Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Supreme court strikes down Louisiana law restricting abortions.

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    They have accomplices among progressives who shield them from both criminal prosecution and vigilantes.
    I'm against pro-life terrorism if that is what you mean by vigilantism. I prefer peaceful protests, and advocating our positions tirelessly.

2. Amen Sparko, Christianbookworm amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Whateverman View Post
    Given that it's a "whole industry" doing this, you should be able to post three examples of that industry teaching women that "it's only a clump of cells".
    Well, here's the problem.
    Anything I post is obviously going to be from a pro-life source, which you'll dispute.
    You don't have the first clue as to what I will or wont dispute :)

The rest of your response makes it clear that you can't (or in any case wont) support your claim.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Actually, I think I do - you've made quite a name for yourself here.

The rest of your response makes it clear that you can't (or in any case wont) support your claim.
    I did, but as I already said, you'd dispute it!
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since youíve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?Ē

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    I'm against pro-life terrorism if that is what you mean by vigilantism. I prefer peaceful protests, and advocating our positions tirelessly.
    The point I was making is that they make sure no action, legal or illegal, can be taken to stop them.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    if you mean Margaret Sanger, she was against abortion
    Did she actually mention abortion in her writings? I know her basic premise was eliminating "the inferiors" so "the superiors" could thrive and society would be better off, though she was very cloaked when it came to specific races, unlike many of her 20th century colleagues who argued the same thing but were much more overt about the "inferior races." I suspect there were some shrewd eugenicists that were much more careful about the language they used so as not to spook societal and political support, not unlike many liberals today who have cleverly managed to turn it into a "female equality" issue.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Given that it's a "whole industry" doing this, you should be able to post three examples of that industry teaching women that "it's only a clump of cells".
    Well, here's the problem.
    Anything I post is obviously going to be from a pro-life source, which you'll dispute.
    Actually, I think I do
    Thinking played no part in your opinion.

You're welcome to support your claim, but it's clear by now that you'd rather change the subject. Indeed, that seems to be your shtick in general.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Did she actually mention abortion in her writings? I know her basic premise was eliminating "the inferiors" so "the superiors" could thrive and society would be better off, though she was very cloaked when it came to specific races, unlike many of her 20th century colleagues who argued the same thing but were much more overt about the "inferior races." I suspect there were some shrewd eugenicists that were much more careful about the language they used so as not to spook societal and political support, not unlike many liberals today who have cleverly managed to turn it into a "female equality" issue.
    What I meant was, did she actually give a definitive opinion of support one way or the other. She seemed neutral about the subject.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What I meant was, did she actually give a definitive opinion of support one way or the other. She seemed neutral about the subject.
    Yeah, I've been trying to prove or disprove her support for abortion, but she seems to be all over the map. Gloria Steinem even seems to indicate that Sanger said what she needed to say in order to advance her narrative.

As Gloria Steinem pointed out in a 1998 essay for TIME, Sangerís embrace of the eugenics rhetoric may have been less a heartfelt belief than a political ploy to broaden birth controlís appeal. But even speaking the language of eugenics could be insidious. Steinem writes:

[Sanger] adopted the mainstream eugenics language of the day, partly as a tactic, since many eugenicists opposed birth control on the grounds that the educated would use it more. Though her own work was directed toward voluntary birth control and public health programs, her use of eugenics language probably helped justify sterilization abuse. Her misjudgments should cause us to wonder what parallel errors we are making now and to question any tactics that fail to embody the ends we hope to achieve.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since youíve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?Ē

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Wikipedia says so but despite their age I'm having trouble finding searchable digital versions of the relevant texts.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah, I've been trying to prove or disprove her support for abortion, but she seems to be all over the map. Gloria Steinem even seems to indicate that Sanger said what she needed to say in order to advance her narrative.

As Gloria Steinem pointed out in a 1998 essay for TIME, Sangerís embrace of the eugenics rhetoric may have been less a heartfelt belief than a political ploy to broaden birth controlís appeal. But even speaking the language of eugenics could be insidious. Steinem writes:

[Sanger] adopted the mainstream eugenics language of the day, partly as a tactic, since many eugenicists opposed birth control on the grounds that the educated would use it more. Though her own work was directed toward voluntary birth control and public health programs, her use of eugenics language probably helped justify sterilization abuse. Her misjudgments should cause us to wonder what parallel errors we are making now and to question any tactics that fail to embody the ends we hope to achieve.
    There's no doubt she was an eugenicist but the idea that she supported abortion or wanted to exterminate black people doesn't seem to match what I've read of her writings.