Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

On Behalf Of Environmentalists, I Apologize For The Climate Scare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    Well if you asked me to create a list of most severe threats to humanity it would mostly be things we're not in a position to do anything about (involving outer space - like gamma ray bursts, the sun going out, giant meteors hitting earth), but probably climate change and nuclear war and possibly pandemics would be the 2-3 highest of the list of serious threats we're in a position to do something about.

So yes, it is a serious threat, like nuclear war is, and needs to be considered carefully, seriously, and rationally, and steps need to be taken to ensure worst-case scenarios don't come to pass.

I guess I don't see a problem with people over-hyping the threat because the downsides of taking it too seriously are infinitesimal in comparison to the downsides of not taking it seriously enough. Were there people in the 50s and 60s who took the threat of nuclear war too seriously, and scared themselves silly with the thought of it and had panic attacks about it? Sure. Probably. Were those people who were too worried about nuclear war, overall, truly a problem for the world? Not really. A few overanxious people is a pretty small price to pay for erring on the side of caution. Actually having a large scale nuclear war would have been utterly catastrophic by comparison.

I see climate change the same way. A few people hyperventilating about the threat? Doesn't really matter in the greater scheme of things. Climate change actually occurring on a large scale? Devastating. Whole countries could become uninhabitable, and entire populations of peoples would be forced to migrate on a scale we haven't seen in recorded human history, which would probably then lead to wars over habitable territory on a scale we haven't seen before (perhaps nuclear war in the worst case scenario). And even in countries least affected, the economic meltdown as previously arable land becomes unfit for purpose and the previously most-expensive seaside real-estate goes to zero in value, could cause economic depressions and job losses the likes of which we haven't seen before. If the oceans continue to acidify due to increased CO2 in them, pretty much all marine life will die, which will mean that any and all peoples, economies, and countries who make a living on fish or primarily eat fish will starve or go bankrupt. Hopefully, none of that will happen. Personally, I am optimistic about the future and don't think it will happen, because I think humanity will do a good enough job of recognizing the danger and acting to prevent the worst case scenarios.

But it doesn't seem to me to be a huge problem if AOC says we need to start addressing the issue within 12 years and it turns out that that is factually incorrect and that actually only need to start addressing the issue within 112 years. If we act in haste to address the issue more speedily than we absolutely needed to, there is nothing wrong with that. Finishing your homework assignment early isn't bad. Leaving it til the last minute is. Makes me scratch my head as to why you would care so much about people being too worried about climate change. There seem very few downsides to being too worried, and obvious downsides to being not concerned enough if that leads the world to not act in time.
    Again, I appreciate your serious response, and the time you took to ponder it.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
      So, you ignore what he posted, and push him around because you didn't like him proving you wrong?
      No.

Yeah, that's what I'm coming to expect more and more from these forums. It's the main reason I left them almost a decade ago, and your post here suggests that it might be necessary again.
      But, here you are.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        Do the facts cause irritation?
        The Sahara dust cloud does - it's supposed to move out by Friday.

Comment

I think it might be more accurate to regard it as a major threat to human society was we in the west now live it. I am sure that humanity will continue - albeit possibly at somewhat different technological levels.

However, as Starlight pointed out it may/will have a profound impact on human societies around the world with attendant risks of war over resources [habitable land and water] as well as the increased risk of more pandemics as humans encroach ever further into hitherto untouched ecosystems.

A palaeontologist friend jocularly suggested that, among the advice given to parents, the recommendation to teach their children to knap flint and make fire should be included.
          Thank you, also, for a polite and reasoned response.

I think part of this is that the MSM seem capable of only tracking ONE major story at a time. They pound on "Climate Change" until there's something else that comes along that's more titillating, then they all, en masse, turn to that.

I've seen very little actual "Climate Change" coverage in the last.... what, six months?

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
            So, you ignore what he posted, and push him around because you didn't like him proving you wrong?
            Just out of curiosity, Wem, on what, exactly, did Shuny prove me wrong? Let's see if you're capable of calm reasoned discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              Says the person that needs to go back to school to learn that a question can be a statement.

Source: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/logical-and-critical-thinking/0/steps/9136#:~:text=Questions%2C%20commands%20and%20advice%20are,used%20to%20express%20a%20statement.

Questions, commands and advice are typically not statements, because they do not express something that is either true or false. But sometimes people use them rhetorically to express statements. We saw an example of a question which by itself is not a statement, but can be used to express a statement.

© Copyright Original Source

Since Shuny's name has been brought up after he was booted, and he is being discussed, we generally allow that person back in the thread to defend themselves.

Shuny - you are welcome back in.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I made an observation that COVID seems to have cured "Climate Change"

All of a sudden, "Climate Change" has dropped to the background, and has pretty much become a non-issue, as all of its apologists seem to be embattled in the raging COVID battle.
                It hasn't become a non-issue, just a less urgent one.

Coronavirus is killing 5000 people every day.
                Climate change isn't.

Also, part of the shift of emphasis can be attributed to the climate change deniers hereabouts becoming coronavirus danger deniers instead.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  It hasn't become a non-issue, just a less urgent one.

Coronavirus is killing 5000 people every day.
                  Climate change isn't.

Also, part of the shift of emphasis can be attributed to the climate change deniers hereabouts becoming coronavirus danger deniers instead.
                  Interesting perspective.

Thanks, Roy.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    No. But alarmists do.
                    I am not an alarmist. I am stating a fact, Shellenberger is not a scientist.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    The things that you're liable
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life
                    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Thank you, also, for a polite and reasoned response.

I think part of this is that the MSM seem capable of only tracking ONE major story at a time. They pound on "Climate Change" until there's something else that comes along that's more titillating, then they all, en masse, turn to that.

I've seen very little actual "Climate Change" coverage in the last.... what, six months?
                      We had some coverage here in continental Europe commenting on the rapid drop in air pollution and showing photographs of heavily polluted cities from around the world "before" and "after" as it were.

The EU is also working on a "greener" economy for the future. https://www.euractiv.com/section/ene...recovery-plan/. How much of that may be achieved remains to be seen.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

We had some coverage here in continental Europe commenting on the rapid drop in air pollution and showing photographs of heavily polluted cities from around the world "before" and "after" as it were.
                        I found a few of those, but I had to dig. You'd think that would be bigger news. Perhaps the COVID, along with the current wave of "peaceful protests" in the US is pushing that back.

The EU is also working on a "greener" economy for the future. https://www.euractiv.com/section/ene...recovery-plan/. How much of that may be achieved remains to be seen.
                        For the record, I've been a conservationist all my life.

Comment

I found a few of those, but I had to dig. You'd think that would be bigger news. Perhaps the COVID, along with the current wave of "peaceful protests" in the US is pushing that back.
                          That does tend to be the policy of MSM, particularly in today's world of "rolling news 24/7". I do not know about you, but at times I became distinctly fatigued with the constant emphasis on the pandemic.

For the record, I've been a conservationist all my life.
                          You must be dismayed at some of the recent policy decisions being announced by your administration then.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That does tend to be the policy of MSM, particularly in today's world of "rolling news 24/7". I do not know about you, but at times I became distinctly fatigued with the constant emphasis on the pandemic.
                            I think that's a major problem -- people get so tired of it, along with the conflicting information -- that it becomes like "heck with this, I'm going about my life".

You must be dismayed at some of the recent policy decisions being announced by your administration then.
                            I tend to focus on Texas and my surrounding area. I can actually do something about that.

Comment

Did he claim to be a scientist? He is an activist and apparently well known one at that, and he is apologizing for his part in promoting Climate Change Alarmism.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                Did he claim to be a scientist?
                                mossrose considered that he was. She wrote, "Actually, I expect the alarmists will be along promptly to tell us that the writer of the piece is obviously not a real scientist and therefore the entire thing can be pooh-poohed and dismissed out of hand."
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment