Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supreme court strikes down Louisiana law restricting abortions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    I think you would be better employed examining [and addressing] the reasons behind why it appears that within the USA more women from ethnic minorities seek abortions.
    Well, it's not racism driving black women to abort their offspring if that's where you're going. Anti-black racism epidemic in the US is a myth. Sure, there are grave issues in the black community, but most, if not all, are self-inflicted. And so here we are. An anti-black racism myth being sensationalized by the left vs. a real situation where blacks are literally being eliminated far more than whites that is actually celebrated by the left. Welcome to the twilight zone of political paradoxes
    Last edited by seanD; 07-02-2020, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      Well, it's not racism driving black women to abort their offspring if that's where you're going.
      I am not "going" anywhere. You appear to doing that.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I am not "going" anywhere. You appear to doing that.
        I assumed because that seems to be the current flavor of leftist politics. Everything is racism or influenced by racism.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          Convenience. Plain and simple.
          Oh you are back. How did the assessment go? It must been quite arduous to have taken up an entire week or more, even necessitating your giving up both your days and evenings to it.

And it was so unfortunate that it came along at the precise moment in an exchange between us when I had put a series of points to you, and to which you were thereby unable to respond.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            I assumed because that seems to be the current flavor of leftist politics. Everything is racism or influenced by racism.
            It is unwise to make assumptions about your interlocutor.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Oh you are back. How did the assessment go? It must been quite arduous to have taken up an entire week or more, even necessitating your giving up both your days and evenings to it.

And it was so unfortunate that it came along at the precise moment in an exchange between us when I had put a series of points to you, and to which you were thereby unable to respond.
              Just hopped on for a few minutes. Yeah, the assessment went well. Did a cybersecurity health check for a company that builds the Sea Sparrow missiles for all of NATO. They did well. Kept me very busy. Now, since it is the 4th weekend, I will most likely be out of pocket until Monday. I will have more time next week.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

This was a very interesting decision! The issue here was deemed to be the same or very similar to the 2016 scotus case regarding a Texas law which Roberts CJ was in the minority for. Due to this Roberts CJ considered this issue as already settled by scotus and while he disagreed with the majority he still took their side by following the 2016 precedent.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                  This was a very interesting decision! The issue here was deemed to be the same or very similar to the 2016 scotus case regarding a Texas law which Roberts CJ was in the minority for. Due to this Roberts CJ considered this issue as already settled by scotus and while he disagreed with the majority he still took their side by following the 2016 precedent.
                  As several people in this forum have said, Roberts made it clear that it's possible for states in the future to have laws similar to this one, as long as they avoid crafting the same problems found in this decision and in the one for Texas. Roberts may have temporarily become a liberal hero with this decision, but he's far from a liberal in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                    As several people in this forum have said, Roberts made it clear that it's possible for states in the future to have laws similar to this one, as long as they avoid crafting the same problems found in this decision and in the one for Texas. Roberts may have temporarily become a liberal hero with this decision, but he's far from a liberal in general.
                    But the problems found with this law was the underlying purpose of this law i.e to restrict access to abortions.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                      But the problems found with this law was the underlying purpose of this law i.e to restrict access to abortions.
                      That's right, but it'd be fairly easy (according to Roberts' written decision) to craft a similar law that had an apparently different intent. In other words, he's not against the law, per se, but what it was intended to accomplish (as far as I understand the ruling).

He seems to have been clear that he wouldn't necessarily rule against a similar law crafted differently.

edit: I'm just saying that while this decision is a minor(ish) loss for the pro-life crowd, there's reason for them to be encouraged by the ruling. I'm mostly pro-choice myself.
                      Last edited by Whateverman; 07-03-2020, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        Just hopped on for a few minutes. Yeah, the assessment went well. Did a cybersecurity health check for a company that builds the Sea Sparrow missiles for all of NATO. They did well. Kept me very busy. Now, since it is the 4th weekend, I will most likely be out of pocket until Monday. I will have more time next week.
                        Glad to hear it all went smoothly.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That's right, but it'd be fairly easy (according to Roberts' written decision) to craft a similar law that had an apparently different intent. In other words, he's not against the law, per se, but what it was intended to accomplish (as far as I understand the ruling).

He seems to have been clear that he wouldn't necessarily rule against a similar law crafted differently.

edit: I'm just saying that while this decision is a minor(ish) loss for the pro-life crowd, there's reason for them to be encouraged by the ruling. I'm mostly pro-choice myself.
                          The law itself was regarding admitting privileges. The practical effect of this law in Louisiana would have shut down nearly all the abortion clinics. The argument was that the law was unconstitutional because it severely restricted access to abortions thus impeding the ability to exercise this constitutional right.

The decision in 2016 held that a law cannot impose restrictions that would cause an undue burden to woman seeking abortions. Following this precedent Roberts sided with the majority.

So the key point here is not what the law says but what it does. Abortion clinics requiring admitting privileges is not the thing that’s unconstitutional and if it’s application in a State doesn’t cause the massive closures of abortion clinics then that would be fine. So there’s no need to draft a new law it just needs to contain provisions that would allow the majority of abortion clinics to remain in service. That’s why this ruling is specific to Louisiana but Roberts stayed that this law would be fine in Ohio as it wouldn’t result in massive closures due to something to do with ambulances.

I wouldn’t call this a minor loss as it revealed the makeup of this SCOTUS having 5 judges who, regardless of reason, hold the positions:

1. Abortion is a constitutional right
                          2. Undue burden placed on a woman’s ability to receive abortion services are unconstitutional.

Comment

All human life doesn't have equal rights. It never has, and it never will.
                            wow. In our country at least they do - especially the right to life, unless they do something to lose those rights (convicted of a crime)
                            This seems to be the central point though. Abortionists devalue certain lives in favor of others. Kinda like the way slave owners devalued black lives 150 years ago. Makes it easier to kill someone when you can dehumanize them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              All human life doesn't have equal rights. It never has, and it never will.
                              wow. In our country at least they do
                              That is false. However:

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              especially the right to life
                              If all human life in this country has equal rights, then saying "especially the right to life" literally makes no sense.

---

Infants can't drive cars, and sometimes older people are denied that same right, so it's patently obvious that all human life in this country doesn't have equal rights. Pre-pubescents can't get married, non-police officers can't drive faster than the speed limit, kids can't vote - there are a host of limitations on the rights different human life has.

If abortion is legal, the unborn do not have the same right to life that a born baby does. Literally.

Comment

....Infants can't drive cars, and sometimes older people are denied that same right, so it's patently obvious that all human life in this country doesn't have equal rights.....
                                You've strayed into the other two "rights" --- besides life, there's liberty and the pursuit of happiness. An infant can pursue the happiness of driving by starting out with the little kiddie cars, strollers, whatever, and growing up to study for and obtain a drivers license.

People don't have a "right" to be happy, but they do have a right to pursue it.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment