Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supreme court strikes down Louisiana law restricting abortions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    What are you talking about? How is saying you have cognitive dissonance an ad hominem?
    Darth Ex you are intelligent enough that you can understand a request about being treated with respect. I ask you to meet it and I find no reason why you’d hesitate if I treat you well.

Do you have any evidence that murdering an abortionist is counter-productive? I've observed the opposite, that people who are otherwise not hostile to Christians or pro-lifers think we don't really care about unborn children because we won't use violence to protect them.
    Yes, it can be seen both in terms of public support, as well as the political down fall from every case of these. I have not met a single person in my life with a positive reaction towards pro life act of terrorism. On the contrary, since it violates dignity of life it seems entirely inconsistent.

It's the hardcore abortion lovers that use the (extremely rare) violence against abortion providers as a bludgeon to guilt trip people like you into acting like you don't really care.
    Again, stop making this personal. I have always stated my support of the dignity of life, both here and amongst friends when the opportunity was right.

What about the dignity of the life of the Nazis
    At best this line of argument would commit me to being against freedom fighters. I stated as much to you in our last discussion.

So what? This is an arbitrary distinction with no merit.
    I outlined several distinctions. There is hardly anymore of a comparison between the two than between BLM protestors and the Boston Tea Party.

George Tiller for example was one of only 3 partial birth abortionists in the country. Killing him certainly reduced their number for a while.
    The majority of the change has been due to other factors. The fraction of late term abortions is unchanged.

Anyway, if you could be convinced that anti-abortion violence was effective and there was a Christian army who would liberate the world from liberal progressive hegemony in a few years would you support violence against them?
    Probably not, but then the argument would at least have enough of a standing to be deserved a hearing. Right now I don’t think it passes the smell test.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Darth Ex you are intelligent enough that you can understand a request about being treated with respect. I ask you to meet it and I find no reason why you’d hesitate if I treat you well.
      Telling someone they are wrong is not disrespect.

Yes, it can be seen both in terms of public support, as well as the political down fall from every case of these.
      You mean like the political "downfall" of Muslims, who became protected classes despite countless acts of terrorism?

At best this line of argument would commit me to being against freedom fighters. I stated as much to you in our last discussion.
      That's fine. I have no hard opinion on which stance is correct. I just don't think cherrypicking which vigilante you support is a consistent position, unlike the two positions I outlined.

I outlined several distinctions. There is hardly anymore of a comparison between the two than between BLM protestors and the Boston Tea Party.
      You outlined several distinctions of questionable relevance. What you claim to be a consistent stand for the dignity of all life falls to the wayside when it comes to killing Nazis.

I could explain why you have a visceral reaction to one but not the other but you'd probably accuse me of disrespecting you again.

Probably not
      Well then even you recognize that you are only finding distinctions between the two because you only want to support one act of vigilantism and the rationalizations come after.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Telling someone they are wrong is not disrespect.
        That is not merely what you are doing.

I have no hard opinion on which stance is correct.
        You stated that Christians are doing harm to Christianity arguing that pro-life terrorism is bad.

You outlined several distinctions of questionable relevance. What you claim to be a consistent stand for the dignity of all life falls to the wayside when it comes to killing Nazis.
        I disagree, the two situations are quite different. I believe what freedom fighters did is defensible in principle, under those circumstances. What pro-life terrorists do does not accomplish any goal except to satisfy an urge of violence. It can demonstrated that they had zero lasting impact, and can be argued quite well that they have done harm to pro-life movement.

I could explain why you have a visceral reaction to one but not the other but you'd probably accuse me of disrespecting you again.
        Again Darth Ex, I’d prefer for you just to make the case you want to advance and we can discuss that. I have been psycho-analyzing you, so please stop that.
        Last edited by Leonhard; 06-30-2020, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Justice Roberts casts deciding vote in overturning Louisiana abortion restrictions law in win for Pro-choice advocates.
          Yes, because it is always a "win" when liberals get to kill more babies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Yes, because it is always a "win" when liberals get to kill more babies.
            It's a win for a womens right to choose to do with their own bodies and lives what they will rather than having men lord it over them. Abortion is legal and state laws such as Louisiana's are simply attempts to make what is legal nearly immpossible to achieve. Abortion is either legal or it is not, at the moment it is legal, so making it as difficult as possible to achieve is just a way of states trying to circumvent the law.

Comment

Just because it's causing you cognitive dissonance doesn't mean there is no parallel. There is in fact a parallel, which is that both abortionists and Nazis were mass murderers
              Oh please spare us.

Women are not selected [or denounced by their dutiful fellow citizens] because of their ethnic background, and then arrested and forced on to cattle trucks to be sent hundreds of miles away where they will either be immediately slaughtered or worked to death.

