Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: On Behalf Of Environmentalists, I Apologize For The Climate Scare

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, I get that, but "Climate Change" was the biggest threat to mankind EVER, and we were constantly being warned and threatened....

It remains the greatest threat to humanity.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    It remains the greatest threat to humanity.
    Says the guy who can't tell the difference between a statement and a question.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Okay then, let's try for one that's more likely to upset you / make you think.

20 years ago I was a Christian. If I now wrote an article apologising to the world for all the evils of Christianity and admitting how wrong it was about all its key claims, and gave it to you and your fellow Christians here to read, do you think you would take it at all seriously? I don't.

Do you think it's fair to expect a different response when you post something from some random guy, and expect us to take it seriously because he was an environmentalist 20 years ago?
    In that case you would be seeking forgiveness in all the wrong places.

4. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Says the guy who can't tell the difference between a statement and a question.
    Says the person that needs to go back to school to learn that a question can be a statement.

Source: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/logical-and-critical-thinking/0/steps/9136#:~:text=Questions%2C%20commands%20and%20advice%20are,used%20to%20express%20a%20statement.

Questions, commands and advice are typically not statements, because they do not express something that is either true or false. But sometimes people use them rhetorically to express statements. We saw an example of a question which by itself is not a statement, but can be used to express a statement.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

6. Amen Whateverman amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Says the person that needs to go back to school to learn that a question can be a statement.
    Says the duiffis (is that how you spell it?) who can't figure out your and you're.

Bye, Shuny --- you are OUTTA here.

(since you have a hard time understanding the English language - this means you are being instructed to leave the thread)
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Says the duiffis (is that how you spell it?) who can't figure out your and you're.

(since you have a hard time understanding the English language - this means you are being instructed to leave the thread)
    You've really lost it.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah, I get that, but "Climate Change" was the biggest threat to mankind EVER, and we were constantly being warned and threatened....
    Well if you asked me to create a list of most severe threats to humanity it would mostly be things we're not in a position to do anything about (involving outer space - like gamma ray bursts, the sun going out, giant meteors hitting earth), but probably climate change and nuclear war and possibly pandemics would be the 2-3 highest of the list of serious threats we're in a position to do something about.

So yes, it is a serious threat, like nuclear war is, and needs to be considered carefully, seriously, and rationally, and steps need to be taken to ensure worst-case scenarios don't come to pass.

I guess I don't see a problem with people over-hyping the threat because the downsides of taking it too seriously are infinitesimal in comparison to the downsides of not taking it seriously enough. Were there people in the 50s and 60s who took the threat of nuclear war too seriously, and scared themselves silly with the thought of it and had panic attacks about it? Sure. Probably. Were those people who were too worried about nuclear war, overall, truly a problem for the world? Not really. A few overanxious people is a pretty small price to pay for erring on the side of caution. Actually having a large scale nuclear war would have been utterly catastrophic by comparison.

I see climate change the same way. A few people hyperventilating about the threat? Doesn't really matter in the greater scheme of things. Climate change actually occurring on a large scale? Devastating. Whole countries could become uninhabitable, and entire populations of peoples would be forced to migrate on a scale we haven't seen in recorded human history, which would probably then lead to wars over habitable territory on a scale we haven't seen before (perhaps nuclear war in the worst case scenario). And even in countries least affected, the economic meltdown as previously arable land becomes unfit for purpose and the previously most-expensive seaside real-estate goes to zero in value, could cause economic depressions and job losses the likes of which we haven't seen before. If the oceans continue to acidify due to increased CO2 in them, pretty much all marine life will die, which will mean that any and all peoples, economies, and countries who make a living on fish or primarily eat fish will starve or go bankrupt. Hopefully, none of that will happen. Personally, I am optimistic about the future and don't think it will happen, because I think humanity will do a good enough job of recognizing the danger and acting to prevent the worst case scenarios.

But it doesn't seem to me to be a huge problem if AOC says we need to start addressing the issue within 12 years and it turns out that that is factually incorrect and that actually only need to start addressing the issue within 112 years. If we act in haste to address the issue more speedily than we absolutely needed to, there is nothing wrong with that. Finishing your homework assignment early isn't bad. Leaving it til the last minute is. Makes me scratch my head as to why you would care so much about people being too worried about climate change. There seem very few downsides to being too worried, and obvious downsides to being not concerned enough if that leads the world to not act in time.
    Last edited by Starlight; 06-30-2020 at 09:47 PM.

10. Amen EvoUK, Hypatia_Alexandria, Roy amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

So, you ignore what he posted, and push him around because you didn't like him proving you wrong?

Yeah, that's what I'm coming to expect more and more from these forums. It's the main reason I left them almost a decade ago, and your post here suggests that it might be necessary again.

12. Amen shunyadragon, Hypatia_Alexandria, JimL amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Death & Taxes
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Pretty much, yeah. COVID and anarchy have pretty much taken all the oxygen out of the "Climate Change" debate.
    For those who only read/watch the popular press, possibly.
    "Fables should be taught as fables, myths as myths, and miracles as poetic fantasies."

Faith
    Death & Taxes
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whateverman View Post
    So, you ignore what he posted, and push him around because you didn't like him proving you wrong?

Yeah, that's what I'm coming to expect more and more from these forums. It's the main reason I left them almost a decade ago, and your post here suggests that it might be necessary again.
    Remember Acton's warning to his son regarding power!
    "Fables should be taught as fables, myths as myths, and miracles as poetic fantasies."

15. Amen Whateverman amen'd this post.