent" or "subsidiary" or whatever other term was appropriate for the context. If it causes someone else discomfort, and the reason for the discomfort is a reasonable/meaningful one, why would I refuse to make the adjustment? Just to be spiteful? Because it's too much bother?
                  Last edited by carpedm9587; 07-02-2020, 08:45 AM.

Comment

The terms "master" and "slave" are widely used to refer to something that controls something else, or something that belongs to the person that is the "master."
                    Yes, I'm well aware of that. Remember when computer hard drives were "master" and "slave" drives?

They are terms that are, without question, related to slavery.
                    They also refer to the Lord of the Universe. Paul identifies himself (as do others) as "slaves to Christ".

I never gave it much thought, until I adopted two black sons and suddenly found myself uncomfortable using those terms as I had habitually used them. That was the first time I asked myself "I wonder if black people refer to it as "the master bedroom?" I asked, and it turns out that they overwhelmingly do not, specifically because of the rooting of the words.
                    How can we have such incredibly opposite anecdotal experiences?

It took only a little effort on my part to replace "master" with "main" and "slave" with "dependent" or "subsidiary" or whatever other term was appropriate for the context. If it causes someone else discomfort, and the reason for the discomfort is a reasonable/meaningful one, why would I refuse to make the adjustment? Just to be spiteful?
                    So, you honestly say "you can sleep in the dependent bedroom"? That's also derogatory --- it makes it sound like it's 'dependent' on a superior. I just say "the guest room". SO much more welcoming.

Why would I say "dependent bedroom", just to be placating?

Comment

• A close friend of our family, who is black and involved with BLM, insists that nobody in the movement (obviously don't take "nobody" too literally, as we can see right here) actually cares about calling them master bedrooms and that focusing on that distracts from real issues like police reform.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        A close friend of our family, who is black and involved with BLM, insists that nobody in the movement (obviously don't take "nobody" too literally, as we can see right here) actually cares about calling them master bedrooms and that focusing on that distracts from real issues like police reform.
                        Yeah, my associate pastor, who is black, scoffs at that, as does my "boss" at the mission, who is black, and my FORMER associate pastor... I literally (and I mean that in the literal sense ) got goosebumps when we would pray every Wednesday morning at 6 AM, and he would always begin his prayer, on his knees, by taking a deep breath, then saying in a very "servant" way "Master....."

I often told Pastor Rufus (my black associate pastor who is now living in Heaven) "Rufus, when you die, I want your voice". (He had such a deep wonderful powerful voice)

Yeah, we can really get nutty with the side issues.

Comment

Yes, I'm well aware of that. Remember when computer hard drives were "master" and "slave" drives?
                          I do.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          They also refer to the Lord of the Universe. Paul identifies himself (as do others) as "slaves to Christ".
                          They do. The bible is a book written in a particular time - and slavery was common in that age and, AFAICT, not considered immoral by most

How can we have such incredibly opposite anecdotal experiences?
                          If by this you mean you've asked and most said they DO use this language, then I can only speculate on the reason. I don't think locale is one of them because I have asked people all around the country (I used to travel extensively for my work). However, most of the people I asked knew I have black sons, so maybe that was a factor? Or maybe it's how the question was asked? Other than that, I have no clue.

So, you honestly say "you can sleep in the dependent bedroom"?
                          Ummm... no. That sounds ridiculous. We have the main bedroom, or just "our bedroom." The rest are just bedrooms, or they are "Isaiah's bedroom" or "the guest room" or "the guest bedroom."

That's also derogatory --- it makes it sound like it's 'dependent' on a superior.
                          "Dependency" is not derogatory. Children are dependent on their parents. A car pooler is dependent on the driver of the day. Dependency just reflects the condition of having to count on something or someone else for some aspect of life.

I just say "the guest room". SO much more welcoming.
                          Agreed.

Why would I say "dependent bedroom", just to be placating?
                          Why would you say "dependent bedroom" at all?

Comment

Um what? Are you responding to the correct post?

Comment

Um what? Are you responding to the correct post?
                              No - my post was intended to be a general post - and I hit "reply with quote" instead of "reply." Feel free to delete the quoted part - it was not my intention to include it and I cannot exclude it now because we are way past the 15-minute limit.

Comment

If by this you mean you've asked and most said they DO use this language, then I can only speculate on the reason. I don't think locale is one of them because I have asked people all around the country (I used to travel extensively for my work). However, most of the people I asked knew I have black sons, so maybe that was a factor? Or maybe it's how the question was asked? Other than that, I have no clue.
                                They don't care one way or the other - a master bedroom is a master bedroom, and we never say "the slave bedroom".

Ummm... no. That sounds ridiculous. We have the main bedroom, or just "our bedroom." The rest are just bedrooms, or they are "Isaiah's bedroom" or "the guest room" or "the guest bedroom."
                                So, no "slave bedrooms".

"Dependency" is not derogatory. Children are dependent on their parents. A car pooler is dependent on the driver of the day. Dependency just reflects the condition of having to count on something or someone else for some aspect of life.
                                What is the guest bedroom "dependent" upon? That just sounds nutty in that context. [ok, hold that thought.....]

Why would you say "dependent bedroom" at all?
                                Because I misread your post?

Anyway, "master bedroom" does not imply in anyway that there is a "slave" bedroom. In fact, many new homes have TWO master suites!!!

Comment