The histrionics you exhibit are quite farcical.

Perhaps you ought to start by asking the question, why are so many women in the USA [particularly those from ethnic minorities] seeking abortions?
              "It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Perhaps you ought to start by asking the question, why are so many women in the USA [particularly those from ethnic minorities] seeking abortions?
                Because they've been cleverly deceived into thinking that the fight is not about killing minorities but about equality for women and their rights. A much better question is: why are liberals so diehard about the law (I mean like it's practically a religion to them) when they know the majority of fetuses killed are black? Don't black lives matter? Or is it that there are too many black lives for us to worry about, thus we need a method to curb that, but those dwindling number of blacks that make it through the process matter to us?

Comment

A small but satisfying win...

Supreme Court says Constitution protects Montana scholarship program that indirectly funds religious schools

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/30/supr...olarships.html
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                    Because they've been cleverly deceived into thinking that the fight is not about killing minorities but about equality for women and their rights.
                    Do you genuinely believe there’s a secret liberal cabal targeting minorities via abortion?

A much better question is: why are liberals so diehard about the law (I mean like it's practically a religion to them) when they know the majority of fetuses killed are black?
                    Knowing my friends it goes as follows: Abortions are a way for women to regain control of their lives. This is a good. Abortions are good for that reason. It is not wrong for a lot of women to seek abortions. And if a large number of minority women seek abortions this is a symptom of their socio-economic situation.
                    Last edited by Leonhard; 06-30-2020, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Do you genuinely believe there’s a secret liberal cabal targeting minorities via abortion?

Knowing my friends it goes as follows: Abortions are a way for women to regain control of their lives. This is a good. Abortions are good for that reason. It is not wrong for a lot of women to seek abortions. And if a large number of minority women seek abortions this is a symptom of their socio-economic situation.
                      The historical roots of eugenics (i.e. population control) are strangely intertwined with the left and abortion, as I pointed out in that other thread. It's a heck of a coincidence to me that minorities are aborted the most when they were thought of as the inferior race or the "undesirables" during the 20th century by some of the same eugenicists and their discussions. A practice today that eliminates minorities at an exorbitant rate than whites worked out to be quite convenient for them, didn't it. But more to the point, even aside of it being a coincidence or not, is the absurd paradox of the left and their incessant obsession with race today, yet totally overlook this weird disturbing phenomenon and even CELEBRATE it. It's like twilight zone level irony. Do I think all liberals are part of a eugenicists cabal (if one exists). No, as I said, they're useful idiots. They're driven by a heart that the bible says is naturally bent towards wickedness, as we all are, only it's worse in their case because most have no spiritual restraint at all.
                      Last edited by seanD; 06-30-2020, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        It's a win for a womens right to choose to do with their own bodies and lives what they will rather than having men lord it over them. Abortion is legal and state laws such as Louisiana's are simply attempts to make what is legal nearly immpossible to achieve. Abortion is either legal or it is not, at the moment it is legal, so making it as difficult as possible to achieve is just a way of states trying to circumvent the law.
                        right because women are helpless and at men's mercy when they get pregnant in the first place, and then men force them to have babies.

So naturally the solution is to kill their babies so they can be free.

If I recall when a woman tried that by drowning her kids, she ended up in prison instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          right because women are helpless and at men's mercy when they get pregnant in the first place, and then men force them to have babies.

So naturally the solution is to kill their babies so they can be free.

If I recall when a woman tried that by drowning her kids, she ended up in prison instead.
                          All human life doesn't have equal rights. It never has, and it never will.

As a supporter of a woman's right to opt for an abortion, I think it's perfectly reasonable to not want fetuses aborted. I would bend over backwards to avoid it happening to my progeny if I was ever in the situation of it potentially being aborted.

Nevertheless, a one-month old clump of cells isn't the same as an octogenarian, and should never be treated otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                            All human life doesn't have equal rights. It never has, and it never will.

As a supporter of a woman's right to opt for an abortion, I think it's perfectly reasonable to not want fetuses aborted. I would bend over backwards to avoid it happening to my progeny if I was ever in the situation of it potentially being aborted.

Nevertheless, a one-month old clump of cells isn't the same as an octogenarian, and should never be treated otherwise.
                            Right. The Octo has lived his/her/zer/zis life, and has nothing but death to look forward to. The fetus has its whole life to look forward to. Thus, the fetus is more valuable.
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Yes. Her name was Margaret Sanger.
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                                Right. The Octo has lived his/her/zer/zis life....
                                You owe me a cup of coffee, brother, and some of them computer screen wipe cloths.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment